How much planing did members do before taking the jump.

wullie

Featured Posts

I had never lived on my own and went from living with Grandparents at the age of 32 to within one month moving aboard my used boat, having never been on one.

Viewed 6 boats in 2 weeks and knew instantly when I stepped aboard this one was right for me. 50ft 1999 Liverpool trad.

Cosy, clean no damp/mould in cupboards and a clean engine bay that wasn't full of rust or oily water!

Put an offer in of £25,000, offer accepted. While I was waiting to get the survey I found a residential mooring and booked it, then went on a days RYA helmsman's course. Found it Fantastic.

Survey went fine and while on the dry dock had it blacked and new anodes fitted.

Moved aboard shortly after and had to wait to bring it 53 miles to my new moorings due to lock stoppages. Set off on Boxing day and got more confident as I cruised down the Shropshire Union Canal. Kept the same routine for each lock, single handed and got to Alrewas lock after a leisurely 4 hour cruise each day and the Trent was in flood. Had to wait 2 days and then cruised to my mooring. Loved being out on the canal and meeting new people.

Been a boat owner and liveaboard for around 16 months know and really love it but will love it even more when I get a job and can afford to get out of the Marina and explore.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

From first holiday (on canal boat) to buying and living aboard about thirty four years.

Hired nearly every year in-between and read all I could on canals and boats.

ps. decision made in first few days, on first holiday.

We had a couple of one week hires with friends a few years ago and that planted the seed. Real planning only started with the thought (12 months ago) that we could (i) retire in 2014 and (ii) probably/possibly/hopefully afford our own narrowboat.

The planning has mainly been around the financial side given not only the purchase costs but also that I reckon we'll need (boat's not ours yet still awaiting survey) £4k-ish pa for running costs (£2,400 mooring, CRT license, insurance, RCR recovery, annual service, blacking/anodes every 3 years) - as well as a contingency fund 'just in case'.

I guess there's been a lot of other 'planning' in terms of looking at boats, talking about what we both want, finding things out on the internet, etc but that's been fun.

Steve

Edited by Steve Richards

Joined forum with a stupidly small amount of cash and a half-cocked idea to think about spending it on a boat of some kind, possibly, at some point- maybe not on the canals.

Three weeks later, owned narrowboat after making stupid bid on Ebay at way below the assessed value and winning it.

Therefore, owned boat before ever setting eyes on it, oh and btw I had never even been aboard a narrowboat ever, not once.

Collected boat and moved aboard a couple of weeks later, no idea how to work it, no Nicholsons, no moorings, headed for Braunston marina on spec hoping for a mooring. CarlT steered it all the way, as the boat hated me on sight.

One week with no gas (didn't know how to turn it on) Two weeks with no fridge (as I thought it didn't work- it did) three months with no running water, three months before I'd attempt to steer it again with help, nine months until I was confident enough to take it out on my own, nine months with no shower, mattress or bedroom.

Two years and three months on, I'm still here.

Edited by Starcoaster

I don't know, but I would hazard a guess most boats are bought on a whim.

As others have said, no amount of planning, research etc will replace real experience.

Which is why it's best to buy a cheap boat to begin with, or at least one you can be certain of selling.

9 months of researching (mainly by asking stupid questions on this forum), ensuring being of no fixed abode wouldn't negatively affect my work (I knew I wanted to travel) and getting my finances in order so my credit rating was as good as it could be. One week hire of a boat over Christmas to see what it was like in the cold and dark and wet. Maybe 5 months of boat viewings on and off to get a feel for what was out there. Then two viewings of the boat I wanted before I put the deposit on it, got me survey done, and so on.

I like to be pretty thorough when I make a big decision like that. But not everybody works that way. Horses for courses. smile.png

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I do not recomend any one doing it my way but you did ask

none at all seriously i spoke to a couple of people on the towpath and bought a boat.

I suggest the only thing i planned was getting the mooring, i was told by someone a space was available and i managed to covince BW to let me have it, this was before the auction process.

