Changing a Boat's Name.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Yes.

Unless you observe whichever superstitious boat-name-changing ritual* that fits in with your prejudices.

smile.png

MtB

* I once changed a boat name. Did it with the boat out of the water, and put up a plaque inside the boat acknowledging the previous shite name. Nothing bad happened afterwards so I know it works.

This is only half a test, and anyway it mistakes correlation for causation (or rather, non-causation).

You don't know whether or not it works without doing the superstitious bit. I suggest that it would have done.

To the OP: change the boat's name to whatever you fancy. Just let CaRT know.

Enough idle speculation. The results are in.

I just tested this scientifically by making two paper boats, naming them 'Bill' and 'Ben', and floating them in my bathtub.

Then I changed Ben's name to 'Wet Dream'.

Within seconds, the air was filled with a terrible howling, as of a thousand lost souls crying out in torment. Thunder boomed as a swirling black cloud descended on Wet Dream's half of the tub. For a few moments, the hapless vessel was lost from sight. Then an unearthly glow began to emanate from the bottom of the tub, bathing the scene in eerie, blood-red light. The last thing I saw before naked terror robbed me of my senses was an inhuman, clawed hand reaching from the depths to drag Wet Dream down to who knows what pit of unimaginable horrors.

When I awoke, all was calm - and there was Bill, alone, drifting serenely across the surface of the water...

Hope that helps.

Edited by magictime

Thank you for the scientific approach Magictime. Seems most logical to me clapping.gif

Changing a ships/boat name is done all the time in the commercial world without any dramas at all. The only headache is making sure all the paperwork is sorted out with the new details of the vessel. THAT is what can cause problems! When all done worth celebrating with a drink or two! boat.gif

This is only half a test, and anyway it mistakes correlation for causation (or rather, non-causation).

You don't know whether or not it works without doing the superstitious bit. I suggest that it would have done.

I think MtB was being less than serious. But perhaps you were as well.

I've heard it is bad luck to change a boat's name, although I am not superstitious myself.

If you saw the perfect boat, except that it was called "Brian and Brenda" or "Killer Canal Rapist" or somesuch, would that deter you from buying it?

Is there any genuine bad luck to be had from changing a boat's name?

Why are you asking this, after you started with saying : "I 'm not superstitious" , do you want to become superstitious now anyway ?

Peter.

Why are you asking this, after you started with saying : "I 'm not superstitious" , do you want to become superstitious now anyway ?

Peter.

No, I'm just asking if other folk have a different opinion to mine, since I have read before on here that people would not buy a boat called "wet dreams" or somesuch, even if it was perfect in every other way, and so I wondered what the problem would be in simply naming it something else of your choosing.

No, I'm just asking if other folk have a different opinion to mine, since I have read before on here that people would not buy a boat called "wet dreams" or somesuch, even if it was perfect in every other way, and so I wondered what the problem would be in simply naming it something else of your choosing.

I've owned many barges and boats, and apart from 2 of them, I've always renamed them without any problems (apart from financial) I'm not superstitious and I want names that I like and have chosen myself.

Peter.

Good afternoon all,

Betty Boo and I have just bought a boat and were discussing what to name it. It's now known as "Betty's Blessing" but my choice was the good ship "F*** Off and Die!" , affectionately known as the "FOAD". I also wanted a a welcome mat at the entrance with the legend "F*** Off!" on it. Betty vetoed that too. Wives have no sense of humour and give grumpy old sods like me a hard time.

DaveGood

Good afternoon all,

Betty Boo and I have just bought a boat and were discussing what to name it. It's now known as "Betty's Blessing" but my choice was the good ship "F*** Off and Die!" , affectionately known as the "FOAD". I also wanted a a welcome mat at the entrance with the legend "F*** Off!" on it. Betty vetoed that too. Wives have no sense of humour and give grumpy old sods like me a hard time.

DaveGood

smiley_offtopic.gif

Did you know by the way the boat you bought is still listed as for sale on Apollo Duck.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=148397

smiley_offtopic.gif

Did you know by the way the boat you bought is still listed as for sale on Apollo Duck.

I like the ad, it says 10' x 10'10", so wider than long, a silly writing error, but the photos are all looking good, and her new name "Betty's Blessing" sounds much better than the names Dave had in mind.

Peter.

it's fine as long as the new boat name is made up from the same collection of letters used for the old.

eg. Lovenest could be renamed, SloeVent

simples.

"Even Lost"smile.png

We bought a boat from person that later got charged and imprisoned and we changed the boat's name when we found out.

What was he imprisoned for, Boat theft?clapping.gif

smiley_offtopic.gif

Yeah, I did notice that DH

Not too concerned though, I have the signed bill of sale safely tucked away :)

and regardless of Dave's post - it was actually him that came up with Bettie's Blessing - the name is in tribute to his Mum, who was know by her siblings as Betty & as a result of her passing and the ensuing inheritance which enabled us to fulfill our dream much earlier than originally planned. We both like to think that she would be pleased with our decision.

Yeah, I did notice that DH

Not too concerned though, I have the signed bill of sale safely tucked away smile.png

and regardless of Dave's post - it was actually him that came up with Bettie's Blessing - the name is in tribute to his Mum, who was know by her siblings as Betty & as a result of her passing and the ensuing inheritance which enabled us to fulfill our dream much earlier than originally planned. We both like to think that she would be pleased with our decision.

DOAH - didn't realize I was logged in as Dave!!! I actually posted the above quote biggrin.png

On a serious note...dont do what I did. Chose a name I couldnt pay to have painted on...and doesnt fit. Are We There Yet.....changed to Getting There Slowly. Is the name painted on my boat. No. There's no space. DOH!