Dispute at Pillings

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

Every broker I've ever bought a boat from.

I have no intention of naming businesses as I believe every transaction is a private negotiation and I wouldn't want anyone using my experience as leverage.

I would recommend just applying your own negotiating skills, the worst they can do is say no.

PM would suffice, it would be good to know where such leverage could be applied because I have always understood it is a very clear requirement that a deposit forms part of the pre-sales agreement, at least it was with the broker whom we bought through and with others with whom we viewed boats through. I never encountered one where avoiding doing so was the remotest possibility.

I promise not to say 'Aww come on you did it for CarlT on Canalworld' :)

Agree completely regarding there being no legal requirement to inform the leaseholders how the money is spent, but they thought they were investing their hard-earned money to facilitate the development of the marina not fund the directors lifestyle.

Seriously?

As hard as it is to say something in support of Paul Lillie, he didn't invade any defenseless countries, he didn't collapse the world economy then demand that taxpayers cover his losses and guarantee his profits and he didn't ship any jobs to China. As far as scoundrels go in today's world, he's really small potatoes. Whilst he certainly seems be deserving of plenty of criticism for being a jerk and a bad businessman, outright bashing like this is uncalled for.

Paul Lillie borrowed £30,000 and paid it back straightaway. In most reality-based scenarios, that speaks well of the man's character. Bashing Paul like this serves no purpose other than to detract from any legitimate criticism of him and/or his activities.

Seriously?

As hard as it is to say something in support of Paul Lillie, he didn't invade any defenseless countries, he didn't collapse the world economy then demand that taxpayers cover his losses and guarantee his profits and he didn't ship any jobs to China. As far as scoundrels go in today's world, he's really small potatoes. Whilst he certainly seems be deserving of plenty of criticism for being a jerk and a bad businessman, outright bashing like this is uncalled for.

So calling someone a "scoundrel, jerk and bad businessman" aren't an outright bashing then, I'd hate to see what on outright bashing actually is thenlaugh.png

K

just remembered, that was about the time he moved house,maybe the short term loan was a bridging loan to cover his move.

That was my, and other moorers, thought at the time.

Seriously?

Paul Lillie borrowed £30,000 and paid it back straightaway. In most reality-based scenarios, that speaks well of the man's character. Bashing Paul like this serves no purpose other than to detract from any legitimate criticism of him and/or his activities.

He may not have "collapse the world economy then demand taxpayers covers his losses" but he has collapsed the world of those moorers who trusted him with their hard earned money and failed to use it as intended. The fact that he re-directed funds that should have been used for, eg providing security to the pontoons for the moorers (as promised in all the sales blurb), lends itself to highlight the character of the man. Believe me, this is not "Paul bashing", it is merely a statement of fact of the ingrained mis-management of the business and the total lack of regard for the most important people in all of this, his customers.

At the creditors meeting on the 3Feb, surely not all 300 boaters attend? How does it work?

There has never been that amount of boaters berthed at the Marina..Possible half that amount!

I'm not sure that any who wish to attend know where the meeting is..Leicester County Court ??

what a PE teacher knows about running a company is beyond me.

[quote

He should know quite a lot about running.

It occurs to me: if moorers at this marina paid for a parking space, not a mooring, what happened when somebody who did not have a car wanted a mooring there?

AS it happens i hardly used my space as it was too miniscule to park my van on..If anyone parked next to me it was a struggle to get in or out..Part of the development for more spaces for cafe/public visitors.

The case of having a motor vehicle or not is irelevent it is a piece of land designated a car parking space..Ibelieve at one time he offered a shed as an alternative.

Part of the development for more spaces for cafe/public visitors.

It's rather interesting how often the use of the marina by members of the public is mentioned in this thread, as I'm not altogether sure that such use was permitted under the planning permission which authorised the development. Although the decision notice for the 2005 outline planning permission (application P/05/0992/2) is, rather unusually, missing from Charnwood Borough Council's online planning portal, the draft prepared by the case officer contained the following imposed condition:

10 - Notwithstanding the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 or the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995, or any Order revoking and re enacting those Orders, the use of the building hereby permitted shall be limited to purposes solely ancillary to the use of the site for the mooring of boats at the marina and for fishing. None of the retail activity hereby permitted shall be promoted as being available for use by persons other than those also using the marina and fishing facilities and none of these uses shall function or be operated independently of the marina and fishing facilities. The goods retailed from the site shall be restricted to those associated with boating and fishing activities at the site.