I had never been on a narrow boat, didnt truly understand the size of the network, how to work a lock, lift bridge and the electric bridge at Wrenbury caused a bit of head scratching

on the day i took control of he boat i stood on the back deck and realised i didnt know where the fuel or water went, how the electrics worked, how to start the boat, how to steer, how to stop, how to moor, how to tie up for the night.

i spent at least the first hour thinking how friendly everyone was because they were all waveing at me, untill i realsed i was passing on the wrong side.

my first lock was the Middlewich big lock, i worked out how to do it by asking the locals, Oh and i jumped my first lock queue there. well i didnt know! :-)

i got shouted at by Mauren at the wardle lock on the middlewich branch for incompitance, i know realise that is/was a right of passage

i finally found a tap to fill my water tank and it took so long to fill up i was convinced it had a leak, so spent the next few night having sinking flooding dreams

I crushed my cratch and headlight under a lift bridge

it was also bloody good news i was originaly pointing in the right direction because it was only once i had got to my home mooring that someone showed me how and where i could turn round.

But you know what i LOVED every stupid scary moment of that trip and it is the best thing i have done for a very long time, i also still love coming home to my boat.

so there you go Dont do it how i did it but if you do make the most of it because its great fun

Love this post - have a greenie for giving me a good laugh biggrin.png It put me in mind of another favourite which I just spent ages looking for - I had no idea it was so long ago!

Well, I have probably made every possible stupid mistake in the book.

I actually bought the boat the first (and only) boat i went to see. Obviously, being French I knew nothing about the narrow canal system, or any canal system, come to think of it.

The broker was only preoccupied with getting the money on their account and waved me goodbye without any further ado after they called the bank.

As I left the brokerage (had to ask how to switch the engine on and off and fill with water) I had three and a half days left to get from Stoke on Trent to Rugby. Thankfully that was in March.

-I never knew you were supposed to keep right on the canal and assumed the firs boat I encountered was playing chicken. We do that often in France.

-I took me nearly 2 days to notice other boaters were using some sort of an extension on the tiller, the boat was much easier to steer after I copied that set up.

-you cant leave the tiller to go in the kitchen and get your fags or a bottle of water , well you can probably pull it off a few times, but you will fail miserably at

some point. this where the long stick of wood on the roof comes in handy.

-I walked around the first lock I encoutered with the windlass in hand trying to work out the possible consequences of failure. In the end decided to disturb a very kind boater who laughed his bum off when I explained to him that I knew nothing about this game, but had been the proud owner of an NB for a few hours and was intending to live on it.

-you are better off getting out of the canal as quickly as possible after falling in and running on the towpath to catch up with your boat again. If you emerge on the offside on a golf course and disrupt a put, the golfers will probably look at you funny. Even more so when you jump back in the water.

A lot of boat viewing and planning went into buying our first boat , it wasn't a success and nearly put me off boating for ever.

I borrowed an old boat and went on holiday to the Black Country, had an ace time.

Sold modern scary boat bought old friendly boat and got on with my life.

Would live on board if I wasn't married.

I do not recomend any one doing it my way but you did ask

none at all seriously i spoke to a couple of people on the towpath and bought a boat.

I suggest the only thing i planned was getting the mooring, i was told by someone a space was available and i managed to covince BW to let me have it, this was before the auction process.

I had never been on a narrow boat, didnt truly understand the size of the network, how to work a lock, lift bridge and the electric bridge at Wrenbury caused a bit of head scratching

on the day i took control of he boat i stood on the back deck and realised i didnt know where the fuel or water went, how the electrics worked, how to start the boat, how to steer, how to stop, how to moor, how to tie up for the night.

i spent at least the first hour thinking how friendly everyone was because they were all waveing at me, untill i realsed i was passing on the wrong side.

my first lock was the Middlewich big lock, i worked out how to do it by asking the locals, Oh and i jumped my first lock queue there. well i didnt know! :-)

i got shouted at by Mauren at the wardle lock on the middlewich branch for incompitance, i know realise that is/was a right of passage

i finally found a tap to fill my water tank and it took so long to fill up i was convinced it had a leak, so spent the next few night having sinking flooding dreams

I crushed my cratch and headlight under a lift bridge

it was also bloody good news i was originaly pointing in the right direction because it was only once i had got to my home mooring that someone showed me how and where i could turn round.

