Solar Panels - what's the best?

Nb Smudger

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well. Not been on here for a while. Joined last Sept when I had some good info about polish.

I have a 2008 JD nb, self build completed in Jun 09 with Beta 28 eng. Bought Aug last year. Trying to

do as many jobs as possible over the Winter months and also plan for the Spring (if we get any!!) I have three

domestic & 1 starter batts and I am thinking of fitting some solar panels. No idea which route to go down on this

one. A couple of people have mentioned Sunshine Solar on the website & also probably better to purchase panels

that work even when it's cloudy. (Think there are a few cheaper ones that work when its sunny only). Presume most

of these units have auto cut off when the batteries are charged? Also with the Beta 28 engine, I only have rev counter

& indicator lights (basic display panel). Is it easy to wire in voltmeter / ampmeter so I can monitor battery levels. Where is best to purchase these dials?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Nb Smudger.

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well. Not been on here for a while. Joined last Sept when I had some good info about polish.

I have a 2008 JD nb, self build completed in Jun 09 with Beta 28 eng. Bought Aug last year. Trying to

do as many jobs as possible over the Winter months and also plan for the Spring (if we get any!!) I have three

domestic & 1 starter batts and I am thinking of fitting some solar panels. No idea which route to go down on this

one. A couple of people have mentioned Sunshine Solar on the website & also probably better to purchase panels

that work even when it's cloudy. (Think there are a few cheaper ones that work when its sunny only). Presume most

of these units have auto cut off when the batteries are charged? Also with the Beta 28 engine, I only have rev counter

& indicator lights (basic display panel). Is it easy to wire in voltmeter / ampmeter so I can monitor battery levels. Where is best to purchase these dials?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Nb Smudger.

Bimble Solar have lots of info and probably the cheapest panels around excepting the occasional e-bay bargain.

Bimble actually have an offer on the polycrystalline type panel (Better in cloudy weather) just 38p per watt, they are used about 2yo but that's still a very good price.

To prevent overcharging you'll need a charge controller. MPPT controllers are best. Bimble sell these too. You can buy kits as well ready to fit.

http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/yingli220W

My first thought is a NASA BM1 or BM2, which is a battery monitor, and will also show volts and Amps, ( or something similar), rather than the simple dials you usually see on an engine panel.

There are some 200W solar panels on eBay for a bit over £100. A couple of these with a good controller would be a good start.

Watch out for delivery charges on Bimble, have seen £20 cited on their website. Read the other threads currently running. The difference between poly and mono is not huge what does make a big difference is the charge controller MPPT is the one to go for.

As far as battery monitors are concerned you want something that will give you volts and amps in and out plus an indication of % lef in your bank.

Monitors to look at are Smartgauge, NASA,Merlin Powegauge, some are shunt based others not, you have choices.

Phil

Oh great bargains to be had on Ebay just make sure you buy from a UK based company, all mine made in China but bought from UK supplier.

Smartgauge is the simplest monitor to fit, a fused connection circuit to both battery banks, job done.

Doesn't give lots of stuff about amp hours in and out, does tell you pretty accurately the %age charge in the domestics and the voltage on both banks.

Connected to a Smartbank Advanced and relay, it will also control the charging of both banks from a single alternator better than a charge splitting diode, if that is relevant to you.

Tracer MPPT solar controllers seem well thought of on here and available for good prices at Bimble and elsewhere.

You are correct that some panel types work better in cloudy/shady conditions. They probably also give a little less power in full sun though. You take your choice!

A search on the forums should turn up lots of threads on related topics that will give you more details.

• 1 month later...