Novice seeking practical help with cruising & marina recommendations

Lily May

Featured Posts

Mercia is near Willington which has a railway station

Hi Jelunga,

Mercia has a waiting list (for cruisers) at present. The train service from Nottingham is much more direct for the cities that I need to access, so Castle Marina looks ideal for now.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Very much appreciated!

All the best,

Catherine

Engage them to sell your boat, then buy it off 'em. Simple!

biggrin.png

MtB

Good thinking Batman (boilerman)! wink.png

As it looks like we may be cruising in time for the spring (fingers crossed) I think continual cruising may be the best option in the spring and summer months. We can research a winter mooring while we are on the go.

Just one question about that (I'm finding in this boating lark each solution tends to throw up a new quandry!) If you are continually cruising with no shower facilities on board what do you do for washing facilities?blush.png

Apologies for what may seem a silly question. I'm new to all of these practicalities. I can live without most luxuries, but a good wash isn't one. Maybe I will need a leisure mooring as a back up?

Good thinking Batman (boilerman)! wink.png

As it looks like we may be cruising in time for the spring (fingers crossed) I think continual cruising may be the best option in the spring and summer months. We can research a winter mooring while we are on the go.

Just one question about that (I'm finding in this boating lark each solution tends to throw up a new quandry!) If you are continually cruising with no shower facilities on board what do you do for washing facilities?blush.png

Apologies for what may seem a silly question. I'm new to all of these practicalities. I can live without most luxuries, but a good wash isn't one. Maybe I will need a leisure mooring as a back up?

IIRC a popular mod in a Nauticus is to lose the wardrobe and knock through the partition with the toilet to make a big enough space for a shower. I doubt you will get anything bigger than a 2' x 2' tray in though.

Without a shower on board you are at the mercy of CRT sanitary station showers which, in my experience, are usually adequate.

Our first boat had a shower of sorts but it was so cramped we always used the san stations. It takes about as long to have a shower as to top up the water tank on a NB so we used to nip in and out when taking on water. To be honest even with our bigger boat we would often prefer to use the BW facilities but it's a couple of years since we last did any serious cruising so I don't know if the standard/provision is better or worse these days.

Or, you can spend the odd night in a marina and use their services which I guess are a step above CRT..?

IIRC a popular mod in a Nauticus is to lose the wardrobe and knock through the partition with the toilet to make a big enough space for a shower. I doubt you will get anything bigger than a 2' x 2' tray in though.

Without a shower on board you are at the mercy of CRT sanitary station showers which, in my experience, are usually adequate.

Our first boat had a shower of sorts but it was so cramped we always used the san stations. It takes about as long to have a shower as to top up the water tank on a NB so we used to nip in and out when taking on water. To be honest even with our bigger boat we would often prefer to use the BW facilities but it's a couple of years since we last did any serious cruising so I don't know if the standard/provision is better or worse these days.

Or, you can spend the odd night in a marina and use their services which I guess are a step above CRT..?

Hi Again, Neil smile.png

I had no knowledge about the CRT sanitary station showers that you mention. Are these widely available / chargeable?

To be fair, I could convert my toilet into a shower as I do not use my loo. I use marina or public loos. The wardrobe has been knocked into the loo to provide a vanity unit which we never use = total waste of space.

If I needed to convert my loo to a somewhat cramped shower area does anyone here have the skills to do so that could give me a rough estimate for a basic unit? This facility would enable me to continually cruise much quicker than I had anticipated.

Thank you so much for your feedback, Neil. It may have totally changed my plans for the better clapping.gif

To be fair, I could convert my toilet into a shower as I do not use my loo. I use marina or public loos. The wardrobe has been knocked into the loo to provide a vanity unit which we never use = total waste of space.

But you wont have a marina loo to use if you cc.

But you wont have a marina loo to use if you cc.

True. Relying solely on public loos could be difficult and restrictive. Just thinking out loud. I need to find out more about the availability and location of the sanitary stations mentioned by Neil and explore this as a option that I could try out.

Not even sure if this is possible or not, but could your current on-board loo facility be turned into a wet room? Whereby having a shower and loo?

This would be an ideal solution, Bettie. I'll look into this to see if it is possible and if it would conform to BSC regulations. Thanks!