But you know what i LOVED every stupid scary moment of that trip and it is the best thing i have done for a very long time, i also still love coming home to my boat.

so there you go Dont do it how i did it but if you do make the most of it because its great fun

9 months of researching (mainly by asking stupid questions on this forum), ensuring being of no fixed abode wouldn't negatively affect my work (I knew I wanted to travel) and getting my finances in order so my credit rating was as good as it could be. One week hire of a boat over Christmas to see what it was like in the cold and dark and wet. Maybe 5 months of boat viewings on and off to get a feel for what was out there. Then two viewings of the boat I wanted before I put the deposit on it, got me survey done, and so on.

I like to be pretty thorough when I make a big decision like that. But not everybody works that way. Horses for courses. smile.png

Er, yeah. Me an Monkey are quite different, aren't we? :P:lol::wub:

A mixture of heart and head. Heart: daughter lived on a boat, saw a great widebeam at Saul festival, decided to get a boat.

Lots of disappointing viewings, Crick show, thinking of new boat now.

Some advice from an old hand: "don't design your first boat yourself, buy a standard production boat". We did, it was delivered on time and to agreed price.

Having lived with it, as weekenders, we realised it could be improved. So we had it stretched.

This was delivered a bit late but really well done.

6 years on: wonderful!

Planning: this forum was fantastic helping out with beginner's questions. Magazines have helped too. Still learning!

I was wondering how much planing members did before taking the big step to buying a boat, I am looking at buying a boat but want to make sure i have as much information as possible, at present i am thinking of either new or used but not sure what way to go, i still have time to make up my mind. How long did you take? the forum is a great place for information and help with most topics and you can find answers to most of the questions asked.

Definitely go for used in my opinion. I know it has worked for a few, but in the main you really don't know what you need/want until you've lived on a boat. I've no idea what your budget is, but if you're seriously contemplating having a boat built I'm guessing high end, which means you can get a very nice second hand boat that's only a few years old but has had all it's teething problems sorted out. Then, if you find it's not the boat for you, you can sell without too much (if any) loss of capital and then either buy one more suited or have one built to your specifications now you know your needs/wants. It's an expensive mistake if you have one built then decide it's not for you. Plus you need to do loads of research about boat builders - there's been a lot of heartbreak and huge financial losses that we've witnessed on this forum through builders going under part way through a build.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey!

PS we did loads of research and planning, loads and loads, but then I'm the cautious type. We still felt like we were climbing a vertical slope when we moved aboard! We got through it though and are still happy with our choice four and a half years later.

i was living in a stupidly large house, living in the kitchen, bedroom and ensuite.....i made a scale model of my boat in card board, sold my porche 911 to fund the build.9 months later i was well into the building of the shell,had a car crash that dam near killed me ended up living in the yard in a caravan with an unfinshed boat and no cash, met a women and bought another house and built another business..parted from the women spent two years doing a 48hr shift at work and coming back and building the boat....at the time i thought it was a living hell and nearly sold the boat on more than one occasion..........

2012 launched the boat..........was it worth it?? would i do it again??

HELL YES every bit of pain misery and sacrifice......my life is now complete

• Greenie 1

Definitely go for used in my opinion. I know it has worked for a few, but in the main you really don't know what you need/want until you've lived on a boat. I've no idea what your budget is, but if you're seriously contemplating having a boat built I'm guessing high end, which means you can get a very nice second hand boat that's only a few years old but has had all it's teething problems sorted out. Then, if you find it's not the boat for you, you can sell without too much (if any) loss of capital and then either buy one more suited or have one built to your specifications now you know your needs/wants. It's an expensive mistake if you have one built then decide it's not for you. Plus you need to do loads of research about boat builders - there's been a lot of heartbreak and huge financial losses that we've witnessed on this forum through builders going under part way through a build.

