sunk narrow boat

David Cook

Featured Posts

I don't think he's a troll. If he is he's barking up the wrong tree thinking there'd be an argument on this forum.

Hope the insurance sorts your boat out. Worst fear. Well actually no it isn't but still must be horrible. Wonder what insurance companies are like about getting out of making any payments on boats tho.

Imagine there's gonna be a few thousand insurance payouts with the floods, for all sorts of boats, cars, animals.

However if the OP isn't a troll.....given the number of posts saying that he is it's highly unlikely that he'll clarify one way or the other is it?

If he genuinely wanted help, you'd think he would have responded to the requests for more info when he re-visited the thread at 5.13pm, before the 'troll' comments started.

And he hasn't been back since anyway!

MtB

Maybe he isn't insured, and was put off by the first comments all mentioning the insurance company. Or maybe he doesn't have a straight forward life and is therefore reluctant to post the name and exact whereabouts of his sunken narrow boat. Hope he gets sorted.

I don't think he's a troll. If he is he's barking up the wrong tree thinking there'd be an argument on this forum.

I don't think the intent was to create argument - the job has already been done, see for yourself.. The 'con' it seems, is in exploiting people's good intent. . . (though I hope I'm wrong!). Over to Mr. Cook as and when...

Edited by Orca

Maybe he isn't insured, and was put off by the first comments all mentioning the insurance company. Or maybe he doesn't have a straight forward life and is therefore reluctant to post the name and exact whereabouts of his sunken narrow boat. Hope he gets sorted.

So how does somebody decide if they are in a position to be able to help if they do not know where the boat is?

They don't need to post exact whereabouts just a rough approximation initially. People who have the expertise (and the necessary kit) will then decide if it is close enough to them to decide if they can help

(though note the OP will need five posts in the forum in order to communicate a precise location by the PM system)

The way I see it, there are two possible scenarios here.

1) He was a genuine guy, with a genuinely horrible situation looking for help. He created an account with his someone else's facebook login (which was already logged in on the computer he borrowed), he left himself logged on to the forum until 3:15, though by that point he had left the computer, so did not actually see any of the replies. We aren't all computer literate, and if he had followed his nose this is a very plausible scenario.

2) He was a troll, he popped on here to try and cause trouble....

If 1) and he manages to pop back (which he might do as an anonymous user, remember he potentially logged on with someone else's facebook account, was it a work colleague? Or maybe a shared computer in a library where someone had carelessly left themselves logged in?) he will now be scared shitless, and come to the conclusion that no one here is willing to help him as they have concluded that he lives under a bridge. That would be a sad state of affairs. There is obviously a wealth of knowledge on here (I know, it's been invaluable to me), and it would be such a shame if someone in need of help was scared away.

If 2) then the posts about his living under a bridge is exactly what he wants. Also, a true troll, as I understand them, would seek to push the situation further. They would reply "not insured - boat is in such and such location, please anyone who can help come down to such and such a bridge/lock/pub as soon as you can! Got to go now phone battery running out"

Can I suggest that there should be a Troll thread, running separately. That way, when something like this happens everyone can pop over to that thread and debate it happily, bridge jokes and all, without risking scaring away a potential person in need? It could be called 'under the bridge' or 'poo sticks' or something similar, and a simple "I'm off to play poo sticks" type post would alert anyone in the know that an alternative conversation was taking place. This would lead for lots of opportunity for people to gloat that they were correct, either in assuming that a poster was a troll, or in believing their innocence, while leaving a fair and unbiased scientific test situation on the original thread.

It would also remove much of the satisfaction that I can only assume genuine trolls get from banter on forum pages. This thread is three pages long, with very little constructive feedback on the issue. I would say that is a win for a troll. If it ran to 5 posts, and then went silent with a randon comment about playing poo sticks, I'd suggest that they may get bored and go and cause trouble elsewhere.

This is a very close knit community on here, and it can be hard as an outsider to crack it. Yes, everyone is extremely experienced and knowledgeable and generous with their time, but sometimes it can become a scary place for a newbie...

Just my two pence.

• Greenie 4

This is a very close knit community on here, and it can be hard as an outsider to crack it.

People come and go all the time and newcomers who get hassle tend to have earned it (or invite it).

You've settled in nicely even though you have a funny hat and still haven't explained that beard.ohmy.png

• Greenie 1

Very wise post Tom.

Greenied.

MtB

People come and go all the time and newcomers who get hassle tend to have earned it (or invite it).

You've settled in nicely even though you have a funny hat and still haven't explained that beard.ohmy.png

True, but Tom's point is that newcomers unwittingly earn the hassle. Which is why they get confused with trolls.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with Tom's hat! I have two like that which I like to wear when boating... well not both at once though.

Oh it's a beard, you reckon?

MtB

True, but Tom's point is that newcomers 'occasionally' unwittingly earn the hassle. Which is why they get confused with trolls.

The vast majority of newcomers come and go without contributing at all, then come those that settle in quietly, next are those that arrive kicking the door in and quickly establishing themselves as part of the furniture, followed by those that jump straight into a row but survive the drubbing the old hands dole out (cheers Hairy Neil) and then the very few that post innocently but get an undeserved thrashing and, finally, the occasional troll.

The trouble with t'internet, is everything is typed. Well on here at least... It is very hard to define the differences in tone which create sarcasm and the like in typed text. The best way we have of establishing that someone is not altogether serious in a post is through personal experience, which of course, a newbie doesn't have!

I have been an active member of quite a few different internet forums, and several different chat communities, so I am fairly fluent in these intricacies. I think this helped me to see past a few of the more boisterous posts here... It is a great community, but it is also an invaluable potential resource for someone with say, a sunken narrowboat? They do not have to become an active forum member to make their plight any more real.

I doubt if the OP will resurface, though I hope his boat does.

That photo was taken at my sisters wedding, which explains the hat. I'm not sure I can offer anything for the beard.

My comment "hmm" was more a query as to weather the poster was serious, not wether he was a troll. And a troll tries to cause mayhem and argument, by posting inflammatory comments, not by pretending their property is damaged/sunk

And threads here usually drift of topic, that is what makes it worth coming here, the utter chaotic randomness of the site.

And there is nothing wrong with your chin merkin.

And threads here usually drift of topic, that is what makes it worth coming here, the utter chaotic randomness of the site.

On the other hand the utter chaotic randomness can be completely predictable