scam?

paneuro

Featured Posts

Don't know if anyone has seen this but in the last half hour on appolloduck boat sales, there are two boats who's prices can't be real. Any thoughts on this?:detective:

Often seen on the duck.

If its too good to be true it normally is.

Don't know if anyone has seen this but in the last half hour on appolloduck boat sales, there are two boats who's prices can't be real. Any thoughts on this?detective.gif

Yes. They probably aren't real.

The usual scam is to make the price so cheap you decide to buy anyway, and pay, without visiting the fictional boat. Then when you try to arrange to collect it, the seller mysteriously fails to communicate any further with you.

MtB

Yes. They probably aren't real.

The usual scam is to make the price so cheap you decide to buy anyway, and pay, without visiting the fictional boat. Then when you try to arrange to collect it, the seller mysteriously fails to communicate any further with you.

MtB

Or agree to wire a 'deposit' to secure the boat which is proving really popular.

I will make an enquiry on behalf of the forum. clapping.gif

this is what I have sent:-

Hi. I've just seen this and am very interested. Assuming the price is not a typo I would like to go ahead and buy it. What do I need to do next?

Popcorn at the ready.

I will make an enquiry on behalf of the forum. clapping.gif

this is what I have sent:-

Hi. I've just seen this and am very interested. Assuming the price is not a typo I would like to go ahead and buy it. What do I need to do next?

Popcorn at the ready.

They do give a phone number.

As has been previously discussed in these pages, it is a scam to get hold of your ebay details involving redirection to a bogus webpage that then asks for your information. Last posting here was about a narrowboat supposedly on the Isle of Wight (owned by someone in Aberdeen) that came "complete with trailer"!

(As I'm bored, I found the original post here.)

Edited to add information.

Edited by Speedy23

And being confident only stupid people give away their ebay log in details to third parties, I nearly didn't click the link in the thread Speedy links to explaining how it is done. Here is the explanation, because I think it is well worth reading and understanding:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Boat-Trailer-Scam-11-21-07-See-it-in-Action-/10000000004676324/g.html

If you want to see how scammers get your login and password for ebay just check out this boat trailer listed for sale today, the title is 20,000Lbs 35' Aluminum Boat Trailer Triple 3 Axle NEW!....it is appx the fourth trailer down listed by jldnautx (17)....here is a search link to find it Scammers Item 20,000Lbs 35' Aluminum Boat Trailer Triple 3 Axle NEW!

Now when you click to view the item it takes you initially to a legitimate ebay page setup under the above name, but just give your browser a few seconds and it will redirect to this web address that has a duplicate of the add but with a different power seller (so you will trust them) ...pay close attention to the URL address it is no longer an ebay address....http://cgi-buy-it-now.fairstatic.com/cgi/ViewItem.php?item=130176327748&price=2,900

When you click on any item on that page it brings up a "fake" ebay login page. Now if you weren't paying attention you would just go ahead and login.....and bam now they have your ebay account.......

I reported the site but hopefully a few of you will get to see this example before it is gone.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Boat-Trailer-Scam-11-21-07-See-it-in-Action-/10000000004676324/g.html

It takes advantage of the genuine ebay behaviour of forcing you to re-log in every few days, so being asked to log in again (apparently randomly) when you unwittingly arrive at the scam page makes perfect sense to regular ebay users. So they may well do it if they aren't checking the address box and spotting it is no longer an ebay URL asking you to log in, yet again.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

As a e-bay newbie the above information is very interesting, there are some clever people out there. Thanks, I learn more on here than I ever did at school!clapping.gif

Me too. Skool was borin', I learned NUFFINK. Not even how to spell.

There are some very clever people in here, on this forum too!

MtB

Yeah there is and it was a good day for me when someone introduced me to the knowledge here. I can ask without feeling daft as I see other questions that I would have ask if I had thought of them, if that makes sense.

