Novice seeking practical help with cruising & marina recommendations

Lily May

Featured Posts

I would recommend Mercia too, come and take a look, its not far from Sawley as has been said and is easy to cruise up here too. (we are newish and once off the River Trent, we actually started to enjoy the cruise).

Hi Deckhand,

Good to know. Apparantly there is a waiting list for Mercia currently. We will definitely bear this in mind for the future though. Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated. Happy cruising! captain.gif

You lost the job as a temp typist, then?

Touch screen on ipod, big fingers, no glasses. All conspire ti wreck my normally good speaking spelling.

Heh heh - - that's a good excuse - you stick to it, Jelunga!! wink.png

I did guess that the reason was technological, yes! These blasted electronic devices have a nimd og their iwn.

Whoops.

Interestingly, there is a school of thought that sYs thaf even with up to 50% if the letters missjng or jncorrect we cab still u derstynd most sentincos

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

MtB

That certainly wirks dor me. No problem reading and as quick as if it was spalled corrictly

Wlel, arghlit, but deos taht wrok for any stcnneee?

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

In my experience marinas are a love it or hate it place. I have stayed at 3 really nice ones and one total crap one. The crap one I slipped away from one boxing day (paid up till 31/12/??) never to return.

OP just get out there and do it. 7 years ago I'd never helmed a boat and bought a 60' NB. It was a steep learning curve and on one occasion a wet one, but I would not have missed a moment of those formative months

There is no shortcut to experience.

Hello Lily May - I'm not attempting to defend Sawley if you have been on the receiving end of poor service, but I've been there a few times and don't really relate to the comments you make.

Firstly, you have to bear in mind that Sawley is, I think, the largest inland marina in the country so you can't expect the sort of cozy community you might get at a much smaller marina.

But, by your own admission you are new to this game, and have little boating experience, so keep in mind that this is a very different world from that which you might be used to on "dry land". What you describe may well be the culture shock of the more "relaxed" approach you tend to get at many boatyards/marinas.

If, as you say, you want to escape the "rat race" I'm afraid you are not going to get ruthless efficiency and razor sharp customer service, - life is much more hit and miss on the cut and thank goodness, that's one of the reasons many of us choose to escape to the canals.

As regards Castle Marina, if you want security they certainly seem to have that from what I can remember, but you always have to consider why the marinas that have entry systems and security fences feel the need for them. It wouldn't be my choice but you do have the advantage of being close to the city and its facilities if that is of prime importance.

Can you tell us what sort of cruiser you have?

Hi Neil,
When did you visit and for how long? I'm glad to hear that you experienced better service than we have in the last 12 months, but everyones experience is valid wink.png
I am aware that Sawley is the largest marina in the country. We did make friends here initially, but inevitably, all moved on, not due to travel plans which is to be expected in boating, but due to dissatisfaction with the marina itself. Whilst making friends in the surrounding pubs and cafes we were also told that there had been a mass exodus from Sawley in recent years specifically due to dissatisfaction with service.
When I say I'm new to boating, I was specifically referring to steering a boat. I have researched this lifestyle, stayed on boats and subscribed to boating magazines for over 10 years. I have travelled worldwide, alone on many occasions and lived a very 'alternative' lifestyle for the past 15 years, similar to how the boating lifestyle is perceived. Your perception of me experiencing a culture shock is wholly inaccurate.
I am used to a very relaxed lifestyle, which I welcome. However, in my opinion, no matter how relaxed your lifestyle is, if you pay for a service, you have a right to expect the very basic criteria of that service to be met otherwise, customers have every right to complain and vote with their feet / boat and cruise away. Customer service is key to any business. As is a genuine interest in providing a good service to paying customers. Also, a smile costs nothing biggrin.png This applies to life on dry land , boating or wherever you live. In my book / boat a relaxed lifestyle does not equate to accepting sloppy service.
This is not an issue for me to address any further than I have attempted to. I will be voting with my feet. BWML need to analyse occupancy changes, customer feedback and take appropriate action to save what is a beautiful marina which is sadly poorly run. I came on here to look for a solution to my own personal needs to keep my life as relaxed and enjoyable as possible biggrin.png
Nottingham Marina sounds like a good alternative in the short term as rail connections are of importance to me in the next year or so.
Thank you for your reply & for your feedback biggrin.png

In my experience marinas are a love it or hate it place. I have stayed at 3 really nice ones and one total crap one. The crap one I slipped away from one boxing day (paid up till 31/12/??) never to return.

