scam?

paneuro

Featured Posts

Daughters boyfriend got scammed to the tune of £400 yesterday

He normally has his head screwed on, sensible ,good provider, works at a well know car company.

guy comes in, son in law was shown Smart LD tvs,

opens door and there's a few TVs in there, One TV unpacked 50 inch brand new TV

son in law inspects the TV instructions remote weight etc

go's inside to get the money, whilst he was doing that, the kind gentleman puts a new boxed TV in son in laws car.

got home proud as punch, empty TV lol

Son in laws fault, Greed, but you got to admire the gumption of the salesman/conman face to face con!

He, and his van are even on the security cameras

his Boss has advised not to take action, not something you tell the police!

Why not tell the police? Evidence on CCTV, stop the man before he commits another crime.

Daughters boyfriend got scammed to the tune of £400 yesterday

He normally has his head screwed on, sensible ,good provider, works at a well know car company.

guy comes in, son in law was shown Smart LD tvs,

opens door and there's a few TVs in there, One TV unpacked 50 inch brand new TV

son in law inspects the TV instructions remote weight etc

go's inside to get the money, whilst he was doing that, the kind gentleman puts a new boxed TV in son in laws car.

got home proud as punch, empty TV lol

Son in laws fault, Greed, but you got to admire the gumption of the salesman/conman face to face con!

He, and his van are even on the security cameras

his Boss has advised not to take action, not something you tell the police!

That's the mistake, leaving aside possible greed motives. Somebody gave their car key to somebody they had just met by chance.

Having said that, I do sympathise.

Why not tell the police? Evidence on CCTV, stop the man before he commits another crime.

Especially as it turns out your son did not actually commit a crime unless paying £400 for an empty TV is a crime which I am sure it is not. If the police tried to make out that he attempted to buy stolen property then he could retort that he was trying to obtain evidence as he knew the van would be on the CCTV.

The TV could have been a repaired one that was obtained from recycling or from manufacturers repaired "seconds" so a perfectly legal transaction apart form the con.

Edited by Tony Brooks

£150 worth of cigarette boxes, presumably?

As we sometime hear on here, a boat (or a box) is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. No more and no less....

MtB

He bought an empty box, which I'm sure is quite legal. Unless the box was stolen and he knew it.

smile.png

I think the offence is committed if the person believes the goods are stolen, whether or not they actually are.

MtB

Happened to me December 2012 - motorway service station M6 between Banbury & Birmingham. I only stopped to go the loo and as soon as I got to a parking spot rap-a-tap-tap on my window! Wanna buy a TV? I sez hahaha how am I gonna carry that back to Helsinki in my rucksack?

Also in Finland couple of years back an Italian in a boat yard car park approaches us and says he's had business at an exhibition and has some generators to sell cheaply as there's no point in taking them back to Italy... bet yer life there's no 'guts' in them, empty shells. He's lucky I didn't chase him back to Naples with an axe in my hand!

Remember - only trust sad-sob e-mail stories from respectable countries such as Somalia, Nigeria and Rutland :)

How would the police prove that the buyer thought it was stolen?

I don't think parliament concerns itself with such mundane practicalities when draughting legislation.

MtB

(Edit to change 'themselves' into 'itself'. I KNEW it read wrong!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I don't think parliament concerns itself with such mundane practicalities when draughting legislation.

MtB

(Edit to change 'themselves' into 'itself'. I KNEW it read wrong!)

Is 'draught legislation' the stuff they come up with when they're scraping the barrel?

I will make an enquiry on behalf of the forum. clapping.gif

this is what I have sent:-

Hi. I've just seen this and am very interested. Assuming the price is not a typo I would like to go ahead and buy it. What do I need to do next?

Popcorn at the ready.

This is the reply.

Hi,
This boat its just perfect,Immaculate condition,no damages,once with the boat you will also get all the equipment my husband had, it also includes the trailer.All necessary documents available.I just moved back to Aberdeen after the death of my husband(I was left with it and a big mortgage due next week).Price £5850 delivered at my costs.I had a buyer just 1 week ago but that person scarred me a lot.He came with 2 friends and wanted to pay me with fake notes.I was lucky that my father in law was close and he noticed that.Since I'm getting alot of messages regarding the sale and I decided to list it on eBay with a buy it now option and whoever wins it will be the next owner.I assume you already have an account with eBay.If not please register and let me know when you are ready so I can just email you the link.
If you'd like to secure the deal before anybody else does, then please buy it on eBay.Feel free to ask me any questions.I'll check my email regularly.I hope to hear back from you soon.
I have replied back:-
Hello Isabella
Where can I find it on ebay. Do you have a listing number?
You mention the trailer, can you tell me if its steel or aluminium please.
Thanks for the photos . I'm getting really excited now.
Regards
Ready for the next installment?

How would the police prove that the buyer thought it was stolen?

Once again the reasonable man test comes into play.

Talking hypothetically and not about this particular case which probably wouldn't see a court. All the facts are gathered and put before a jury of 12 just (wo)men and true. Put simply, the jury is asked, do you believe what you are being told or not.

Sometimes the prosecution case does not hold up, on other occasions the defence can bend incredulity beyond breaking point.

George ex nb Alton retired

I've been having look, also intrigue re these exact price.

Is it that these listings are being made up in eastern European countries,

and the exchange rate of their partiqalar currency, leaves a a GRP which works out not quite right?

Col