maintenance

Whitewater

Featured Posts

I am in discussions with my insurance company as my mushroom leaked. It seems I should have done maintenance on it. However I am still trying to establish what that actually means.

What damage did the leaking mushroom vent do? And how old is the boat and the mushroom vent?

Tom - a good list that! We are buying our first NB and need to paint a fox on it, I have some ideas already. Are you painting your own fox? What kind of paints does one use? I'm in the process of composing our "things-to-do" list and it's gonna be pretty long! One thing I wonder about is where can one clean one's boat, I mean wash the exterior? Does one have to do this kind of thing at night so others don't notice the run-off going into the...er...canal??!!

If there's anyone here who's good at painting a boat name sign and would like to have a go at ours, offers considered: we're after a witch riding a springing/jumping fox. Boat in south Birmingham at the moment...

Tom - a good list that! We are buying our first NB and need to paint a fox on it, I have some ideas already. Are you painting your own fox? What kind of paints does one use? I'm in the process of composing our "things-to-do" list and it's gonna be pretty long! One thing I wonder about is where can one clean one's boat, I mean wash the exterior? Does one have to do this kind of thing at night so others don't notice the run-off going into the...er...canal??!!

If there's anyone here who's good at painting a boat name sign and would like to have a go at ours, offers considered: we're after a witch riding a springing/jumping fox. Boat in south Birmingham at the moment...

Is Emerald Fox your Boat name then?

I will probably be having a go at our fox, though haven't started thinking about it yet. Might be this summer, more likely it'll roll over to next year...

If cleaning the outside of your boat, you can get eco friendly detergents (ecover) and also specially formulated eco 'boat soap'. You only need the one bottle, once it runs out just refill with your choice of cleaning fluid and you can always point to the bottle and exclaim your innocence!

"Emerald Fox" is the name of my small 5m long open boat here at home (20hp Evinrude outboard), the name for our NB should be "Witchy & Foxy" / "Foxy & Witchy" (or perhaps in Finnish: "Noita & Kettu"). Have copied your list and will rummage thru' it to see what's appropriate for us :)

What is on your maintenance list. I can understand hull blacking, engine and or generator. What external fittings do you have on your list, when,how and what do you do.

Any thoughts

test the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms weekly when aboard

Check the fire extinguisher for damage and pressure loss every few months e.g. quarter

Clean the stove flue pipe every six months or sooner especially if it is having heavy use or unseasoned or softwood is being burnt

Check gas pressure weekly if you have a bubble tester

Check gas hoses routinely for signs of cracking or deterioration

Check batteries for fluid and check the restraints and that the battery connections are sound and that the terminals are covered.

Check stoves for gaps, missing plates, door glass, stove pipes for signs of escaping combustion gases.

Check the bilges for oil

Check engine mounts for security

Check on engine hoses

Check fuel systems for security and leaks including tanks, fillers hoses, vent hose and fuel delivery lines

Just a few pointers

Rob

I noticed no mention of mushroom vents

test the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms weekly when aboard

Check the fire extinguisher for damage and pressure loss every few months e.g. quarter

Clean the stove flue pipe every six months or sooner especially if it is having heavy use or unseasoned or softwood is being burnt

Check gas pressure weekly if you have a bubble tester

Check gas hoses routinely for signs of cracking or deterioration

Check batteries for fluid and check the restraints and that the battery connections are sound and that the terminals are covered.

Check stoves for gaps, missing plates, door glass, stove pipes for signs of escaping combustion gases.

Check the bilges for oil

Check engine mounts for security

Check on engine hoses

Check fuel systems for security and leaks including