Burscough boat builders?

Sas

Featured Posts

Apologies if this has been asked before but we re planning a possible new build widebeam , and this builder has been most helpful.

Do any members have direct experience or knowledge of them please?

Thanks in anticipation

We were moored for a while here in Salt house Dock next to a boat called Jetmegs 1 which was launched just before Christmas. They are now moored at Scarisbrick. I don't expect they would mind you talking to them.

Whilst they had a number of snags to attend to Burscough where very diligent in sorting it over the Christmas holiday. I think the worst thing they had was a fuel leak which meant they ran out of fuel just as they were manouvering onto the pontoon.

I do know there was a dispute over who was paying for the transport of the boat to Liverpool Marina and who was paying for the cranage but imagine you would sort this out at the contract stage.

Regards

Pete

Apologies if this has been asked before but we re planning a possible new build widebeam , and this builder has been most helpful.

Do any members have direct experience or knowledge of them please?

Thanks in anticipation

My tactic for any major purchase is to ask the trader if they would contact previous customers asking if they (customer) would allow me to visit/discuss their experience. Usual practice is for the trader to pass your contact details to his customer. Any trader who won't agree to this should be avoided, after all reputation is worth nurturing (or hiding!). This can only be done with the previous customer's agreement but I have never found an occasion where at least two or three are willing to contact me. Best of luck

Thanks Plainsman, I have got some contacts so will do that. However..... and here's me playing devil's advocate......they're not going to provide details of UN satisfied buyers are they??

Would it be 'acceptable' to have a new build surveyed part at through a build if there are ....'niggles' do you think? I 'm very much speaking generally now and not with ANY builders in mind?

It s such a lot of money!!!!!!

Oh OK.... But if you do have any advice...... Or cautionary tales(!) I'd be grateful if you'd PM me please.......now that I've discovered what that is!!!!!

God I feel old....

Thanks Plainsman, I have got some contacts so will do that. However..... and here's me playing devil's advocate......they're not going to provide details of UN satisfied buyers are they??

Would it be 'acceptable' to have a new build surveyed part at through a build if there are ....'niggles' do you think? I 'm very much speaking generally now and not with ANY builders in mind?

It s such a lot of money!!!!!!

It's your money so you are in the driving seat, if you want a survey partway through the build I am sure a good builder would let you go ahead. I believe some surveyors do offer an advice service on purchases so I guess advice partway through a build would be on offer. However, there will be the surveyor's fee to pay and you will have to pay the builder in stages for work done. I take your point about 'UN satisfied' customers' but if you have a collection of previous customers to refer to it's a start. Try other builders and compare the work. Have a look at the boat broker sites to see if there any Burscough Boats for sale and have a look at the quality. Do a search on this site for Burscough Boat Builders. Sounds a lot of trouble to take but as you say it's a lot of money. As with any major purchase its buyer beware and needs very careful consideration and, like buying a house, am I ready for this? It's a major committment so take your time. Best of luck

Hi a lovely widebeam was moored near me in Sheffield the owners had just taken delivery from Burscough. Move on a year meet the boat at eastwood moorings the boat still looks lovely and the owners still in love with the boat for me that says it all

Peter

Hi a lovely widebeam was moored near me in Sheffield the owners had just taken delivery from Burscough. Move on a year meet the boat at eastwood moorings the boat still looks lovely and the owners still in love with the boat for me that says it all

Peter

Thanks Peter

Its been fascinating to gather info / advice from so many sources here!

Every boat build is different. As everybody has their own preferences. With a commision build always check up on your new boat as it is being built. If the builder refused your inspection stay clear. It is after all your boat. This will also allow you to change anything that you find unsuitable at an early stage. And don`t forget that a new build comes tax free. Or it use to. But check. Everythhing as mistakes are costly. Happy boating :-)

• 3 years later...

Just reading this 3 years later as we are interested in a Burscough boat (second hand) but have never heard of them. I wonder if you were happy with your choice in the end?

Any advice about the quality of boats made by Burscough would be helpful.

Thanks!