Diesel Delivery Options

Pilly

Featured Posts

Apart from the various fuel boats mentioned, as a newcomer to the boating world could anyone advise on what diesel delivery options are available?

I'm keen to know what the normal mode of delivery (or perhaps collection) is and an indication of price.

We'll be bringing the boat back to Debdale from Dudley at the end of feb (if the fitting out is completed) so we'll need some diesel.

You just pull into any boatyard or marina that sells diesel, and fill up from the pump there. It's just like pulling into a petrol station in a car, except that most boatyards are not self-service.

On the way from Dudley to Debdale you'll pass plenty. On the other hand, if you have a full tank when you set off, that should easily take you all the way to Debdale without having to buy any more.

Edited by Keeping Up

Unless you want to lug red diesel around in Jerry cans (or similar), you basically have two options.

1) Canal-side or marina businesses, selling it from pumps on their wharfs.

2) Fuel boats, selling it from pumps on their boats.

It's fairly easy to find out where the canal-side stockists are, but guaranteeing you'll find a fuel boat when and where you need one takes a bit more research.

One thing to bear in mind if you are talking about places like Dudley is that opportunities are far less.

There are not in my experience that many canal-side sellers of diesel on the BCN, and few, if any fuel boats, and those canal-side ones that do exists can be expensive. It may be cheaper to only buy immediate needs at first, and look for cheaper options later.

Fuel can be purchased from passing fuel boats or from many of the boatyards along the canals.

It is doubtful that you would find a fuel supplier to deliver directly by road unless you required a substantial quantity and there are many regulations with regard to suitable sites.

Apart from the various fuel boats mentioned, as a newcomer to the boating world could anyone advise on what diesel delivery options are available?

I'm keen to know what the normal mode of delivery (or perhaps collection) is and an indication of price.

We'll be bringing the boat back to Debdale from Dudley at the end of feb (if the fitting out is completed) so we'll need some diesel.

Buying diesel from fuel boats, marinas or hire bases is the norm. Prices are variable.

Thanks All, that's good news.

I wondered if it was common, or even permitted, for fuel oil suppliers to fill the tank from a bridge/marina/lock or other locations

I also wondered what the possibilities are for buying from a petrol station in drums

Edited by Pilly

You pay a different rate of tax on diesel used for propulsion and heating the water / charging the batteries (called Domestic) - when buying fuel you will normally be asked to sign a book giving your registration number, number of litres purchased and the 'split' of usage for tax purposes.

The argument is that you get your batteries charged and your water heated for 'free' when the engine is running and you are moving (propulsion)

The 'accepted' figure is 60/40 and I'd suggest at this stage just accept that until you get 'home' and can work out exactly what your usage is.

Example - If you are going to be a liveaboard and not cruise then your usage would be 100% 'domestic'

You pay a different rate of tax on diesel used for propulsion and heating the water / charging the batteries (called Domestic) - when buying fuel you will normally be asked to sign a book giving your registration number, number of litres purchased and the 'split' of usage for tax purposes.

The argument is that you get your batteries charged and your water heated for 'free' when the engine is running and you are moving (propulsion)

The 'accepted' figure is 60/40 and I'd suggest at this stage just accept that until you get 'home' and can work out exactly what your usage is.

Example - If you are going to be a liveaboard and not cruise then your usage would be 100% 'domestic'

Thanks Alan E

Is the 60/40 split on Propulsion/Domestic or vice versa?

I guess the domestic tax is 5% (as in domestic home heating)

Some extra points:-

Fuel distributors are bound by a lot of extra regulations which are not obvious to the (occasional) buyer.

They can:-

• Deliver to an external storage tank provided that they believe it's for domestic heating or more unlikely for an approved use such as electric generation (they will be sceptical about this)
  • They cannot "legally" deliver to a boat unless they have an additional licence approval from HMRC for that specific purpose. Not surprisingly few have bothered to register (mor paperwork)
  • They can deliver MGO in drums without asking too many questions - but it's very expensive

I occasionally moor up near a car 'petrol station', wheel in a couple of 20l cans on a trolley and fill them up with white diesel. Yes, it costs a bit more (100% road tax) but sometimes I have no alternative.

As I understand it, white 'road' diesel contains more vegetable oil than red and so is more susceptible to diesel bug infestation. So I always dose white diesel even more liberally with Marine-16 than I do with red.

Edited by WJM

Is the 60/40 split on Propulsion/Domestic or vice versa?

Yes, it's that way round. A few boatyards impose that split (i.e. you pay 60/40 or you don't get any) but most will be more flexible

They can deliver MGO in drums without asking too many questions - but it's very expensive

Or you could get yourself some drums and take them to a fuel oil supplier to get them filled, but there are some caveats here, one being handling full fuel drums and another being the legal implications of transporting that amount of fuel, even if it is for your own use.

I'd say that the best idea is to find a boatyard or wait for a fuel boat to come past.

Thanks All, that's good news.

I wondered if it was common, or even permitted, for fuel oil suppliers to fill the tank from a bridge/marina/lock or other locations

I also wondered what the possibilities are for buying from a petrol station in drums

I know that in the past at least one fuel boat used to arrange to be under a quiet canal bridge, and have a red diesel wagon park overhead, and deliver a tankful for him like that.

Aah! Excellent cool.png

Sometimes this forum really does impress

That's everything I need to know in less than five minutes

Thanks Guys

If you are thinking of ordering 500L direct to the boat make sure your receiving tank can accept a 2" nozzle working at full bore.

If the driver turns up and you show him a standard boat filler he will either curse you to high heaven and fill you, but you will never be accepted by that company again.

OR, he will just laugh and drive off!

In the past, boaters have tried clubbing together to make up a load, but fuel suppliers are wise to that and ask questions. I even had one company refuse to serve Alton because it was a narrowboat. Telling them I had 5500L capacity and 6" fillers made no difference. Their loss!

George ex nb Alton retired

I know that in the past at least one fuel boat used to arrange to be under a quiet canal bridge, and have a red diesel wagon park overhead, and deliver a tankful for him like that.

Shhh! CRT monitor this forum you know:-)

George ex nb Alton retired