REASON: The site lies in an area, and in a particular location, where uses other than those strictly associated with the primary use hereby permitted would be likely to be detrimental to the character and appearance of the countryside, would generate a level of turning movements into and out of Flesh Hovel Lane at its Barrow Road junction and a use of Flesh Hovel Lane that would not be in the interests of highway safety and would not be in accord with development plan policy relating to rural recreational development.

My bold. Which would rather knock the use of the cafe by members of the public on the head. None of the subsequent grants of Full permission, or reserved matters, revoked such a clause, and indeed the most recent (2012) permission granted, for the erection of storage sheds, carried a similar condition, as follows:

2. The storage sheds hereby permitted shall not be used other than by boating occupiers of the marina and solely for the storage of items ancillary to that occupation.

REASON: The use for a storage activity other than in association with the marina would be contrary to adopted national and local rural land use policy and would be likely to generate additional traffic on Flesh Hovel Lane, which is unsuitable in width and alignment to cater for such traffic, and would be detrimental to the rural amenities of the area.

It's rather interesting how often the use of the marina by members of the public is mentioned in this thread, as I'm not altogether sure that such use was permitted under the planning permission which authorised the development. Although the decision notice for the 2005 outline planning permission (application P/05/0992/2) is, rather unusually, missing from Charnwood Borough Council's online planning portal, the draft prepared by the case officer contained the following imposed condition:

10 - Notwithstanding the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 or the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995, or any Order revoking and re enacting those Orders, the use of the building hereby permitted shall be limited to purposes solely ancillary to the use of the site for the mooring of boats at the marina and for fishing. None of the retail activity hereby permitted shall be promoted as being available for use by persons other than those also using the marina and fishing facilities and none of these uses shall function or be operated independently of the marina and fishing facilities. The goods retailed from the site shall be restricted to those associated with boating and fishing activities at the site.

REASON: The site lies in an area, and in a particular location, where uses other than those strictly associated with the primary use hereby permitted would be likely to be detrimental to the character and appearance of the countryside, would generate a level of turning movements into and out of Flesh Hovel Lane at its Barrow Road junction and a use of Flesh Hovel Lane that would not be in the interests of highway safety and would not be in accord with development plan policy relating to rural recreational development.

My bold. Which would rather knock the use of the cafe by members of the public on the head. None of the subsequent grants of Full permission, or reserved matters, revoked such a clause, and indeed the most recent (2012) permission granted, for the erection of storage sheds, carried a similar condition, as follows:

2. The storage sheds hereby permitted shall not be used other than by boating occupiers of the marina and solely for the storage of items ancillary to that occupation.

REASON: The use for a storage activity other than in association with the marina would be contrary to adopted national and local rural land use policy and would be likely to generate additional traffic on Flesh Hovel Lane, which is unsuitable in width and alignment to cater for such traffic, and would be detrimental to the rural amenities of the area.

This is most interesting, and one wonders whether Charnwood Council has been made aware of an apparent "stretching" of their planning permission.

• Greenie 1

At the creditors meeting on the 3Feb, surely not all 300 boaters attend? How does it work?

There has never been that amount of boaters berthed at the Marina..Possible half that amount!

I'm not sure that any who wish to attend know where the meeting is..Leicester County Court ??

The meeting is at a firm of Accountants in Nottingham who have sent letters out to creditors for them to stake their claim.

This meeting is just to appoint a Liquidator & it could appoint a Liquidation Committee, but I don't know how that works.

100 shares

there were 800 shares, one per thousand pound for the original capital investment put in by each of us

you have just confirmed what I thought at the time, that the licensed premises was to be for marina users only! How did we/he get away with it for 6 years then, does nobody check? I remember when the café opened, all sorts of dignitaries were there, including I think, the mayor of Charnwood, and top brass from Leics county council!

Round figures

Loan was £130,000 to buy 16.5% of the shares

130,000/16.5 = £7879 per share

no no, 16.5%, not 16.5 shares, 16.5% of 800 shares

there were 800 shares, one per thousand pound for the original capital investment put in by each of us

no no, 16.5%, not 16.5 shares, 16.5% of 800 shares

My mistake - I was working under an assumption.

Our company was set up with 100 shares (which I was told by the accountant was 'standard' - the alternative 'standard' was 1000 shares) We had only two shares issued - one to each Director.

No reason why a company should not be set up with 800 shares,