OP just get out there and do it. 7 years ago I'd never helmed a boat and bought a 60' NB. It was a steep learning curve and on one occasion a wet one, but I would not have missed a moment of those formative months

There is no shortcut to experience.

Hi Biggles,

I am mostly looking for a winter mooring. I hope to cruise most of the Spring and Summer (weather permitting) and continual cruise in the next few years. The marina is just a base to commute from when I need to for the next year or so. Your feedback on Marinas per say is helpful. I am very nomadic and feel that they are a starting point as I find my feet / sea legs as beginner in the short term boat.gif biggrin.png

As for just getting out there, I am not at all happy to do so as I have no experience cruising, operating locks or any know how of how to get out of a sticky situation should one arise.

I am concerned for my safety, the safety of other cruisers and that of my boat, which is also my home. An unsuccessful cruise could result in me being homeless.

I am not criticising your advice at all. Many have advised me to just get out there. But for the reasons above I would need someone knowledgable to accompany me a few times first.

I compare cruising a vessel to driving a car. You are in charge of a vehicle that can cause damage to yourself, others and property.

I still feel the need for a guide on my first few trips because of this.

Thank you for your reply & feedback. Very much appreciatedbiggrin.png

Thank you to all for your replies and feedback. I really appreciate it!clapping.gif

Hi Dog House,

I have researched and heard great things about Mercia and would try it out, except I need to be located near to good train connections as I have comittments that I need rail access to for the next year or so. Thank you so much for replying and for your helpful feedback though. Much appreciated as I will bear this mooring in mind for future use biggrin.png

Willington station is about 10-15 minutes on foot from Mercia Marina front entrance if it helps.

Willington station is about 10-15 minutes on foot from Mercia Marina front entrance if it helps.

Hi Dog House,

That's good to know for the future. Thank you! One of the previous posters has alerted me to a waiting list for cruisers. I think I'll take a look at Nottingham Castle Marina when I'm mobile boat.gif

Thanks for taking the time to reply again. I really appreciate it! biggrin.png

I

Is nobody free to ride shotgun for Lily May, just so she can get her confidence level up a notch or two
Phil

I'm sure a few of us on here would be very happy to help if we were anywhere near Nottingham - I'm not, but the reason I was asking what sort of boat she has is if we knew that we might be able to offer some advice. The handling characteristics of these boats can vary wildly, especially when it's windy and access on and off can be an issue. There are certain boats that I would say would be tricky for a novice and it could be her fears are well founded.

I

I'm sure a few of us on here would be very happy to help if we were anywhere near Nottingham - I'm not, but the reason I was asking what sort of boat she has is if we knew that we might be able to offer some advice. The handling characteristics of these boats can vary wildly, especially when it's windy and access on and off can be an issue. There are certain boats that I would say would be tricky for a novice and it could be her fears are well founded.

Neil, having lived on a GRP cruiser for 10 years I know only too well their little foibles which was why I sort of prompted offers of help, myself in the Fens am a bit too far or I would have offered.

Phil

If the location of Sawley is ok, -what about the Derby Cruising Club moorings next door. I don't think they have that many facilities but I suspect they will be cheaper- and at lease you may then get what you pay for.

Thanks, Woodstock. I'll look this up and possibly put it in the running. I appreciate you taking the time to reply biggrin.png

Is nobody free to ride shotgun for Lily May, just so she can get her confidence level up a notch or two

Phil

Neil, having lived on a GRP cruiser for 10 years I know only too well their little foibles which was why I sort of prompted offers of help, myself in the Fens am a bit too far or I would have offered.

