cost of overplating

souladventurer

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

I am sure this has been talked about before. so apologies in advance

Can anyone enlighten me about a rough cost of overplating a 50 ft narrowboat.

Thank you

Five years ago, when a surveyor recommended 'overplate entire hull to six inches above waterline', for a 58' narrowboat we were considering, I rang round a number of people for quotes. The lowest quote was for £6K and a couple were for around £8K. But the person I trusted the most (an outfit that did a lot of overplating, had proper premises, seemed to have a good, professional customer service type of attitude) quoted £12K.

As the seller would not discount the selling price by more than £2K we gave up on it. (Some poor other sod must have bought it without a survey).

Five years ago, when a surveyor recommended 'overplate entire hull to six inches above waterline', for a 58' narrowboat we were considering, I rang round a number of people for quotes. The lowest quote was for £6K and a couple were for around £8K. But the person I trusted the most (an outfit that did a lot of overplating, had proper premises, seemed to have a good, professional customer service type of attitude) quoted £12K.

As the seller would not discount the selling price by more than £2K we gave up on it. (Some poor other sod must have bought it without a survey).

This seems excessive. What makes you decide this was a real need and not just the surveyor simply arse-covering?

I bet it's still floating around now, with no overplating!

:)

MtB

This seems excessive. What makes you decide this was a real need and not just the surveyor simply arse-covering?

I bet it's still floating around now, with no overplating!

smile.png

MtB

I'll bet it's not! A 1983 ex-hire boat on 6mm base and side plates, exterior pitting was up to 4.3mm and interior corrosion (due to leaking connection on loo tank down inside of hull side) up to 1.6mm. Put those two figures together and it was technically possible that the boat was afloat with only 0.1mm to spare. Scary.

The elderly owners of the boat had left the last couple of blackings to their boatyard ... who did a terrible job doing a quick cover with roller.