Timothy West/Prunella Scales - Channel 4

deckhand

Featured Posts

For the first time ever I was moved to call the 'if there have been any issues that have affected you in tonight's programme' helpline. They weren't too receptive when I told them the standard of Tim's steering had given me a funny turn smile.png

• Greenie 1

I watched it for the first time just and thought it was quite a touching and well made programme. I liked the scenery. One day I'll go myself.

What is the colour green name on the boat as I will eventually repaint my black and red boat green and cream with a colour band framing. Thought it looked very nice.

Jamescheers.gif

He is hitting everything in sight tonight!

Maybe the collisions were deliberately set up?

Most recent TV programs about the canals seem to include several collisions and much laughter after the event. Is it something the producers think the viewing public expect?

The boat looked remarkably unscathed when it arrived in Llangollen.

how I so wish we could have a series about true boating, different canals, different locks and how they work, what its like cruising through cities (and mooring there) , emptying toilets, all the real stuff. its not all green scenery and laughing at bumping off other boats (cant believe that guy just waved ).

I like the extended rigid fender at the back to stop the hire boat from getting caught on the cill - bet Alvechurch wish they had those fitted.

Black Prince do and they also have the rubber inserts in the stem posts. However, those stern fenders wouldn't stop grounding on many top cills.

I like the extended rigid fender at the back to stop the hire boat from getting caught on the cill - bet Alvechurch wish they had those fitted.

They protect the rudder to some extent from the steerer reversing into things, but are nothing like long enough to keep you off the average cill, even in typical narrow locks.

If protection against "cilling" could be so easily provided, I think most hire boat companies would fit them.

its not all green scenery and laughing at bumping off other boats (cant believe that guy just waved ).

Wasn't the other boat also a hire boat?

I'm not sure they would have been overly-concerned.

I'm not intending to defend Tim West, and have never been up the Llangollen, but isn't part of the issue that at many places it is narrow enough that passing cleanly can be a challenge, even if it is not a windy day like was shown in the program.

To some extent, if you are going one way, and the boat coming the other has got themselves into enough of a muddle that you are not going to have room to avoid them, shouldn't you be holding back until they have sorted themselves out?

Yes, he was clearly responsible for the impact, but the other boat didn't have to press on, and assume he was going to be able to get out of the way, did they? (Or so it looked to me).

Edited by alan_fincher

Did anyone else notice the pictures showing the 'cilled' boat wasn't actually cilled?

I'm sure I saw it on here a good while ago where a boat was coming out the top lock but water level wasn't high enough and it was grounded and the lock still emptied tipping the boat back into the lock. I can't remember the post but it was a while ago.

Joe

Did anyone else notice the pictures showing the 'cilled' boat wasn't actually cilled?

I'm sure I saw it on here a good while ago where a boat was coming out the top lock but water level wasn't high enough and it was grounded and the lock still emptied tipping the boat back into the lock. I can't remember the post but it was a while ago.

Joe

Yes I noticed that as well, It was on here a while ago. It was caused with low water on the exit and a leaking bottom gate. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61452&hl=

Just watched it on 4OD.

Another very enjoyable episode.

"Lots of canal anoraks are also steam train anoraks...."

How true is that!

Absolutely!

reminds me of a conversation I had with Mrs. Athy once.

Me: Liking steam trains, blues music and real ale is a definite syndrome.

Mrs. A: Is there a cure?

Just watched it on 4OD.

Another very enjoyable episode.

"Lots of canal anoraks are also steam train anoraks...."

How true is that!

Interesting, I just looked on 4oD and I only see the first 2 episodes, do you have a link?

Interesting, I just looked on 4oD and I only see the first 2 episodes, do you have a link?

I had the same issue last week when I tried to watch Mondays episode on Tuesday on 4od on my PC.

I have since downloaded the 4od app. for my iPad and when I went on the app. this morning all three episodes where available, so it appears as if it may be that for some reason they make it available to the app. sooner.

I haven't looked for it on my PC this morning.

It's a TV programme - for heavens sake!!!!!

Supposed to be entertainment for the Great Unwashed - in this case for folks who have never been boating......

Tim and Pru are actors, and even if they felt they were not acting - they know how to take direction.

To my mind most of the incidents look very contrived, so I'm suspecting that's what the 'director' wanted.

Regardless of that has anyone tried to navigate a boat while being on camera in a professional production??

They protect the rudder to some extent from the steerer reversing into things, but are nothing like long enough to keep you off the average cill, even in typical narrow locks.

If protection against "cilling" could be so easily provided, I think most hire boat companies would fit them.

I agree that the extended rear fender placed on some hire boats is probably there to protect the gate/rudder, but I was once told by Ron Withey that the traditional rope stern fenders were actually there to prevent the rudder becoming jammed in the gates as they closed (often with a bang in his days!) which is why some working boats have several to build up the length over the rudder. Of course Ron is famous for his "recollectiions" so he may have been winding me up.

Wasn't the other boat also a hire boat?

I'm not sure they would have been overly-concerned.

I'm not intending to defend Tim West, and have never been up the Llangollen, but isn't part of the issue that at many places it is narrow enough that passing cleanly can be a challenge, even if it is not a windy day like was shown in the program.

To some extent, if you are going one way, and the boat coming the other has got themselves into enough of a muddle that you are not going to have room to avoid them, shouldn't you be holding back until they have sorted themselves out?

Yes, he was clearly responsible for the impact, but the other boat didn't have to press on, and assume he was going to be able to get out of the way, did they? (Or so it looked to me).

That collision wasn't on the really narrow stretches near the end. The thing that bothered me is the Tim went on about all his years of experience but when he was about to hit that boat, he seemingly did nothing to prevent it. Surely he should have engaged reverse at least? Pru kept calling to warn him. This sort of thing simply feeds into the idea that it's completely ok to force your way along the cut, ramming everything in sight. Very unhelpful to new boaters and hirers. Tim and Pru are grown adults and surely would not agree to a director's wishes if asked to deliberately hit another boat.

From my years in factual TV I struggle to remember an instance of a presenter doing what the directors asked them anyway!!!