Safe Visitor Moorings in London

Tony Ross

Featured Posts

Hi there, am new to this newsgroup and hope this post is in the right section!

I am planning a trip through London, coming in on the Grand Union from Bulls Bridge, through Regents Pk and then on down to Limehouse Basin where I intend to then go up the Limehouse Cut and then the Rivers Lee and Stort. I've heard some horror stories about finding moorings and wonder if anyone could give me a few pointers as to where there are good overnight pitches without the danger of being showered with half bricks, abuse and grief in general. Any input would be appreciated.

I intend to set off during the first week of November (Using Limehouse Cut because of winter stoppages on the Hertford Union)

Hi Tony,

To be honest the Lee & Stort arn't all that nive for morrings of just cruising! (i speak from experiance).

The Lee & Stort arn't busy in the summer really so probs won't be in the winter much either so its just a case of locating where the moorings are (using a guide or something) then getting there before anyone else can! (eg - earlier in the day).

Hope this makes sense LOL :blink::lol:<_<:rolleyes::P

Hi there, am new to this newsgroup and hope this post is in the right section!

I am planning a trip through London, coming in on the Grand Union from Bulls Bridge, through Regents Pk and then on down to Limehouse Basin where I intend to then go up the Limehouse Cut and then the Rivers Lee and Stort. I've heard some horror stories about finding moorings and wonder if anyone could give me a few pointers as to where there are good overnight pitches without the danger of being showered with half bricks, abuse and grief in general. Any input would be appreciated.

I intend to set off during the first week of November (Using Limehouse Cut because of winter stoppages on the Hertford Union)

Hi Tony

I have fond memories of Bulls Bridge/Cowley Lock, we live on Tafelberg and she was moored there. Although she's becoming a very different boat http://www.tafelberg.co.uk

Just had italian tiles in the bathroom and spanish flooring....looks nice.

Hi Tony

We had a memorable 6 days at Little Venice in June this year. There were no problems securing a mooring, in fact for 5 days we moored next to Rembrandt Garden although it is only supposed to be for 24 hours BW were very helpful. I didn't see any other places on Regent's Canal where I would care to moor except perhaps Battlebridge Basin but there aren't many spots there. We had come down the Thames and had the best trip you could imagine.

Cheers

Bill

I was moored in Limehouse basin for a couple of weeks. The lockkeepers were great and helpful, nice place to be, tho' a bit surrounded by flats. Good shops nearby, and the Cruising Association has it's headquarters there.

I was stuck waiting for the right weather to come up the coast, so the lockkeepers let me overstay the normal time by weeks. The office staff would have kicked me out!

One of the lockeepers lives on a narrowboat in the basin, with a large friendly alsation.

• 4 months later...

The good safe places are Tesco's at Bulls Bridge, the layby, By Sainsburys at Alperton, opposite Kensal green cemetary/ sainsburys, Little Venice, Camden visitors moorings which have gates locked at night, (on a BW key), ditto for Islington , then Limehouse basin ( only 48hrs ) next safe stop will be above Tottenham lock, and i mean nowhere inbetween ! , and from there on it's quite peacefull countryside up the Lee and Stort. Enjoy.

(Have a camera ready and just flash any scumbags your worried about, that shuts them right up.)

Hi I am a newbie to this forum. I read the London moorings with interest and would like to add a bit more information if it helps. I found sometime ago that the Camden visitor moorings no longer have a secure gate access at night, anyone can walk through. Islington remains secure at night as far as I know from my last visit just before xmas. I have often wondered if BW plan to remove the security at Islington in order to encourage boaters to move on just that bit more often?

The other place before Limehouse is a single visitors mooring on the offisde just before Sturts Lock (I discovered this little known information from a canal website detailing a cruise through the capital, and having never heard about it before, i decided to make a check for myself and there is actually a visitors mooring by the pub offside just before the lock!)

To all those who visit the capital's canals may i wish a very pleasant cruising experience.

Cheers

Fender

We normally do Kensal Green/Little Venice overnight and then keep going up the Ducketts until we get to Stonebridge Lock on the Lee. Stonebridge is a bit secluded, so if you arrive just before its dark and get going first thing the next day, you should be undisturbed. We don't usually sleep safely until we are outside the M25 limits (Waltham Abbey).

The main problem is finding moorings in Little Venice, but I would guess this would depend on the time of year ?

Never tried Limehouse, but that could be a good solution !

Moorings are no problem on the Lee and Stort. This is home turf for us, so if anybody needs advice on that stretch of water, just let us know.

• Greenie 1

• 5 years later...

This is s very old thread so I shall be grateful for more up-to-date info. about safe moorings in London, particularly along Regent's canal.