Phil

Thank you so much for your support, Phil. It means a lot clapping.gif

I

Hi again Neil,

I have a Nauticus 27 which is a solid boat in great shape. However, according to my research it can steer somewhat like a Tesco shopping trolley!?unsure.png

Welcome Lily May - we're oop Norf or we could help you out - as for marinas - we lasted 3 weeks - I think they're a bit like Marmite - we love CC and can more or less be near stations/bus routes for me for work - good luck

Hi StarUKKiwi,

Thanks for the welcome biggrin.png If your ever passing, give us a shout. Happy cruising!captain.gif

Edited by Lily May

Thanks, Woodstock. I'll look this up and possibly put it in the running. I appreciate you taking the time to reply biggrin.png

Hi again Neil,

I have a Nauticus 27 which is a solid boat in great shape. However, according to my research it can steer somewhat like a Tesco shopping trolley!?unsure.png

Hi StarUKKiwi,

Thanks for the welcome biggrin.png If your ever passing, give us a shout. Happy cruising!captain.gif

Lol - we have a Springer - you don't so much steer as point her in the direction which you think she might like to go!

We had a really useful one day training course with Willow Wren Training when we first took ownership of our boat. Steve came to us and we used our own (narrow) boat. We were at Debdale at the time but I've no doubt he would come up to Sawley (they are based in Rugby). I've had a quick look at their website and it doesn't mention cruisers but it's probably worth giving them a ring. As has been said before though, the course sets you on the right path and teaches you the key dos and don'ts but you will still get yourself in the occasional pickle! Enjoy!

Hi again Neil,

I suspected it was a Nauticus.

The vast majority are have outdrives, apart from the few that have been converted to outboard motors.

So the boat basically doesn't have a rudder and you can only really control it when under power. Steering a boat with a single outdrive is a little tricky until you get used to it, but the Nauticus has a well deserved reputation for not going where it is pointed - the Tesco trolley will handle much better!

But, from what owners have told me, you can improve matters drastically by adding quite a lot of weight up front. It's quite well known that these boats handle much better with a couple of bodies hanging off the bow, so all you need to do is stick a couple of sandbags or some gravel or whatever in the bow locker.

Also, have a look at the owners website - it's not that well used but there is some useful info there. http://www.nauticus.co.uk/

You might even find a friendly owner willing to help with your first steps.

Hi Lily May

I'm presently wintering in Castle Marina, Nottingham so can offer informed opinion.

A large full service marina with chandelry and boat sales offering residential or non-residential moorings.

Its situated immediately off the Nottingham canal 20-25 minutes walk west of the city centre which has an excellent bus service including free rides between bus stations. A city full of heritage including Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, reputably the oldest pub in England existing from 1189 AD, and partially built into the sandstone base of Nottingham castle.

There are many eating places, pubs, a hotel and a large Sainsbury's adjacent to marina.

Security is excellent with transponder fob controlled steel gates.

Tony the maintenance guy is always around to give help and advice.

Prices I would say are average.

Hope this helps.

It's true Willington has a rail station, but only a few trains stop there.angry.png There's an hourly bus service from just outside the marina to both Burton and Derby, however. clapping.gif

smiley_offtopic.gif Interested to hear that Sawley is the largest marina in the country as Mercia (640 berths all told) claims to be the largest inland marina in Europe.blink.png

Lol - we have a Springer - you don't so much steer as point her in the direction which you think she might like to go!

I have been looking at a few Springers last week. I must be drawn to wayward boats!!!laugh.png

I suspected it was a Nauticus.

The vast majority are have outdrives, apart from the few that have been converted to outboard motors.

So the boat basically doesn't have a rudder and you can only really control it when under power. Steering a boat with a single outdrive is a little tricky until you get used to it, but the Nauticus has a well deserved reputation for not going where it is pointed - the Tesco trolley will handle much better!

But, from what owners have told me, you can improve matters drastically by adding quite a lot of weight up front. It's quite well known that these boats handle much better with a couple of bodies hanging off the bow, so all you need to do is stick a couple of sandbags or some gravel or whatever in the bow locker.

Also, have a look at the owners website - it's not that well used but there is some useful info there. http://www.nauticus.co.uk/

You might even find a friendly owner willing to help with your first steps.

