Knowing the names of things ...

Featured Posts

I have often found that it is tricky to get the right bits purely because I do not know what they are called. I am learning and I guess that is part of boating.

Could anyone please tell me the name of the ring thing that sits neatly recessed in the top of floor panels and pulls up really handily to lift them?

On a more general note is there a good online source for names of things like this? I have looked but I find I get the wrong sorts of parts. I hope that makes sense.

A quick guestimate and Google reveals it's a (brass) flush (fit) ring pull. Like this:

http://www.willowandstone.co.uk/cabinet-knobs-fittings-/brass-flush-fit-ring-pull-.php

Thank you so much. It seems ridiculous that I did not think of it, but I have more senior moments than ever before. I just could not think.

Edited by brian1042

I'll bet anything you like if you went to a builders merchants and asked for a flush fit ring pull you would be met with a blank stare.

Eventually after trying to describe the thing, they would exclaim "oh, what you mean is a spring loaded drawer pull..."

Going to a builders merchants, or a chandlery is a bit like when you go across the channel with your schoolboy French and they pretend not to understand you. Only the other day I went in for some square section plastic trunking - the stuff you use for concealing electric wires - yet again the person behind the counter gave me the "what are you on about" look until eventually she asks "oh - do you mean conduit?" I swear they do it on purpose.

It took me a while to discover a short (6") section of brass piping with a BSP thread on the outside of the full length is called a "running nipple".

A bit like a "long screw" used to join two fixed ends of screwed pipe.

A bit like a "long screw" used to join two fixed ends of screwed pipe.

Never ask a female salesperson for one of those, you'll end up in court!

And just be careful you don't go into a merchants and ask for a long weight.

Edited by nicknorman

Never ask a female salesperson for one of those, you'll end up in court!

And just be careful you don't go into a merchants and ask for a long weight.

"I'll have a pair of 1" nipples, a large brass cock and a long screw please"

"oh yes sir, what's your name Bill Roache?"

Edited by mark99

I have often found that it is tricky to get the right bits purely because I do not know what they are called. I am learning and I guess that is part of boating.

Could anyone please tell me the name of the ring thing that sits neatly recessed in the top of floor panels and pulls up really handily to lift them?

On a more general note is there a good online source for names of things like this? I have looked but I find I get the wrong sorts of parts. I hope that makes sense.

I find google is often a good friend in this situation.

I often stick a rough description in of what I am looking for like in this case it would have been

'ring pull hatch handle'

Then look at the images that come up in the search and you get loads like this.

RC42181-25.jpg

Usually works 9 times out of ten.

Edited by The Dog House

Something not known widely - there is a facility of google where you upload an image and it searches t'internet for similar images - and you then follow the links.

So in theory if stuck you could try a photo.

Edited by mark99

Not in the Burton one it isn't- If you don't know its name and cant find it in the index- they wont help

Our local RadioSpares went like that.

Claimed it was to avoid litigation if they recommended the wrong bits.

Service?

Not in the Burton one it isn't- If you don't know its name and cant find it in the index- they wont help

I think they must all be the same.

Screwfix in Middlesbrough couldn't tell me if the taps I was wanting to buy were suitable for a gravity fed low pressure system, 'you'd have to ask a plumber'.

I did but in another shop.

I think they must all be the same.

Screwfix in Middlesbrough couldn't tell me if the taps I was wanting to buy were suitable for a gravity fed low pressure system, 'you'd have to ask a plumber'.

I did but in another shop.

Pile em high and sell em cheap, but I don't think you can expect the sales staff (probably fresh out of school on minimum wage) to know anything about what they are selling. I suspect your taps were more expensive in the other shop, but you get what you pay for!

In my youth in NW London if you wanted any spares for your car you could usually get what you needed at Midnight Motors which was open 24/7 it was by Wembly stadium and it was always chokka block . The staff were brilliant, you could just show them something and they would sprint off and be back in no time with the right bit, however if you rang up the phone was answered straight away and put on speaker for all the queue to hear. It was hilarious not only hearing people trying to describe what they wanted but also the reaction of the staff when the person on the phone launched into a tirade or talked to his mates all the while not realising they were on speaker.

The more gobby they got the longer their wait became. A great nights entertainmen

Phil

Pile em high and sell em cheap, but I don't think you can expect the sales staff (probably fresh out of school on minimum wage) to know anything about what they are selling. I suspect your taps were more expensive in the other shop, but you get what you pay for!

As it happens they weren't.

I ended going to a trade supplier and they knew exactly what I wanted.

The annoying thing is the info. needed is often on Screwfix's web site so why not just give the store staff access to their own site.... crazy.

All this jargon and technical terminology is very outdated, indeed the whole concept of describing things for what they actually are is much too complicated, just call everything you need a "narrowboat solution"

.............Dave

All this jargon and technical terminology is very outdated, indeed the whole concept of describing things for what they actually are is much too complicated, just call everything you need a "narrowboat solution"

.............Dave

I saw a flat bed wagon yesterday claiming to be providing 'cleaning solutions' but there wasn't a bottle or a drum of liquid anywhere to be seen....