Ireland canals

Mibosa

Featured Posts

I am travelling to Republic of Ireland in August and solo hiring a 9 metre cabin cruiser along the River Shannon. I note that the Grand Canal and the Royal Canal have quite a few locks along the canals, but would like to know if it is considered too hard for a a single person, in no great hurry to get anywhere, to negotiate the locks? I have previous experience with narrow boating on the River Thames and believe I could manage on either of the canals.

Hello Mibosa,The grand has full time lock keepers and the royal not so full time but it can be arranged.I would inform waterways Ireland http://www.waterwaysireland.org and i am sure they will give you all the relevant info.Please make sure you tell them that you are coming over from Australia and they will fall over them selves to help you.i have travelled up and down the grand loads of times on my own.when one lock keeper knows you are coming they will notify the next to let them know of your arrival and so on.if you need any more info just let me know.best of luck. paul

• 3 weeks later...

I am travelling to Republic of Ireland in August and solo hiring a 9 metre cabin cruiser along the River Shannon. I note that the Grand Canal and the Royal Canal have quite a few locks along the canals, but would like to know if it is considered too hard for a a single person, in no great hurry to get anywhere, to negotiate the locks? I have previous experience with narrow boating on the River Thames and believe I could manage on either of the canals.

Hi Mibosa,

only saw your post just now.

Don't know where you are hiring from, but with cruisers from the usual hire companies you are only allowed to navigate the Grand Canal from Shannonharbour to Tullamore. Everything else is off limits.

The Lockies on the Grand are extremely helpful and they pass you on from one lock-keeper to the next. Locking single handed without the help of a keeper as most locks have a substantial bridge over the lock tail.

You can find a good guide here: http://shop.iwai.ie/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

Otherwise the Shannon is a lovely Navigation and you will sure not get bored there.

odet