Cheap coal

Dave_P

Featured Posts

House coal is horrible stuff - it smells foul when burning, gives off loads of gunky smoke that leaves tar in your flue and chimney - - and if you have any neighbours - they will not thank you

(and it often burns cooler than smokeless too)

I wouldn't use it if it was free

Seconded, I bought a couple of bags from there, decided it was absolute rubbish. It stank inside the boat, poisoned the neighbours with the fumes massively anti-social to everyone around. You could get a bag and burn it when fishermen come and set up camp near where you're mooredsmile.png

K

B&M bargains currently have 10kg bags of house coal for £2.99. I normally go for smokeless but this seems too good to miss. Am I right?

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/british-house-coal-10kg-265851

We sell our 25kg bags of doubles for £7.30 all winter long, so i would say its not too good to miss.

I,m guessing it could be burnt efficiently, in a specially designed stove, probably need preheated secondary air to really ignite all the bitchumen in it, and possibly a blower fan.

A project for the future ?

Drax used to grind all their coals into dust, and blow it into the combustion chambers - - though I suspect their kit's too big for a narrowboat

Drax used to grind all their coals into dust, and blow it into the combustion chambers - - though I suspect their kit's too big for a narrowboat

Coal dust in air is an explosive mixture.

Hence the use of stone dust (crushed limestone, IIRC, Dolomite?) on the floor and stone dust barriers underground. Historically most gas explosions were propagated through a mine as coal dust explosions.

Avoid house coal.

I burnt a few bags of the large lumps and there wasn't much smoke out the chimney once the coal had ignited and burning well with the secondary air supply open but did soot up the chimney far more than any other coal. At £9 for 25kg bag not much cheaper than Taybright at £9.50 for 25kg.

Have to say I like taybright as very good heat and the chimney needs sweeping far less.

I liked the anthracite but found even burning slowly, too much heat generated, more suited to freezing weather where you want a good heat output!

Jamescheers.gif

Coal dust in air is an explosive mixture.

It also stings your eyes like there is no tomorrow! All the power stations do the same.

House coal is good for the right thing, and we burn it on the fire at home, and on the squirrel from time to time, but it does smoke more than smokeless, anyone who is surprised by that wants shooting!

Love the fact the add reads 'House Coal, £2.99, was £4.49, HOT BARGAIN' I hope is is hot!!

Daniel

At £9 for 25kg bag not much cheaper than Taybright at £9.50 for 25kg.

Have to say I like taybright as very good heat and the chimney needs sweeping far less.

I like Taybrite too but it's £12.75 at Willowbridge. Where are you getting it for £9.50 please? :)

I like Taybrite too but it's £12.75 at Willowbridge. Where are you getting it for £9.50 please? smile.png

Hi,

I collect from this place. http://www.pdrichardson.co.uk/ Last visit bought 2 bags of wildfire and 1 bag of taybright for £27.50. The taybright from memory is cheaper than wildfire all less than £10 per 25kg bag.

Jamescheers.gif