scam?

paneuro

Featured Posts

Hi. I came to the forum for general info .........

...... Then i found this.

The entertainment value is Priceless.........

You want entertainment?, go google "419 scam" - many you find just recount the trash that the scammers send out, but other relate the type of story that Biggles tells. 419 Eater is a good place to start - read the one about the scammer having to join the Holy Church of The Order of The Red Breast.....then there's the one I recall where the baiter conned the scammer into buying himself a new PC due to (false) virii (HERE on 419hell.com)

Disclaimer - you MUST NOT keep any drinks near your computer when reading these - I will NOT replace your keyboard/laptop/tablet if damaged by liquids (or any other PC-unfriendly means) biggrin.png

eta................and welcome to CWDF! .....and I found the 'new PC' link

Edited by OldGoldy

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys

I've seen this advert too and was wondering if you got to the bottom of whether it's definitely above board and genuine at all? The lady seems very keen to get me to do the deal and not so keen to give me safety certificates etc.. Can you tell me what conclusion you came to over it?

Thanks

John

Since the chat this message.

I have contacted eBay Buyer Protection Department and they told me that everything is in order all the papers is in order, everything is 100% legit.
I have choose eBay to help me with the selling. Ebay will take care of everything, they will deliver the boat to you if you decide to buy it. The inspection period prior will be included in the sale terms of eBay. After you will receive the boat, you will have 3 days of inspection period. In this 3 days, you can check the boat, test it and even run. If by any reason, the boat has any hidden damage or it isn't as i describe it, you can reject the deal during the inspection period. In this case eBay will refund you all your money and I will receive my boat back, without any additional costs.
Me
Yes I had a good chat with them. I have done the Buy It Now and got this message
Sorry 'manageyourq.b0ne.com' does not exist or is not available.
Do you have another way I could pay?

Aargh are you buying this boat? Because I'm also trying to.. Was a bit dubious about the seller.. So it's totally genuine then?

I know it well.. Madness covered it from Rudy Mills.. I have it on my iPod :o)

Thanks guys.. i'm a proper newbie.. My sister lived on a boat for about 12 years, I'm skint so now I want to do it because I can't afford a house. I have a lot to learn.. So I'll be tapping you lot up for info periodically!

• Greenie 1

Blimey! A "greenie" point (like those merit marks, gold stars etc. which you used to get at school for good work or behaviour) for being the first person to mention Rudy Mills on CWF! I wonder how come you are such a civilised fellow but I guess that's a Long Story.*

*Rudy Mills' other hit record title. For anyone who's bothered, he was a reggae singer many years ago.

Why thanks :) I wouldn't say knowing Rudy Mills is the reason for my civilised nature, Being called John Jones, knowledge of his work kind of gravitated toward me..

You are right though - I am incredibly civilised! What.

Haha ok I get the message.. I'm being duped! Grrrr!

I've had no reply since asking for the CIN number.. Strange

This bit. Older boats won't have a CIN number, ours from 1989 hasn't got one. It doesn't matter in this case as it is a scam, you may not get the CIN for other boats you are interested in

Richard

I know it well.. Madness covered it from Rudy Mills.. I have it on my iPod ohmy.png)

Thanks guys.. i'm a proper newbie.. My sister lived on a boat for about 12 years, I'm skint so now I want to do it because I can't afford a house. I have a lot to learn.. So I'll be tapping you lot up for info periodically!

Welcom to the Forum, John Jones.

As others have already advised you - - the advert was/is a total scam. Please follow the normal rule of gut instinct - - if a deal seems to good to be true - it's most ulikely to be true.

Secondly, please, please do as much research as you can (and then some more) before you buy your first boat, you won't be surprised to learn that there may be much more to owning/running/living on/maintaining a boat that many first imagine. (And, forgive me if I assume you're completely new to this all!).

There are already lots of boats in Leeds, and some of them are liveaboards - have a chat to them, find out (first hand) what costs are involved, the good points that folks love, and the negative ones they'd rather forget..

Thanks Grace & Favour - it's true I am very new although my sister does have a few years' experience so I'm using her in the first instance for all my questions.. I'm under no illusions that it's not just a case of buying a boat and away you go.. So hopefully with her knowledge and all yours I can satisfy myself with information enough before I take the plunge..

I've spoken to a Marina owner in Leeds today actually who invited me to pop down and discuss moorings etc. The same marina my sister lived on many years ago.

Shame about that scam - I could have done with a 6 grand home!!

