Novice seeking practical help with cruising & marina recommendations

Lily May

Featured Posts

I think the problem is it's a cruiser. Most boaters on here have narrowboats and cruisers are as big a mystery to them as submarines.

MtB

it was a serious comment. An attempt to find a reason for no-one applying for the vacancy of hand-holder.

I'm inclined to volunteer but I haven't steered a cruise for 30 years, nor am I local but as no-one else is offering, I'll travel up and take you out for a couple of hours of practise Lily May. You'll prolly have to wait a week or two though...

MtB

Aww, bless you, Mike. I really don't want anyone to go out of their way or feel pressured to help. You are miles away! I really appreciate your offer, though. It is very kind. Quite overwhelmed by the offer. Thank you! clapping.gif

Aww, bless you, Mike. I really don't want anyone to go out of their way or feel pressured to help. You are miles away! I really appreciate your offer, though. It is very kind. Quite overwhelmed by the offer. Thank you! clapping.gif

Give him a greenie! smile.png

I'm planning another boat hunting expedition this month so if I'm in the area I'll give you a call as well.

Mind you, I have handled a Nauticus 27 and to be honest I struggled to keep in in a straight line so it might be a case of the blind leading the blind...

It's worth bearing in mind that thought they are narrow beam, the Nauticus was really supposed to be a river boat and at the slightly higher speeds you travel at on rivers these vessels are a lot happier.

I'm planning another boat hunting expedition this month so if I'm in the area I'll give you a call as well.

Mind you, I have handled a Nauticus 27 and to be honest I struggled to keep in in a straight line so it might be a case of the blind leading the blind...

It's worth bearing in mind that thought they are narrow beam, the Nauticus was really supposed to be a river boat and at the slightly higher speeds you travel at on rivers these vessels are a lot happier.

Aww how lovely of you biggrin.png Thank you so much, Neil. All help with the tesco trolley very gratefully received wink.png I'm starting to feel I may actually be cruising soon which is amazing! Keep me posted on your travels & many thanks again!clapping.gif

I have been contacted by a lovely couple who have offered to guide me & my partner in our first few jaunts out on the cut. I am so thrilled! The couple in question are stars!

I would also like to thank everyone here for the warm welcome and support as a new boater that I have received from the wonderful boating community here. I have been overwhelmed by the kindness shown to me by strangers (friends that I have not met yet). This is a major reason that I planned towards a boating life for so long and made it happen. A sense of community in the truest form. Thank you all so much! I hope to meet as many of you as possible on my future travels (which will have been enabled by this community).

I would appreciate advice on how I can donate and give back to this community that has offered me so much support in my first week of joining.

Warmest wishes, sincere thanks, health & happiness to you all.

Catherine

Just stay a member and chip in with something you know about. This forum has to contain the most diverse set of people you will ever meet. Many subjects crop up on here not related to boating. You will be surprised just what else gets discussed apart from boating topics.

Like all forums there is a fair amount of banta, but on the whole its good natured and a font of all knowledge.

You might be a boating novice but you have other life experience that others might call on.

• Greenie 1

Just stay a member and chip in with something you know about. This forum has to contain the most diverse set of people you will ever meet. Many subjects crop up on here not related to boating. You will be surprised just what else gets discussed apart from boating topics.

Like all forums there is a fair amount of banta, but on the whole its good natured and a font of all knowledge.

You might be a boating novice but you have other life experience that others might call on.

What a lovely reply, Biggles. Thank you so much for your support & kind words, my friend clapping.gif

Like many of us, I do have a lot of life experience. I am a former social worker of 13 years who currently runs a mental health support group. I left social work as I hated the red tape but loved working with people. I am happy to be a listening ear, advise on the issues that life throws up, benefits & advocacy. I retrained as a qualified yoga instructor and trainer for children & adults. I am also a fashion & costume designer who has been featured in many American fashion magazines & Italian Vogue. If i can help on any of these matters I am happy to.

Warmest wishes to Biggles & all here.