I agree totally - I am astonished at the number of liveaboards I've met who jumped straight in and spent their life savings on a bespoke boat, with little or no experience of boating. It is utter madness in my opinion.

The great thing about narrowboats is they are so easy to sell compared to river and sea boats so you can buy a good secondhand boat knowing that you will be certain of selling if/when the time comes.

Another point, - space is at a premium on all narrowboats, but if you buy a smallish boat to start with when you trade up to a bigger one it will seem vast by comparison.

Lots of daydreaming and window shopping on the internet, not so much actual planning! We bought the first and only boat we looked at in the flesh; it was on Ebay and happened to be for sale on a mooring 10 minutes' walk from our home. It cost about what we'd have expected to pay for, say, three or four hire boat holidays - £6,500 - which we thought made it a reasonable buy 'just to try it out'.

Joined forum with a stupidly small amount of cash and a half-cocked idea to think about spending it on a boat of some kind, possibly, at some point- maybe not on the canals.

Three weeks later, owned narrowboat after making stupid bid on Ebay at way below the assessed value and winning it.

Therefore, owned boat before ever setting eyes on it, oh and btw I had never even been aboard a narrowboat ever, not once.

Collected boat and moved aboard a couple of weeks later, no idea how to work it, no Nicholsons, no moorings, headed for Braunston marina on spec hoping for a mooring. CarlT steered it all the way, as the boat hated me on sight.

One week with no gas (didn't know how to turn it on) Two weeks with no fridge (as I thought it didn't work- it did) three months with no running water, three months before I'd attempt to steer it again with help, nine months until I was confident enough to take it out on my own, nine months with no shower, mattress or bedroom.

Two years and three months on, I'm still here.

Starry- Next time I see you I will say hello. Each time previous you would have clashed with my favourite pastel pink 'Lyle & Scott' POLO shirt. We would have looked like kids TV presenters stood together LOL. Please inform us if you change your hair colour as I have a penchant for coloured Polo shirts & sure to have the same colour as your hair next time if I do not get a head's up.

You still created the best thread IMHO btw! Very pleased to hear you are still enjoying it all.

Very satisfying thread this....

I am planning to sell my business and start living on a narrowboat in 2016. I've been researching for about a year now, mostly Apollo Duck and on here and other internet resources. I have a week's hire booked next Summer to do some hands-on research, and while I know that Winter is a different animal entirely, I have for most of the last 26 years lived in the cab of an articulated lorry, including three Winters in Russia, so I think I'm probably hardy enough for it.

I may actually buy a boat next year if the right thing comes along and keep it on moorings until I'm ready to move aboard, having weekends and regular weeks away on it, still thinking about that bit at the mo.

Partner could row when he was five, inherited a small narrowboat when he was 20, community boated for decades, lots of holidays boating as a child, both on lumpy water, the canals and the Thames as his grandfather was mad on boats (and literally quite mad).

Me - 3 years community boating as crew for my partner, before we decided to buy a boat to live onboard. Yes we are London boaters who are self employed and this is the only way we can afford to live in London. Partner overjoyed, it was his life's dream.

Joined this forum, spent six months reading it and absorbing it and looking at boats online and in real life and then our perfect boat with perfect mooring appeared, it was meant to be.

Funnily enough I hated the first three months, I really thought I'd made the worst mistake. Now, every year that goes by (we're in our 8th year onboard ) I love it even more.

Southern Star after living in a truck all the space in a boat will give you agoraphobia.

Seriously you should take to it like a duck to water because you are already used to living in small spaces and being organised.

Just the thing for you, buy an old working boat. The floating version of your truck.

Starry- Next time I see you I will say hello. Each time previous you would have clashed with my favourite pastel pink 'Lyle & Scott' POLO shirt. We would have looked like kids TV presenters stood together LOL. Please inform us if you change your hair colour as I have a penchant for coloured Polo shirts & sure to have the same colour as your hair next time if I do not get a head's up.