It takes advantage of the genuine ebay behaviour of forcing you to re-log in every few days, so being asked to log in again (apparently randomly) when you unwittingly arrive at the scam page makes perfect sense to regular ebay users. So they may well do it if they aren't checking the address box and spotting it is no longer an ebay URL asking you to log in, yet again.

This is a very good reason to keep your eBay login in your Keychain (Keychain on Apple systems, not sure what it is called on MS or Linux systems). The keychain automatically fills in your login - but unlike a human, it would never unwittingly do so on a false login page.

Good deed done for the day....

Good Morning

Thank you for bringing this advert to our attention.

I have removed the advert from the website and banned the user from advertising with us,

Thank you for bringing this advert to our attention.

Kind regards

Sanna Duthie

Boats and Outboards Internet Support

Thanks Grace & Favour - it's true I am very new although my sister does have a few years' experience so I'm using her in the first instance for all my questions.. I'm under no illusions that it's not just a case of buying a boat and away you go.. So hopefully with her knowledge and all yours I can satisfy myself with information enough before I take the plunge..

I've spoken to a Marina owner in Leeds today actually who invited me to pop down and discuss moorings etc. The same marina my sister lived on many years ago.

Shame about that scam - I could have done with a 6 grand home!!

John,

At the risk of self advertising we are moored at Clarence Dock in Leeds. If you wish you can come and chat if we can be of any help.

Our boat is for sale, and will be on a paid up mooring until June 2015.

You do not have to have an interest in our boat to come for a chat/help, but it may give you an idea of what you do or do not want in a boat.

PM me if I can be of help.

Bob

Ha.. Tis my sideline in business.. If you want any kids or adults parties doing, I do quick and easy faces or more detailed ones for the more patient client :)

John,

At the risk of self advertising we are moored at Clarence Dock in Leeds. If you wish you can come and chat if we can be of any help.

Our boat is for sale, and will be on a paid up mooring until June 2015.

You do not have to have an interest in our boat to come for a chat/help, but it may give you an idea of what you do or do not want in a boat.

PM me if I can be of help.

Bob

Thank you Bob that's very kind of you - and there's nowt wrong with self advertising :) It's my daughter's first birthday this week so things are a little hectic but I may pop down at some point.. I already suspect your boat is out of my price range.. be nice to have a look though :)

Ha.. Tis my sideline in business.. If you want any kids or adults parties doing, I do quick and easy faces or more detailed ones for the more patient client smile.png

Thank you Bob that's very kind of you - and there's nowt wrong with self advertising smile.png It's my daughter's first birthday this week so things are a little hectic but I may pop down at some point.. I already suspect your boat is out of my price range.. be nice to have a look though smile.png

You'll be very welcome.

Bob

Don't knock Ebay too much - in our new(old) narrowboat are fire/stove tongs and a poker and dust shovel from Ebay (well pleased with them), a 12v mini-fridge from Ebay (brilliant), spanners and screwdrivers from Ebay (great!) and a Miele vacuum cleaner from Ebay - Bye Bye spiders and your webs, haha!

Also got Creuset whistling kettles (2 at 15 Pounds each) from Ebay sellers.

Now looking for a pine double bed frame in Banbury - unfortunately Ebay doesn't seem to let you zoom in on locations - we just need the frame and we have to cut it from the standard 4'6" to 4'00".

If you live in or near Banbury and have such, let us know! Also looking for 2 bedside cabinets...

Edited by Emerald Fox

Don't knock Ebay too much - in our new(old) narrowboat are fire/stove tongs and a poker and dust shovel from Ebay (well pleased with them), a 12v mini-fridge from Ebay (brilliant), spanners and screwdrivers from Ebay (great!) and a Miele vacuum cleaner from Ebay - Bye Bye spiders and your webs, haha!

Also got Creuset whistling kettles (2 at 15 Pounds each) from Ebay sellers.

Now looking for a pine double bed frame in Banbury - unfortunately Ebay doesn't seem to let you zoom in on locations - we just need the frame and we have to cut it from the standard 4'6" to 4'00".

If you live in or near Banbury and have such, let us know! Also looking for 2 bedside cabinets...

Hi- You can sort your searches on ebay by distance. You'll need to set your location though.

Sound like the kettles were a bargain

When I was still at school I discovered that if you paste an email address into the 'To' field in your email it will send an email multiple times.

I used to paste the scammers email into the To field - up to 200 times

Then paste it in the CC field and the BCC field. Then send them something with a picture in. Send that a few times and their email is overloaded with a few thousand emails with photos all coming through.

Then again email may have blocked that since I did that what with modern spam filters.