Catherine

P.S I rather like the banter, Biggles. As a Scouser who retains her accent in spite of travels, I have a dry sense of humour a huge appreciation of sarcasm wink.png

What a lovely reply, Biggles. Thank you so much for your support & kind words, my friend :clapping:

Like many of us, I do have a lot of life experience. I am a former social worker of 13 years who currently runs a mental health support group. I left social work as I hated the red tape but loved working with people. I am happy to be a listening ear, advise on the issues that life throws up, benefits & advocacy. I retrained as a qualified yoga instructor and trainer for children & adults. I am also a fashion & costume designer who has been featured in many American fashion magazines & Italian Vogue. If i can help on any of these matters I am happy to.

Catherine

P.S I rather like the banter, Biggles. As a Scouser who retains her accent in spite of travels, I have a dry sense of humour a huge appreciation of sarcasm ;)

I think you will fit right in. Edited by Biggles

We had a really useful one day training course with Willow Wren Training when we first took ownership of our boat. Steve came to us and we used our own (narrow) boat. We were at Debdale at the time but I've no doubt he would come up to Sawley (they are based in Rugby). I've had a quick look at their website and it doesn't mention cruisers but it's probably worth giving them a ring. As has been said before though, the course sets you on the right path and teaches you the key dos and don'ts but you will still get yourself in the occasional pickle! Enjoy!

Just noticed your post upon looking over my thread. Thank you so much for the feedback! Much appreciated! Happy cruising!captain.gif

P.S I rather like the banter, Biggles. As a Scouser who retains her accent in spite of travels, I have a dry sense of humour a huge appreciation of sarcasm wink.png

Its a good job boats don't have hub-caps !!!!

Keep practising, take care & we'll see you cruising up and down the T&M during Summer then ?

What a lovely reply, Biggles. Thank you so much for your support & kind words, my friend clapping.gif

Catherine

In the fullness of time and when you feel more confident as a boater, you might want to talk to CRT about volunteer advocacy for boaters who are caught up in the S8 process because they can neither afford a mooring nor satisfy the CC guidelines.

Just a thought.

Its a good job boats don't have hub-caps !!!!

Keep practising, take care & we'll see you cruising up and down the T&M during Summer then ?

I walked right into this, didnt I?!laugh.png

No hub caps, but there's always outboards....tongue.png

I'll be sure to see you cruising in summer, Alan boat.gificecream.gif

Take care & happy cruising!

In the fullness of time and when you feel more confident as a boater, you might want to talk to CRT about volunteer advocacy for boaters who are caught up in the S8 process because they can neither afford a mooring nor satisfy the CC guidelines.

Just a thought.

Hi Again, Bruce. I just looked up an overview of the s8 process and it is something I would very much like to become involved in in the future as an advocate. It is very similar to advocacy work I did with vulnerable people at risk of becoming homeless in the past. What is the best source of information (web sites / books) to fully familiarise myself with the rules and regulations on continuous cruising and any associated legislation. Thanks a million for this!

Ok - youve passed the first test - 'hub-caps' so here is a little light reading to get you started for your Advocacy- the 'bible of the waterways'

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1995/1/contents/enacted

You may wish to have a wander down the cut from Sawley towards the Sawley Lock, about half way down the permanent morings (on the towpath side) you will find a Lady called Dorothy who is a waterways Chaplain and Advisor / Advocacy.

Just ask - everone knows him.

I have been contacted by a lovely couple who have offered to guide me & my partner in our first few jaunts out on the cut. I am so thrilled! The couple in question are stars!

I was vaguely hoping that once one person volunteered, another nearer would too!

Even so, I meant what I said. If it doesn't pan out let me know and I'll come up to Sawley and we'll all go out for an afternoon. Quite fancy a drive of a cruiser again!

MtB

Hi Again, Bruce. I just looked up an overview of the s8 process and it is something I would very much like to become involved in in the future as an advocate. It is very similar to advocacy work I did with vulnerable people at risk of becoming homeless in the past. What is the best source of information (web sites / books) to fully familiarise myself with the rules and regulations on continuous cruising and any associated legislation. Thanks a million for this!

Gosh, where to start?

There are a good few threads on here about the issues; try searching for "section 8" or "continuous cruising" and be prepared for some robust exchanges of opinion.

The official position is here.

A big part of the problem is that in the past CRT's predecessor BW didn't enforce the CC guidelines very effectively and a lot of boaters, especially around London, at the west end of the K&A and around Oxford have committed themselves to lifestyles that rely on being able to boat on a limited stretch of water because of work or schooling commitments.

