Novice seeking practical help with cruising & marina recommendations

Lily May

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any contact details for Mr Smelly?

I think it would be fairer to leave it to him if he wants to help TBH.

Although he is not posting he may still look in from time to time and see your posts.

ed. there surely must be someone else on here who is based around there that could help Lily May out??

Edited by The Dog House

I think it would be fairer to leave it to him if he wants to help TBH.

Although he is not posting he may still look in from time to time and see your posts.

ed. there surely must be someone else on here who is based around there that could help Lily May out??

Fair play. Think you can tell how keen (desperate) I am to learn and get mobile!

From the web site -

Sawley Marina, Nottinghamshire Sawley Marina is located on a navigational cut of the River Trent near Long Eaton, Nottingham, East Midlands and is the largest Inland Marina in the United Kingdom with a water space of 23 acres. Planning approved residential moorings, most with electricity and water, are provided for 600 boats. The RIver Soar, River Derwent, and Derby are all nearby.

I find that a bit confusing TBH as the way it's written it implies 600 berths are 'Planning approved residential' which can't be correct surely?

The Marina is rolling out the residential moorings in April. Not sure on how many hundred.

Lots of space for any size boats...everyone's leaving! huh.png

I think it's clear from the web site and the offers they are putting out that they are, shall we say 'keen' to bring in some moorers, indicative of lots of space.

Reads exactly that way for me too. I'm reasonably certain not all moorings are residential from my one and only visit there. The officially resi moorings are noticeably different, being behind extra fencing, and higher priced too IIRC.

Plenty of leisure moorings are being used for resi though too and the population density seemed extremely high when I was there last year, giving the whole place a bit of a run-down, 'shanty town' feel.

MtB

There are no official residential moorings here until April. The ones by the chandlry are premier berths (or a similar name) Grade 1 with servicing and extras included.

There are no official residential moorings here until April. The ones by the chandlry are premier berths (or a similar name) Grade 1 with servicing and extras included.

Ah yes, those are the ones I'm thinking of. I'm reasonably sure they were being described as fully resi last summer though. Or maybe that was just an impression they were attempting to convey witout actually saying so.

Are you saying that come April, the whole place gets PP for residential??!!

MtB

I think it's clear from the web site and the offers they are putting out that they are, shall we say 'keen' to bring in some moorers, indicative of lots of space.

Yes. Due to the points made in my OP, in my opinion. The moorings are pretty expensive and facilities are poorly maintained - especially in the winter.

Hi By'eck,

That's brilliant news! I'll contact the marina re: availability on Monday. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and feedback. It really is appreciated clapping.gif

I hope that you don't mind me asking, but would you be available / willing to accompany my first outing at all? I am quick and eager to learn and would be happy to compensate you for your time and trouble. No pressure at all though. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you for your feedback on the marina. I may be seeing you there at the end of the month if all goes to plan biggrin.png

Be happy to if I'm on the boat - unfortunately its a busy month for me commitment wise, so will probably only be aboard for the next 12 days or so. Give us a knock though - you can't miss it.

Ah yes, those are the ones I'm thinking of. I'm reasonably sure they were being described as fully resi last summer though. Or maybe that was just an impression they were attempting to convey witout actually saying so.

Are you saying that come April, the whole place gets PP for residential??!!

MtB

Yes they are the ones. I think that is the image being portrayed to draw in more custom. Several hundred residential berths are coming in April. Not the whole marina. Last time I checked the take up rate was poor.

Yes they are the ones. I think that is the image being portrayed to draw in more custom. Several hundred residential berths are coming in April. Not the whole marina. Last time I checked the take up rate was poor.

I'm not surprised, given that a leisure mooring is cheaper. Why rent a resi mooring when a leisure does fundamentally the same job.

I wonder if all the leisure liveaboards are in for a rude shock later when BWML invite them to take a more expensive resi mooring or stop living aboard!

MtB

Nuffin wrong with Springers! Far more 'boat for your money' than with many posher builders.

I'd suggest that just looking and seeing how your outdrive works will give you a better feel for how the steering behaves. Knowing that you only get steerage while the prop is spinning should help too.