You still created the best thread IMHO btw! Very pleased to hear you are still enjoying it all.

Very satisfying thread this....

Ah well funny you mention the hair! I love it, and I have had it pink this time around for a couple of years now, and it has kind of become my trademark.

But currently, I am thinking that I will let it grow out for now, and return to my usual gingery/dishwater blonde (with faded pink bits) for a while, because it is such a hassle to do, means that I can't really go swimming without a cap, and also, as my work increasingly has me meeting new people and interviewing people and they often seem a little taken aback that I am not what they expected...

So. Please do feel free to say hello! Holler if you're passing by, but bear in mind I very rarely do mornings. biggrin.png

And, I may have temporary chalk dyes of any colour you can imagine in my hair at any given moment.

The kids' TV presenter thing is funny too, I do a lot of double-taking in supermarkets upon hearing "MUM! that lady has pink hair! Is she a fairy princess?" Mother never seems as delighted as I am with this, and even less so when I respond "well yes, yes I am..." biggrin.png

Edited by Starcoaster

I have researched since May, written an on line blog of my thoughts and actions. Visited umpteen second hand boats before walking onto "the one", a sailaway which I lost due to not being able to get the money together in time. The fitter volunteered to put together a clone of the one I had seen and I am now one happy lady---I have attended two driving days--one on a wide bam t'other with willow wren. Did wide beam cos thought that if I could drive that I could drive anything. Son brought me vhs radio course for Christmas and has suggested a power boat course--think hes got the wrong idea. I lurk around on here, post questions, visit my boat weekly, pester my fitter with questions. I continually write up what I learn but I don't follow my acquired knowledge. Well one cannot be perfect. Soon to be crashing about canals and I will try to sail on the right side but I am sure anything I get wrong can be righted--it'll beat living where I do with neighbours who complain about the smell of sons aromatic cooking and put notes on my car telling me not to park where others do! My boat will need completing as S. is getting it up to sailaway plus standard and its oh so nearly there.clapping.gifclapping.gifboat.gif

Yes patty-ann, i was looking at going down that route as well with sailaway with all additions but thinking it through i thought it would work out just as cheep to get one fully fitted, i would like to get on water asap, so may look at newer second hand, i still have not ruled out sailaway yet still got time on my side just starting looking at different ideas, hope all goes well with your build and fit out.

3 years of proper planning & research & looking at boats (none of which I liked). The most experience I'd had of a narrowboat was a trip from Stoke Bruerne to the mouth of Blisworth tunnel & back again. I intended to live aboard.

Then out of the blue I finally got my marching orders from the mansion house I lived in (supposed to be 6 months max, ended up being 9 years) they were finally going to do the place up so I had 1 month to move out seeing as it would become a building site.

At that point my dream boat showed up, as did a mooring in my chosen area which wasnt available before, just at the right time. I got lucky that the brokers where one of the best ones out there (Rugby boats). I got lucky that the previous owners where really nice & showed me how to do everything, & left everything needed with the boat.

I spent £30k more than I had, which was £20k more than I intended.

All in all the only part of my 'plan' that was adhered to was having a pumpout toilet. Actually I wanted a pumpout & cassette, but if it didnt have a pumpout then I wasnt interested. (I also wanted a side hatch but it wasnt a deal breaker).

Now I have my boat (it has pumpout & side hatch) & everything is great.

I have since decided that toilet type doesnt matter & cassette would probably be preferable, & I hope to be fitting a cassette toilet as well fairly soon. I have also since decided that having a side hatch is an absolute must, & that not having one would be a deal breaker.

So much for plans!

Edited by Ssscrudddy

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't plan much and weren't aware of forums like this at the time. In here you can get lots of valuable information, just ask any questions you may have. With us, we just went for it but it was going to be a clear success because we really wanted it and we are very hands on. If you are unsure about the whole thing, I think a very good thing to do is renting out for a couple of weeks or a month and experience in your own skin the pros and cons.