Novice seeking practical help with cruising & marina recommendations

Lily May

Featured Posts

Hi All!

I'm totally new to boating, although I have wanted to live on a boat & escape the rat race for over 10 years

I took the plunge last Summer and bought my first boat a 27 foot cruiser, which I love! It was one of the best decisions I made.

I'm a complete novice sailing / cruising wise (I don't even drive a car!) So, I'm asking what seems to be a really friendly & knowledgeable community for some advice & practical help.

I would love to take my boat out a lot in Spring / Summer but have absolutely no confidence or skills to do so. I plan to take a course in the Spring - recommendations welcome - I'm based at Sawley currently (but hope to move asap). If any locals were available go on a few short cruises in the meantime to enable me & my partner to get our bearings, we would really appreciate it and offer recompense to any willing Captains of our boat for their time & trouble :)

Also, we are currently based at Sawley Marina. We love the local wildlife, cycle paths and a few local hostelries here. But I am disappointed to report that I have never experienced such a negligent, ambivalent, rude and inadequate management team in all of my personal and professional life. The 'customer service' is apalling. The security here is lax, to say the least, with several unsavoury characters and little sense of community, which has prompted us to want to move asap.

We want to try out Nottingham Castle Marina as it is nearby and centrally located to Nottingham city centre. Does anyone have any feedback on this marina as a potential base for the winter? Ideally, I plan to moor here on a temporary basis to test it out, but any first hand experience would be invaluable and very much appreciated.

I look forward to all replies. Thank you in advance for any feedback and or willing Captains who respond :)

Warmest wishes to all:)

Welcome aboard Lily May, you have come to the right place, you will love it here. While I cannot help (I'm in the Fens) someone will be along shortly to offer all the assistance you need.

Oh and just remember this, we were all Newbies at one time. And one more thing, heed not those who pour scorn on cruisers, they're only jealous. LOL

Phil

Hi All!
I'm totally new to boating, although I have wanted to live on a boat & escape the rat race for over 10 years
I took the plunge last Summer and bought my first boat a 27 foot cruiser, which I love! It was one of the best decisions I made.
I'm a complete novice sailing / cruising wise (I don't even drive a car!) So, I'm asking what seems to be a really friendly & knowledgeable community for some advice & practical help.
I would love to take my boat out a lot in Spring / Summer but have absolutely no confidence or skills to do so. I plan to take a course in the Spring - recommendations welcome - I'm based at Sawley currently (but hope to move asap). If any locals were available go on a few short cruises in the meantime to enable me & my partner to get our bearings, we would really appreciate it and offer recompense to any willing Captains of our boat for their time & trouble smile.png
Also, we are currently based at Sawley Marina. We love the local wildlife, cycle paths and a few local hostelries here. But I am disappointed to report that I have never experienced such a negligent, ambivalent, rude and inadequate management team in all of my personal and professional life. The 'customer service' is apalling. The security here is lax, to say the least, with several unsavoury characters and little sense of community, which has prompted us to want to move asap.
We want to try out Nottingham Castle Marina as it is nearby and centrally located to Nottingham city centre. Does anyone have any feedback on this marina as a potential base for the winter? Ideally, I plan to moor here on a temporary basis to test it out, but any first hand experience would be invaluable and very much appreciated.
I look forward to all replies. Thank you in advance for any feedback and or willing Captains who respond smile.png

If you are looking at alternative marinas in the area have a look at Mercia not that far from where you are, turn left out of Sawley and keep going till you get to Willington!.

I think you will find the whole level of customer service much better. We used to moor there a few years ago and had we not wanted to have the boat nearer to home we probably would still be there.

If you are looking at alternative marinas in the area have a look at Mercia not that far from where you are, turn left out of Sawley and keep going till you get to Willington!.

I think you will find the whole level of customer service much better. We used to moor there a few years ago and had we not wanted to have the boat nearer to home we probably would still be there.

Yes, I'd thoroughly recommend Mercia, Lily May may (sic) smile.png think it's too far from Nottingham though.

ETA As b0atman said, it also depends on the width of the boat.

Edited by Beaker

Yes, I'd thoroughly recommend Mercia, Lily May may (sic) smile.png think it's too far from Nottingham though.

The T&M is 'wide' up to Dallow Lane Lock at Burton on Trent though.

So (subject to cabin shape and any wheelhouse config.) a 'wide' boat would be fine, certainly as far as Willington and probably even further.

Hi All!

I would love to take my boat out a lot in Spring / Summer but have absolutely no confidence or skills to do so. I plan to take a course in the Spring - recommendations welcome - I'm based at Sawley currently (but hope to move asap). If any locals were available go on a few short cruises in the meantime to enable me & my partner to get our bearings, we would really appreciate it and offer recompense to any willing Captains of our boat for their time & trouble :)

I look forward to all replies. Thank you in advance for any feedback and or willing Captains who respond :)

We used to moor at Sawley and I agree that Customer Setvice leaves a lot tk be desired despite alk the paperwork BWML produce saying otherwise. YHA 5 star? I think not.

However the lads at Sawley are great. Dean abd Richard could not be mire heloful if they tried.

We nearly moved to Mercia. But getting a job as a seasonal lock keeper we moved tk Newark.