MtB

P.S. Any chance of posting in 'normal' text please? Some of us find consistency in text across posts makes the site easier to read. Other may disagree! Thanks.

I think a Springer will be my next boat in a few years time. They seem pretty solid from the little I know.

I have to be honest, I haven't a clue regarding your advice to:

"I'd suggest that just looking and seeing how your outdrive works will give you a better feel for how the steering behaves"

Could you elaborate please?

Re: The text - I tend to spend clusters of time on the computer getting things done when the internet connects as it often has broken connection (the joys of boating life!). It gives me terrible eyestrain and headaches so I use unicode as it is a little clearer for me to read as it seems to be a little more spaced out than arial. Hope that's okey dokey? wink.png

I'm not surprised, given that a leisure mooring is cheaper. Why rent a resi mooring when a leisure does fundamentally the same job.

I wonder if all the leisure liveaboards are in for a rude shock later when BWML invite them to take a more expensive resi mooring or stop living aboard!

MtB

Absolutely. I think things will get worse here before they get better. I think that residential moorings are an attempt to claw back money lost due to lower occupancy rates, but like you feel it may be imposed on all at a later date.

Be happy to if I'm on the boat - unfortunately its a busy month for me commitment wise, so will probably only be aboard for the next 12 days or so. Give us a knock though - you can't miss it.

Thank you. I'll PM you

This is in to its 4th page now and you still haven't had a firm offer of help. I am really surprised!

C'mon people in that area help a new member.

I would certainly help if I could, but I don't know when we'll be down at the boat next.

Edited by Beaker

It's certainly larger in area looking at the satellite pics, maybe Sawley has more spaces for smaller boats?

Yes, I suspect that it's down to total available mooring length vs number of berths. No idea what Mercia's acreage is, though it's just over a mile to walk round the whole thing.

Lots of take up for residential moorings here, but the extra charge is going to be £150, not £1,000 AUIU.

I would certainly help if I could, but I don't know when we'll be down at the boat next.

Aww bless your heart happy.png Thank you so much for your kindness. I've been quite overwhelmed by the support on here. I'm making progress step by step. I have a marina venue to check out and a good support network of fellow boaters on here. Things are moving in the right direction. Thank you so much again. I really appreciate it!

This is in to its 4th page now and you still haven't had a firm offer of help. I am really surprised!

C'mon people in that area help a new member.

I think the problem is it's a cruiser. Most boaters on here have narrowboats and cruisers are as big a mystery to them as submarines.

MtB

I think the problem is it's a cruiser. Most boaters on here have narrowboats and cruisers are as big a mystery to them as submarines.

MtB

That shouldn't really be an issue should it (or was it tongue in cheek?)

Yes the handling characteristics and wheel steering may be different but I read all the OP really needs is just someone to 'hold her hand' (no not literally!) while she gains some confidence.

it was a serious comment. An attempt to find a reason for no-one applying for the vacancy of hand-holder.

I'm inclined to volunteer but I haven't steered a cruise for 30 years, nor am I local but as no-one else is offering, I'll travel up and take you out for a couple of hours of practise Lily May. You'll prolly have to wait a week or two though...

MtB

• Greenie 1

it was a serious comment. An attempt to find a reason for no-one applying for the vacancy of hand-holder.

I'm inclined to volunteer but I haven't steered a cruise for 30 years, nor am I local but as no-one else is offering, I'll travel up and take you out for a couple of hours of practise Lily May. You'll prolly have to wait a week or two though...

MtB

You turn the wheel to the right and the boat goes to the right, turn it to the left and it goes the other way.....;)

(Well done Mike though for offering to step up.)

Edited by The Dog House

Thank you so much for your support, Biggles. It is very much appreciated:clapping:

Like Phil I am in the Fens so it's a bit far to come, and I have no experience of cruisers. I know you are nervous about going out, we all were at some point. If you do decide to try, remember the golden rule is "go slowly". It took me years to get that into my head. It didn't really hit home fully until I launched the WB.

MtB

Have a greenie!