There are nothing like enough residential moorings to accommodate them all, certainly not at prices many of them could afford. So CRT is having to negotiate special arrangements for the existing boaters whilst trying to avoid the problem from growing any further. There's an update on the progress of that project here.

Others will be along shortly to add to this I have no doubt...

Ok - youve passed the first test - 'hub-caps' so here is a little light reading to get you started for your Advocacy- the 'bible of the waterways'

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1995/1/contents/enacted

You may wish to have a wander down the cut from Sawley towards the Sawley Lock, about half way down the permanent morings (on the towpath side) you will find a Lady called Dorothy who is a waterways Chaplain and Advisor / Advocacy.

Just ask - everone knows him.

Great link, Alan, Thanks! Bookmarked for regular study.

Is A Lady Called Dorothy the boat name where I will find a male chaplain ("Just ask - everone knows him." ) or is Dorothy the name of the lady and you just made a typo...

or are you pulling my legwink.png

I was vaguely hoping that once one person volunteered, another nearer would too!

Even so, I meant what I said. If it doesn't pan out let me know and I'll come up to Sawley and we'll all go out for an afternoon. Quite fancy a drive of a cruiser again!

MtB

Your cunning plan worked, Mike!

Joking aside, your offer was very much appreciated. I'll keep you posted on progress. In any case, you are always welcome and will be well fed & watered if you visit. Sincere thanks again! clapping.gif

Gosh, where to start?

There are a good few threads on here about the issues; try searching for "section 8" or "continuous cruising" and be prepared for some robust exchanges of opinion.

The official position is here.

A big part of the problem is that in the past CRT's predecessor BW didn't enforce the CC guidelines very effectively and a lot of boaters, especially around London, at the west end of the K&A and around Oxford have committed themselves to lifestyles that rely on being able to boat on a limited stretch of water because of work or schooling commitments.

There are nothing like enough residential moorings to accommodate them all, certainly not at prices many of them could afford. So CRT is having to negotiate special arrangements for the existing boaters whilst trying to avoid the problem from growing any further. There's an update on the progress of that project here.

Others will be along shortly to add to this I have no doubt...

Hi Again Bruce smile.png

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look.

I have some awareness that CC guidelines have not been enforced consistently in the past and residential moorings can be scarce / costly / located outside of the areas where cruisers are settled. This topic is bound to cause heated debate as it effects so many aspects of peoples lives. It is good to have a working knowledge of waterways legislation and social policy in general as well as experiences of those vulnerable to enforcement.

It seems like a very unfair, heavy handed and unnecessary enforcement of law (from my little knowledge to date). Especially in view of the current economic climate and state of poor housing on dry land. In cases of potential eviction on 'dry land' social policy and legislation was often a good defense to overturn potential eviction eg. In the case of a family with children, the outcome of eviction would be costly to the mental health and well being of the children and adults and would be costly to the state in terms of short term emergency accommodation and permanent rehousing (and potential loss off employment in the case of CC'ers). This defense applies to the case of CC'ers. There is also and argument of continuous cruising being a cultural way of life and arguments could be made in favour of this point too.

Fascinating topic. Not to mention complex. Thanks for the information, Bruce!

I've sent you a PM (private message)

Got it! Thank you.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

MtB

Hey u are right I can read this quite easy :) the old grey cells working well result :)

Thank you for your lovely reply & warm welcome biggrin.png I love my little cruiser. I am aware that all are not fans of 'tupperware' as she has been called laugh.png Different strokes for different folks eh. She is a great starter boat to learn on. Have a great weekend, Phil.

I wish you well on securing your new boat, Wullie. The wait is well worth it. Enjoy! biggrin.png

Hi boatman,

I think she is fine on narrow canals at 6'10?

Hi Dog House,

I have researched and heard great things about Mercia and would try it out, except I need to be located near to good train connections as I have comittments that I need rail access to for the next year or so. Thank you so much for replying and for your helpful feedback though. Much appreciated as I will bear this mooring in mind for future use biggrin.png

Thanks, Beaker. I will bear this in mind for future mooring. I currently need to be located to a good rail network for the next year or so. Your reply is appreciated. Thank you biggrin.png

Mercia is near Willington which has a railway station