I'd recommend Mercia too - - we spent many happy months there - and experienced the most professional, helpful, pro-active and courteous management - (and not that far from Sawley either!)

Absolutely agree about Mercia, but they have a waiting list for GRP boats atm (they keep the plastic and steel on separate pontoons).

The T&M is 'wide' up to Dallow Lane Lock at Burton on Trent though.

So (subject to cabin shape and any wheelhouse config.) a 'wide' boat would be fine, certainly as far as Willington and probably even further.

D'OH! Of course you're right, I can be a bloody muppet sometimes! cloud9.gif

We used to moor at Sawley and I agree that Customer Setvice leaves a lot tk be desired despite alk the paperwork BWML produce saying otherwise. YHA 5 star? I think not.

However the lads at Sawley are great. Dean abd Richard could not be mire heloful if they tried.

We nearly moved to Mercia. But getting a job as a seasonal lock keeper we moved tk Newark.

You lost the job as a temp typist, then?

• Greenie 2

Touch screen on ipod, big fingers, no glasses. All conspire ti wreck my normally good speaking spelling.

I did guess that the reason was technological, yes! These blasted electronic devices have a nimd og their iwn.

Whoops.

I did guess that the reason was technological, yes! These blasted electronic devices have a nimd og their iwn.

Whoops.

Interestingly, there is a school of thought that sYs thaf even with up to 50% if the letters missjng or jncorrect we cab still u derstynd most sentincos

Interestingly, there is a school of thought that sYs thaf even with up to 50% if the letters missjng or jncorrect we cab still u derstynd most sentincos

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

MtB

• Greenie 1

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

MtB

That certainly wirks dor me. No problem reading and as quick as if it was spalled corrictly

MtB

Wlel, arghlit, but deos taht wrok for any stcnneee?

Hi All!
I would love to take my boat out a lot in Spring / Summer but have absolutely no confidence or skills to do so. I plan to take a course in the Spring - recommendations welcome - I'm based at Sawley currently (but hope to move asap). If any locals were available go on a few short cruises in the meantime to enable me & my partner to get our bearings, we would really appreciate it and offer recompense to any willing Captains of our boat for their time & trouble smile.png
I look forward to all replies. Thank you in advance for any feedback and or willing Captains who respond smile.png

Hello Lily May - I'm not attempting to defend Sawley if you have been on the receiving end of poor service, but I've been there a few times and don't really relate to the comments you make.

Firstly, you have to bear in mind that Sawley is, I think, the largest inland marina in the country so you can't expect the sort of cozy community you might get at a much smaller marina.

But, by your own admission you are new to this game, and have little boating experience, so keep in mind that this is a very different world from that which you might be used to on "dry land". What you describe may well be the culture shock of the more "relaxed" approach you tend to get at many boatyards/marinas.

If, as you say, you want to escape the "rat race" I'm afraid you are not going to get ruthless efficiency and razor sharp customer service, - life is much more hit and miss on the cut and thank goodness, that's one of the reasons many of us choose to escape to the canals.

As regards Castle Marina, if you want security they certainly seem to have that from what I can remember, but you always have to consider why the marinas that have entry systems and security fences feel the need for them. It wouldn't be my choice but you do have the advantage of being close to the city and its facilities if that is of prime importance.

Can you tell us what sort of cruiser you have?

Welcome aboard Lily May, you have come to the right place, you will love it here. While I cannot help (I'm in the Fens) someone will be along shortly to offer all the assistance you need.

Oh and just remember this, we were all Newbies at one time. And one more thing, heed not those who pour scorn on cruisers, they're only jealous. LOL

Phil

Thank you for your lovely reply & warm welcome biggrin.png I love my little cruiser. I am aware that all are not fans of 'tupperware' as she has been called laugh.png Different strokes for different folks eh. She is a great starter boat to learn on. Have a great weekend, Phil.

Yes i am jealous, still waiting to get my boat waited 20 years not long to go now.

I wish you well on securing your new boat, Wullie. The wait is well worth it. Enjoy! biggrin.png

What is width of your boat can it do the narrow canals ?

Hi boatman,

I think she is fine on narrow canals at 6'10?

Hi Dog House,

I have researched and heard great things about Mercia and would try it out, except I need to be located near to good train connections as I have comittments that I need rail access to for the next year or so. Thank you so much for replying and for your helpful feedback though. Much appreciated as I will bear this mooring in mind for future use biggrin.png

Thanks, Beaker. I will bear this in mind for future mooring. I currently need to be located to a good rail network for the next year or so. Your reply is appreciated. Thank you biggrin.png

Than

ks, Beaker. I will bear this in mind for future mooring. I currently need to be located to a good rail network for the next year or so. Your reply is appreciated. Thank you biggrin.png

Willington has a station.

Edited by Beaker

Hi Jelunga,

I know that we are not alone in our experience. The chandlery staff are very friendly and helpful. Congratulations on securing a job as a lock keeper! It must fit in perfectly with your boating lifestyle biggrin.png

Absolutely agree about Mercia, but they have a waiting list for GRP boats atm (they keep the plastic and steel on separate pontoons).

Thanks for the update on the waiting list, BruceinSanity. Very helpful biggrin.png