The conundrum of shiny boats

Ray T

Featured Posts

We have a shiny boat, spray painted in 2-pack to a high standard. It is now approaching 3 yrs old and so far we have managed to avoid scraping the cabin sides on trees etc. We do this not by hogging the centre channel and dispatching lesser boats into the shrubbery (as would be our right as Hudson owners)

ooohhhhh get you nick.....arent hudson boats as common as springers were in the 70's and 80's??? youll be saying next youve got a bmc clapping.gifclapping.gif

One of the reasons it's easier to keep our ex working boat looking shiny (besides Dave Moore's immaculate paint job) is that it's not painted below the gunwales. Traditionally and for practical reasons working boats only painted their cabins and cants. Many modern boats (our previous boat included) have paint not blacking in the area below the gunwales most likely to get scratches! seems like asking for trouble.

Scratches below the gunwales is just the way it is. Modern boats are a different breed to the older class boats and paint below the gunwales sometimes helps with the proportions. My cabin sides are shallow and painting below the gunwales looks better than had it been blacked there. I don't particularly like blacking for long, it becomes dull and constant overcoating of scrapes doesn't make it look attractive, if attractive is what you want. Paint does have its own appeal.

From a painters perspective, all I wanted to do was make the best of the boat's shape.

From Mr Shead:

THULE Built by D.MOORE BTBLDERS LTD - Length 17.526 metres (57 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 2.083 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 35 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 500491 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 22-May-2013.

ULTIMA Built by D.MOORE BTBLDERS LTD - Length 17.526 metres (57 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 2.083 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.762 metres (2 feet 6 inches ) Metal hull, power of 18 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 51205 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 22-May-2013.

The information on engines doesn't seem quite right some how?

I know not the origin of the names but Sweden was moored in front of them at the time I took the photo.

Ultima Thule is Latin. It means the furthest, or ultimate, destination - originally, I think, the furthest North you could go in Britain, so maybe Thurso or thereabouts. I guess it was coined by one of the Roman colonists of Britain.

(That said, I am not sure that the Romans managed to get as far North as Thurso. It would have got on their wick if they failed to do so.)

Ultima Thule is Latin. It means the furthest, or ultimate, destination - originally, I think, the furthest North you could go in Britain, so maybe Thurso or thereabouts. I guess it was coined by one of the Roman colonists of Britain.

(That said, I am not sure that the Romans managed to get as far North as Thurso. It would have got on their wick if they failed to do so.)

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Hadrian build a wall to keep the Scotts and Picts in? I don't think the Romans got that far, the Vikings did though.

I am wrong The Romans did get to the North of Scotland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_conquest_of_Britain

Were their boats shiny?

My Mum came from Wick and as a lad I spent many a happy an hour there on holidays.

We went back a couple of years ago to place my Mum's ashes in the family grave.

Edited by Ray T

Has anyone else seen the black boat that is blacked up to the gunnels but has its rubbing strakes painted gold?

Yes, really.

No, I don't know why.

Yes, they were scratched to buggery.

Yes, they do cruise with their fenders down.

Edited by Starcoaster

that all depends on your bmc (boat man cabin) now doesnt it??? clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

bmc? I've got a bedroom at the back

Why would I need a bmc, I've got one of those ultra modern boats that have a bathroom, galley and dossing area at the front of the boat. I find living in that space a lot more agreeable wink.png

bmc? I've got a bedroom at the back

Why would I need a bmc, I've got one of those ultra modern boats that have a bathroom, galley and dossing area at the front of the boat. I find living in that space a lot more agreeable wink.png

I certainly wouldnt want a bmc due to the raised floor / reduced headroom. It may be OK if you are descended from a hobbit and your mother neglected to feed you when you were a child, but for normal folk of 6'4" they are a non-starter.

I certainly wouldnt want a bmc due to the raised floor / reduced headroom. It may be OK if you are descended from a hobbit and your mother neglected to feed you when you were a child, but for normal folk of 6'4" they are a non-starter.

Nick, I am, as you know, a foot shorter than you.

When I was at Hebden Bridge a few years ago I was in an outdoor shop buying a fleece, the assistant serving me was a similar height.

A tall and large man came in and said to the other assistant "Have you these jackets in XXL"?

The assistant replied "I'm sorry sir, they are not made that big".

The man grumbled and stumped out of the shop.

I said to the assistant serving me "Perhaps there is benifits in being our size".

Her reply? 'My Dad always said "They don't make diamonds as big as bricks" '. tongue.png

Edited by Ray T