Lily May, just an idea, on our first boat the bathroom was tiny and the shower tray was flush with the floor and was covered with a panel when not in use. The mixer tap on the hand basin was one that could be pulled out and plugged into a socket on the wall, a shower curtain pulled round to keep water off the loo and door. I tanked out the floor with vinyl so it was sort of a wet room, didn't take much to do nor expensive. When you finished showering it only took a mo to plug the tap (a mono lever mixer)back into the hand basin and put the floor panel back.

Phil

This would be an ideal solution, Bettie. I'll look into this to see if it is possible and if it would conform to BSC regulations. Thanks!

They would not be interested. You can do what you like so long as you don't put human waste into the canal as that is against the law, but no one will check if your boat has a toilet/show/ or even hot tub.

If you are continually cruising with no shower facilities on board what do you do for washing facilities?blush.png

I don't live aboard, but do go boating on a boat without a shower. Options include:

• Stand up wash on the boat
  • Showers in CRT sanitary station where available
  • Local leisure centres sometimes let you have a shower for a modest charge
  • Many motorway service areas have showers
  • Shower on a friend's boat
  • Shower in a friend's house
  • A dunk in the canal (usually unintentional).

Lily May, just an idea, on our first boat the bathroom was tiny and the shower tray was flush with the floor and was covered with a panel when not in use. The mixer tap on the hand basin was one that could be pulled out and plugged into a socket on the wall, a shower curtain pulled round to keep water off the loo and door. I tanked out the floor with vinyl so it was sort of a wet room, didn't take much to do nor expensive. When you finished showering it only took a mo to plug the tap (a mono lever mixer)back into the hand basin and put the floor panel back.

Phil

Sounds like a plan! Thank you so much, Phil. I'll look into this biggrin.png

They would not be interested. You can do what you like so long as you don't put human waste into the canal as that is against the law, but no one will check if your boat has a toilet/show/ or even hot tub.

Good to know. Does weeing in the canal during an unplanned swim count as illegal activity??!!! laugh.png

Do it in the old fashoned way smile.png

12348481814_b892b47233.jpg

I don't live aboard, but do go boating on a boat without a shower. Options include:

• Stand up wash on the boat
  • Showers in CRT sanitary station where available
  • Local leisure centres sometimes let you have a shower for a modest charge
  • Many motorway service areas have showers
  • Shower on a friend's boat
  • Shower in a friend's house
  • A dunk in the canal (usually unintentional).

Very resourceful! Thanks! When my home shower was on the blink awaiting fixage, I had a daily swim & shower at my local gym before work. I was the picture of health as a consequence. Worth consideration smile.png

Or. Set up tin bath upon a plinth of bricks on towpath, fill with water, light a fire of sticks beneath it, wait for water to heat up, grasp hold of soap, get in. lovely. closedeyes.gif

I'm really ok with this. Locals may object. Do I need planning permission??!! laugh.png

Do it in the old fashoned way smile.png

12348481814_b892b47233.jpg

May be my only option. So be it! biggrin.png

Or. Set up tin bath upon a plinth of bricks on towpath, fill with water, light a fire of sticks beneath it, wait for water to heat up, grasp hold of soap, get in. lovely. closedeyes.gif

You jest, I was going down the South Oxford last time out and photographed what I thought was a home made steam box, I asked the owner what he intended bending only to be told it was his bath heating up.

Good to know. Does weeing in the canal during an unplanned swim count as illegal activity??!!! laugh.png

Only if they are snorkeling nearby and see you cloud9.gif

Hi Lily May.

I've only just noticed your post.

I have been boating on cruisers since the age of 10 (nearly forty years) Initially on my parents 19' Dawncraft Dandy with an outboard engine and their Creigton Inlander 32 with an inboard engine and shaft drive. I took the plunge and bought a Viking 26 11 years ago with an outboard engine, which I moored at Shardlow Marina, I replaced that after 5 years with a 28ft Dawcraft with inboard engine and outdrive.

All these four boats have had very different handling characteristics. Last year I was lucky enough to upgrade to a 57ft narrowboat, which is a completely different kettle of fish compared to a tupperware boats. The cruisers being more manoeuvrable but very prone to the slightest bit of wind, which normally means you need to go a bit quicker in windy conditions to maintain your course.

I live about 20 mins from Sawley marina and would be happy to come and help you master the Nauticus.