What is a Mooring?

Pilly

Featured Posts

Whilst looking through the topics on the forum I have come across many descriptions of moorings and the more descriptions I see, the more confused I become wacko.png

Can anyone offer any detail on what the following mooring descriptions mean -

Visitor Mooring
Residential Mooring
Ghost Mooring
Leisure Mooring
Winter Mooring
Home mooring
Full Mooring
Online Mooring
Offline Mooring
Towpath Mooring
Permanent Mooring
Short Term Mooring
Paper Mooring

I might then be able to gain a better understanding of some of the arguments for and against the types of mooring

Ta very muchly help.gif

Edited by Pilly

Whilst looking through the topics on the forum I have come across many descriptions of moorings and the more descriptions I see, the more confused I become :wacko:

Can anyone offer any detail on what the following mooring descriptions mean -

Visitor Mooring

Residential Mooring

Ghost Mooring

Leisure Mooring

Winter Mooring

Home mooring

Full Mooring

Online Mooring

Offline Mooring

Towpath Mooring

Permanent Mooring

Short Term Mooring

Paper Mooring

I might then be able to gain a better understanding of some of the arguments for and against the types of mooring

Ta very muchly :help:

Hi ya,

Yes, there are so many mooring types, (Trot,Pontoon,Half tide,serviced,Swinging,) it does seam an endless list doesn't it.

But each types 'generally' have varying locations,Access n egress,Available services, ect that can vary tremendously. But in doing so gives choice to the customer to fit the type of cruising you do.

For example,,I currently have

An along side, Full access,All state, Secure Pontoon mooring.

Generally,,the longer the title,the more they can charge !.

Oh I can't wait to cruise again.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

There is also at least two versions of residential mooring.

Version 1: The mooring is yours and only yours, for the purpose of residence 12 mnths. This however will usually be subject to the full band rate Council Tax.

Version 2: A marina may have permission for a number of residential moorings. However, in order to avoid the full rate being applied, the moorer is required to move between the moorings and cannot lay claim to any particular mooring. The frequency of movement is negotiated between the local authority and the marina. The Council Tax element on this type of residential mooring is charged at a much reduced rate.

Edited by Higgs

Visitor Mooring - time limited mooring near a town/village or some other attraction.

Residential Mooring- A mooring which as planning permission or other permission that enables somebody to live permanently on their boat.

Ghost Mooring - a mooring which is paid for but never actually used

Leisure Mooring - A mooring where people who don't wish to live on their boat moor their boat. Some people do live on their boat on leisure moorings.

Winter Mooring - What it says. Usually taken up by CCer's so they don't have to move during the winter.

Home mooring - Somewhere your boat can be moored. And can be a leisure or resi mooring.

Full Mooring - no idea, never heard the term.

Online Mooring - a mooring which is located on the side of a canal/river and can be any of the above.

Offline Mooring - Normally refers to a mooring that is not on the main canal or river ie Marina or basin. (The term Offside mooring also exists and refers to a mooring that is on the opposite side to the tow path (like ours)

Towpath Mooring - What it says, a mooring on the tow path. Can be some of the above.

Permanent Mooring - a mooring for a boat that never moves (That is how I would describe it)

Short Term Mooring - Sometimes used to describe visitor mooring or sometimes used to describe a mooring taken up for a short period of time, sometimes when in the process of moving a boat.

Paper Mooring - To me that means the same as a ghost mooring.

Those are how I would describe them others may disagree or have variations/different definitions.

Edited by The Dog House

As far as I understand it, anyway...

Visitor Mooring

A mooring where boaters can stop for a limited period while out cruising. Often the time limit is 24 or 48 hours, but it can be as little as 6 hours or as much as 7 days.

Residential Mooring

A mooring that has planning permission for use as a permanent residence.

Ghost Mooring

A mooring declared by a boater as his 'home mooring' when applying for a licence, but not actually being used as such (and maybe not really existing at all).

Leisure Mooring

A mooring that is not 'residential' in the sense defined above. Some boaters do 'unofficially' live aboard on leisure moorings.

Winter Mooring

A mooring taken for a fixed period during the winter months.

Home mooring

The mooring declared by a boater, when applying for his licence, as being where his boat is left when not cruising. Could be a 'residential' or a 'leisure' mooring.

Full Mooring

This is a new one on me!

Online Mooring

A mooring 'on' the canal itself (either on the towpath side or the other side - the 'offside')

Offline Mooring

A mooring 'off' the canal, in a marina.

