Changing a Boat's Name.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

I'd always planned to rename any boat we bought 'Ella Guru', after the Captain Beefheart song. Well, we finally found a nice, inexpensive boat that was already on a convenient local mooring, handed over the money, and set off proudly on our first cruise. We must have travelled all of 50 metres before spying, stuck inside the window of a fellow moorer about three boats down from us, a printed A4 sheet with the words 'Ella Guru' printed on it. An online check suggested that it's the only boat on the system with that name. Grr! Stole our thunder.

Choosing a boat name personalises it. One boater told me its one of the most important decisions you make and not to be made lightly and he's right. Many names churned in my brain before I settled on My Time.

As to being bad luck to change a name that depends on own belief.

I like place names as boat names, in the manner of the Big Woolwiches and Northwiches. I think they sounds very dignified and classic. Barwell, Selwyn, Chesterton would be on my list.

Edited by Black Ibis

I like place names as boat names, in the manner of the Big Woolwiches and Northwiches. I think they sounds very dignified and classic. Barwell, Selwyn, Chesterton would be on my list.

We were chuffed when we met 'Whitby' on the T&M once. Not only because it's a fine looking boat but because the town of Whitby is just up the road from us and miles away from any part of the connected inland waterways.

Not a particularly 'dignified and classic' name but it resonated with me.

it's fine as long as the new boat name is made up from the same collection of letters used for the old.

eg. Lovenest could be renamed, SloeVent

simples.

Slightly smiley_offtopic.gif , but............................

Race Horses have to have their name registered with the British Horseracing Authority, and once given, a name can never be changed.

A name must be no more than 18 characters, including spaces. All names are vetted ( excuse the pun ), to prevent mischievous owners from creating names which may sound rude, or cause offence when pronounced at speed during a race commentary.

However, occasionally a name does slip through and is registered.

Julie Cecil (ex wife of the late Sir Henry) managed to name one Mary Hinge.

Another, in different ownership was called Wear The Fox Hat. (try saying it quickly).

My fave boat name is on a narrowboat called ILLUSTRIOUS.

It's a terribly down-at-heel narrowboat that CCs around Braunston way. I'm sure the owners revel in the sheer inappropriateness of the name!

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Puts me in mind of the "Surrealist's Alphabet", except they have 'B for mutton'...

http://monologues.co.uk/Sketches/Surrealist_Alphabet.htm

Similarly there is the Cockney Alphabet:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/05/21/the-cockney-alphabet/

MtB

(Edit spelling.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

• 2 weeks later...

Do it when she is out of the water not superstitious but all sailors are true?

I have canoed a fair amount, raced sailing dinghy's for 12 odd years, spent many happy hours offshore sailing plus some unhappy ones, narrow boated for many a year. Sorry but I am not in the least superstitious.

But I do like tradition.

Edited by Ray T