I went back to uni to do an MA in my thirties, and often found myself asking 'daft' questions in seminars. Nine times out of ten other students were wondering the same thing but too self-conscious to ask. I've since been on the other side of the fence as a tutor on first-year undergraduate courses, and I see the same pattern: puzzled faces, finally a 'daft' question from a more confident student, and gratitude all round (not least from me) as the blockage is identified and (hopefully!) removed. Moral of the story being: never feel daft about asking anything. If anybody is obnoxious enough to try to make you feel stupid for it, that says a lot more about their own insecurities than about your intelligence.

• Greenie 2

There's a few. I emailed about one and got a reply and soon as I read the reply it definitely sounded like a scam.

Hi, I was away to my mother in law and I just got to a pc and saw your email.

This boat its just perfect, Immaculate condition, no damages, once with the boat you will also get all the equipment my husband had, it also

includes the trailer. All necessary documents available. I just moved back to Dundee after the death of my husband(I was left with it and a big

mortgage due next week). Price £8416 delivered at my costs. I will list the boat on eBay Motors and I will send you a link to my auction, so you

can buy it. The engine was serviced in march . I don`t really know what to do with it and since I need to pay my mortgage I need to sell it.

As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you.

You will receive the boat with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in buying it

and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.

Please let me know your decision.

Thank you

Email Enquiry from BoatsAndOutboards relating to the following advert:

FAD2547 - NARROWBOAT BARGE 36FT, 36 foot Tradition... - £ 8416.00

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/FAD2547

Enquiry From:

That's the reply I got.

There's a few. I emailed about one and got a reply and soon as I read the reply it definitely sounded like a scam.

Hi, I was away to my mother in law and I just got to a pc and saw your email.

This boat its just perfect, Immaculate condition, no damages, once with the boat you will also get all the equipment my husband had, it also

includes the trailer. All necessary documents available. I just moved back to Dundee after the death of my husband(I was left with it and a big

mortgage due next week). Price £8416 delivered at my costs. I will list the boat on eBay Motors and I will send you a link to my auction, so you

can buy it. The engine was serviced in march . I don`t really know what to do with it and since I need to pay my mortgage I need to sell it.

As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you.

You will receive the boat with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in buying it

and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.

Please let me know your decision.

Thank you

Email Enquiry from BoatsAndOutboards relating to the following advert:

FAD2547 - NARROWBOAT BARGE 36FT, 36 foot Tradition... - £ 8416.00

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/FAD2547

Enquiry From:

That's the reply I got.

I don't know about you, but to me, most scams fail because the written english is just not correct. Try as they may, they always seem to just put in some stilted phrase which doesn't read properly.

But then again, who am I to pass comment on others writing.smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

I went back to uni to do an MA in my thirties, and often found myself asking 'daft' questions in seminars. Nine times out of ten other students were wondering the same thing but too self-conscious to ask. I've since been on the other side of the fence as a tutor on first-year undergraduate courses, and I see the same pattern: puzzled faces, finally a 'daft' question from a more confident student, and gratitude all round (not least from me) as the blockage is identified and (hopefully!) removed. Moral of the story being: never feel daft about asking anything. If anybody is obnoxious enough to try to make you feel stupid for it, that says a lot more about their own insecurities than about your intelligence.

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Daughters boyfriend got scammed to the tune of £400 yesterday

He normally has his head screwed on, sensible ,good provider, works at a well know car company.

guy comes in, son in law was shown Smart LD tvs,

opens door and there's a few TVs in there, One TV unpacked 50 inch brand new TV

son in law inspects the TV instructions remote weight etc

go's inside to get the money, whilst he was doing that, the kind gentleman puts a new boxed TV in son in laws car.

got home proud as punch, empty TV lol

Son in laws fault, Greed, but you got to admire the gumption of the salesman/conman face to face con!

He, and his van are even on the security cameras

his Boss has advised not to take action, not something you tell the police!

Edited by bigcol