Towpath Mooring

A mooring on the towpath - could be an official, paid-for mooring, or just a spot where you choose to moor the boat while out cruising (in which case a 14 day limit applies outside of areas designated as 'visitor moorings').

Permanent Mooring

A long-term, year-round mooring - either 'leisure' or 'residential'.

Short Term Mooring

A mooring take out for a limited period, such as a 'winter mooring'. Could also be used to refer to visitor moorings.

Paper Mooring

See 'ghost mooring'.

[Edited for presentation]

Edited by magictime

Ghost Mooring - a mooring which is paid for but never actually used

I thought that this one was a 'piece of paper' that said you had paid for a mooring, but in actual fact the mooring did not exist, or had already been sold 10 times to other boaters, and in effect 'did not exist' and was probably 100's of miles away from your normal cruisng area

I thought that this one was a 'piece of paper' that said you had paid for a mooring, but in actual fact the mooring did not exist, or had already been sold 10 times to other boaters, and in effect 'did not exist' and was probably 100's of miles away from your normal cruisng area

It may be - as I say those are just my definitions, your definition seems more logical though.

My take on a ghost/paper mooring is that the intention may have been to never actually use the mooring. It could be in such a dilapidated state and so remote as to be almost useless. The moorer has no intention of using the mooring and only wants to sidestep the general rules of CC'ing.

It is also a mooring that several boaters claim as a mooring.

To make this type of mooring a choice, it has to be as cheap as chips.

Edited by Higgs

Hi ya,

Yes, there are so many mooring types, (Trot,Pontoon,Half tide,serviced,Swinging,) it does seam an endless list doesn't it.

But each types 'generally' have varying locations,Access n egress,Available services, ect that can vary tremendously. But in doing so gives choice to the customer to fit the type of cruising you do.

For example,,I currently have

An along side, Full access,All state, Secure Pontoon mooring.

Generally,,the longer the title,the more they can charge !.

Oh I can't wait to cruise again.

One that is missing is Garden Mooring oh and end of garden mooring

Phil

Paul I have a vague memory of a drying mooring, am I right

Phil

One much favoured by owners of elderly wooden boats.

Also known as a "mud berth" in the South East, particularly Essex where the boat dries out into a bubbling cauldron of stinking peeler infested mud twice a day.

Paul I have a vague memory of a drying mooring, am I right

Phil

Yep,

Basically,you can take most places a boat would go or end up via it's own means,on or around water & put the word 'mooring' or 'Berth' in there somewhere & hey presto That Will be £Xxxxx please.

Most other places where a boat might need a bit of 'help' getting to might come under 'Park', 'Storage' or 'Standing' but all mean That will be £Xxxx please.+ £X for the 'help'.

Which is only right ofcourse.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Visitor Mooring - time limited mooring near a town/village or some other attraction.

A mooring where boaters can stop for a limited period while out cruising. Often the time limit is 24 or 48 hours, but it can be as little as 6 hours or as much as 7 days.

Well all temporary moorings are time limited to a maximum of 14 days.

But the current meaning of "Visitor mooring" by CRT cannot be interpreted as implying a shorter stay than this.

In fact a recent analysis of all listed "Visitor Moorings" for South east waterways, as supplied by CRT, showed this break down.....

1 hour 1 0.9%

2 hour 1 0.9%

24 hour 5 4.5%

48 hour 38 34.5%

7 day 2 1.8%

14 day 63 57.3%

Total VM 110

So as you can see, well over half the temporary moorings on SE Waterways defined by them as "Visitor Moorings" have no shorter maximum stay time than any other bit of canal bank you can use for temporary moorings.

EDIT: Or put it another way.....

In respect of South East Waterways, at least, this statement on the CRT page Debbi has linked to is actually wrong.

Visitor mooring

A length of bank that has been designated for (usually) periods of less than 14 days. They tend to be at popular locations and time limits are designed to enable as many different boaters as possible to enjoy the use of the mooring during a cruise. Please respect the time limits and any other rules displayed or communicated to you when boating.

There do seem to be a lot of people in CRT, (and I'm not including Debbi in this!), who make pronouncements that seem ro assume the quote above is actually true, whereas the facts show that the reality is currently otherwise. (Maybe why it is such a protracted business negotiating the future policies for "Visitor Moorings" with them!)

Edited by alan_fincher