Plan is to set out from Burton-on-Trent sometime early May this year (2010) and go down the Coventry, then Grand Union and hope to be along Regent's canal later same month. Shall return via the Sour and Trent. All comments on safe and unsafe moorings en route will be gratefully received as will any other interesting or useful info. for this journey.

Thanks

Bro.

To some extent the safe vs unsafe debate depends on whether you plan to stay inside the boat all evening or whether you want to leave it empty.

We've never had problems at the Black Horse in Greenford, although I hear there have been some issues lately. We've used Kensal Green a lot, with no problems, and also Little Venice. If you feel nervous leaving the boat, you can moor overnight at the Canal Museum in King's Cross - last time we did it was £8. You can contact them to book in advance - details on their website.

Have a good trip :)

Hi Tony,

To be honest the Lee & Stort arn't all that nive for morrings of just cruising! (i speak from experiance).

The Lee & Stort arn't busy in the summer really so probs won't be in the winter much either so its just a case of locating where the moorings are (using a guide or something) then getting there before anyone else can! (eg - earlier in the day).

Hope this makes sense LOL :blink::lol:<_<:rolleyes::P

Nise speeeeeeling

This is s very old thread so I shall be grateful for more up-to-date info. about safe moorings in London, particularly along Regent's canal.

Plan is to set out from Burton-on-Trent sometime early May this year (2010) and go down the Coventry, then Grand Union and hope to be along Regent's canal later same month. Shall return via the Sour and Trent. All comments on safe and unsafe moorings en route will be gratefully received as will any other interesting or useful info. for this journey.

Thanks

Bro.

Hi

You must stay 2/3 days in Paddington Basin and see all the sites, take in a show - all with free accomodation.

Its right next to Paddington Underground station so you can get any where for less than a £5 a day.

Camden market on Saturday has got to be seen to be believed ( moorings nearby)

We have travelled a good few times all the way across and up the Lee & Stort without any problems whatso ever.

The Grand Union below Milton Keynes, for me, is pain in the whotsits but it is worth the effort.

Enjoy

Alex

If you're planning to do much tube or bus travel whilst you're there, then get an Oyster card - much cheaper than buying paper tube tickets. You can buy one and get it mailed to you before you arrive. https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

I second mooring in Paddington basin, it's great for the paranoid as there is 24 hour security surveillance. But ironically it's the only place in London we've ever had an incident whilst moored :banghead::wacko: Don't let that put you off, incidents can happen anywhere.

Drunks nicked our boat hook. Security guard gave chase and got it back for us. :)

Camden is great if you can get a space. They do usually lock the gates at night, even if they don't, it's really tranquil for a central mooring.

Lee and Stort, well, I don't think there's anywhere I haven't moored there. All the visitor moorings are fine.

Edited by Lady Muck

I never had any real problems around London as far as moorings goes.

Had my car broken into by Tottenham (stonebridge lock) and again at Springfield. I also had an attempted theft of my bike off the roof at Springfield in the middle of the night. (kids with scooters and bolt croppers)

I had kids chuck rocks at me one time as I was passing an area just west of Victoria park. it was say 30 mins away from from Victoria park and at that time it was a building site, its changed now.

Other than that, as I say in terms of mooring, I moored everywhere on the river lee, the river stort as far as Harlow. ( I couldnt take the winding narrowness of the stort to venture futher)

and all of the regent canal, paddington arm, down the cut to Limehouse and back the otherway. hardly a worry. Kensal rise was quite a nice spot. (close to a supermarket too)

AH, yes one time at limehouse some kids untied all the boats except mine because I was so well tied on they kicked my plants off of the roof in frustration. There is security at Limehouse and facilities of sorts. Im told it happens occasionally there, but I stayed there often and only once had minor trouble.

Camden is perhaps one of my favourite mooring sports, as well as Angel. its the ambience I liked.

Victoria park gets very very busy, it can be hard to get in sometimes. and noisy.

----------------

Honey Ryder

----------------

Canvas repairs and boat curtains

Camden: "They do usually lock the gates at night, even if they don't, it's really tranquil for a central mooring."

If 'they' dont lock the gates then lock them yourself. It is just a BW lock.

Spent lots of time around London. Camden great, Paddinton great, Limehouse great - never had a problem!

Edited by WJM

It is possible to moor at Limehouse just into the Cut. There is an access ladder to tie one end to and the piling at the other end. Judging by the bits of rope left on the piling plenty of people do this. 14 days there if you want. The official visitor moorings are a mix of 48 hours near the lock and 7 days further away. It is the norm to double up.

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone, I'm a new boater and will be doing some cruising in and around London. This post is now 5 years old and London is forever changing. Could you please give me more up to date info on this thread.

Just moor where you find a space, you wont get much choice of location,