Hi again Neil biggrin.png

I thought as much re: steering which is why I don't feel comfortable without guidance on first few trips. The weight (ballast?) is really good up front so that is one step towards easier steering. I have had a look at the owners website before buying but never thought to seek out anyone local from the site to help. I'll look at that this week. Thanks for taking the time to reply again. I really appreciate it! biggrin.png

Hi Lily May

I'm presently wintering in Castle Marina, Nottingham so can offer informed opinion.

A large full service marina with chandelry and boat sales offering residential or non-residential moorings.

Its situated immediately off the Nottingham canal 20-25 minutes walk west of the city centre which has an excellent bus service including free rides between bus stations. A city full of heritage including Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, reputably the oldest pub in England existing from 1189 AD, and partially built into the sandstone base of Nottingham castle.

There are many eating places, pubs, a hotel and a large Sainsbury's adjacent to marina.

Security is excellent with transponder fob controlled steel gates.

Tony the maintenance guy is always around to give help and advice.

Prices I would say are average.

Hope this helps.

Hi By'eck,

That's brilliant news! I'll contact the marina re: availability on Monday. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and feedback. It really is appreciated clapping.gif

I hope that you don't mind me asking, but would you be available / willing to accompany my first outing at all? I am quick and eager to learn and would be happy to compensate you for your time and trouble. No pressure at all though. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you for your feedback on the marina. I may be seeing you there at the end of the month if all goes to plan biggrin.png

It's true Willington has a rail station, but only a few trains stop there.angry.png There's an hourly bus service from just outside the marina to both Burton and Derby, however. clapping.gif

smiley_offtopic.gif Interested to hear that Sawley is the largest marina in the country as Mercia (640 berths all told) claims to be the largest inland marina in Europe.blink.png

Thanks for the update Bruce biggrin.png

According to the blurb, Sawley is the largest Inland Marina in the United Kingdom

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/sawley_marina

It's a real pity Tim (mrsmelly) is no longer posting on here, I suspect he would have offered a bit of tuition - and he's based in the Midlands.

(And who better to do so than the skipper of the Nottingham Princess!)

It's certainly larger in area looking at the satellite pics, maybe Sawley has more spaces for smaller boats?

I have been looking at a few Springers last week. I must be drawn to wayward boats!!!laugh.png

Nuffin wrong with Springers! Far more 'boat for your money' than with many posher builders.

Hi again Neil biggrin.png

I thought as much re: steering which is why I don't feel comfortable without guidance on first few trips. The weight (ballast?) is really good up front so that is one step towards easier steering.

I'd suggest that just looking and seeing how your outdrive works will give you a better feel for how the steering behaves. Knowing that you only get steerage while the prop is spinning should help too.

MtB

P.S. Any chance of posting in 'normal' text please? Some of us find consistency in text across posts makes the site easier to read. Other may disagree! Thanks.

It's certainly larger in area looking at the satellite pics, maybe Sawley has more spaces for smaller boats?

From the web site -

Sawley Marina, Nottinghamshire Sawley Marina is located on a navigational cut of the River Trent near Long Eaton, Nottingham, East Midlands and is the largest Inland Marina in the United Kingdom with a water space of 23 acres. Planning approved residential moorings, most with electricity and water, are provided for 600 boats. The RIver Soar, River Derwent, and Derby are all nearby.

I find that a bit confusing TBH as the way it's written it implies 600 berths are 'Planning approved residential' which can't be correct surely?

I find that a bit confusing TBH as the way it's written it implies 600 berths are 'Planning approved residential' which can't be correct surely?

Reads exactly that way for me too. I'm reasonably certain not all moorings are residential from my one and only visit there. The officially resi moorings are noticeably different, being behind extra fencing, and higher priced too IIRC.

Plenty of leisure moorings are being used for resi though too and the population density seemed extremely high when I was there last year, giving the whole place a bit of a run-down, 'shanty town' feel.

MtB

It's a real pity Tim (mrsmelly) is no longer posting on here, I suspect he would have offered a bit of tuition - and he's based in the Midlands.

(And who better to do so than the skipper of the Nottingham Princess!)

Does anyone have any contact details for Mr Smelly?