Dispute at Pillings

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

Well here we are 84 pages and going for the ton.

But can anybody tell me if anything has actually been achieved other than stressing out the poor bu**ers moored at Pillings?

We have probably stressed a few, but hopefully have also helped a few more.

Does anyone know if QMP owe money to anyone other than C & RT?

This question was rather why I mused a few hundred postings ago about whether or not HMRC were interested in the situation.

Smith-Cooper Accountants appear to have the address St Helens House.King Street. Derby.DE1 3EE

Yes, they are the licensed insolvency practitioners I mentioned.

If the sale falls through due to no fault of the buyer then the deposit is due back, at least it is when you deal with a reputable broker....

That is exactly my point.

The broker is saying "I don't trust you so you have to leave a deposit."

Why should I trust someone who doesn't trust me?

That is exactly my point.

The broker is saying "I don't trust you so you have to leave a deposit."

Why should I trust someone who doesn't trust me?

No the broker is saying 'I need to see commitment from you'. Paying for a survey is in my view insufficient evidence of that as you could walk away for the most trivial survey findings and in the meantime the broker could have lost another potential buyer for the vendor.

No the broker is saying 'I need to see commitment from you'. Paying for a survey is in my view insufficient evidence of that as you could walk away for the most trivial survey findings and in the meantime the broker could have lost another potential buyer for the vendor.

So paying out around a grand for a survey is lack of commitment?

Sorry but there are plenty of boats out there and I've never had difficulty finding one.

My "no deposit" rule applies to everything, btw and I have yet to experience any hardship because of it.

So paying out around a grand for a survey is lack of commitment?

Sorry but there are plenty of boats out there and I've never had difficulty finding one.

My "no deposit" rule applies to everything, btw and I have yet to experience any hardship because of it.

Out of interest what type of boat are we talking about and which brokers?

Does anyone know if QMP owe money to anyone other than C & RT?

According to the June 2012 accounts, QMP owes £1.9m.

Also according to those accounts, it owes £1.5m to PLM and £0.4m to QMH

The accounts appear to ignore the debt to CRT

No I mean which brokers have you actually had success using this method with.

I'd like to know the answer to that. A private sale is one thing, but all brokers as far as I know will ask for a deposit, even if it is a nominal amount, simply because once your offer is accepted they agree to take the boat off the market, unlike house sales. It is therefore reasonable to expect a consideration for this action.

I suppose you could ask the broker to leave the boat on the market whilst you are arranging your survey, but say the surveyor, as many do, wants paying up front, you pay for a survey and then another buyer comes along... what then?

What I would object to is the practice a number of brokers employ which seems to view the deposit as a sort of "down payment", only to be refunded in exceptional circumstances.

It really is about time that Paul Lillie stopped belly-aching about how he feels he is being victimised by CRT, moorers and suppliers. He knew the situation regarding NAA and that payment would be due. The failure to maintain near maximum occupancy at this marina has little to do with market forces, and much more to do with Paul Lillie’s attitude and reputation. I used to moor at Pillings Lock Marina and saw at first hand the chronic financial and physical mismanagement of what is, potentially, an amazing place to live. I have many friends still at the marina who tell me that nothing has changed despite many complaints to the marina management.

The owner/managing director Paul Lillie is an obnoxious, aggressive, belligerent bully who is disliked by the majority of the moorers. He has treated the marina customers as idiots for years, and falsely accused his own father of a criminal act. Whilst the marina was being built he used £30,000 of investment money as a personal loan. This was money invested by leaseholders towards the construction of the marina and was not intended as an interest-free honey pot for Mr Lillie. This is not conjecture – I have seen the accounts, which are public documents.

His behaviour has been quite unbelievable. He forced his parents out of a business that they initiated; he installed his “life partner”, Chris Herbert, as a director of the company, though what a PE teacher knows about running a company is beyond me. I have seen myself the way he treats customers, and it is no wonder that a couple of them felt compelled to take a swing at him.

Pillings Lock will NEVER prosper while it has such a disagreeable person in charge. I, along with other moorers, tried to warn Matt Steadman about what Paul Lillie was doing to the marina but he just didn’t want to know, so it is no wonder the current situation has arisen.

Edited by Grace & Favour

It is not unusual to install a spouse or life partner as a director in a business you own. Very tax efficient, most accountants would suggest this

Richard

How does that work then?

Spouses being partners in a business might, but I can't see how two directors being married or partners helps with tax.

MtB

Message to Phantasm,

Thank you for your recent post - -

I have taken the unusual decision to temporarily withdraw it in order that we may check through it, and ensure that it doesn't cause you, or CWDF, any problems with any person(s) with a particular interest in the finer points of any legal arguments it may raise

I suspect something inappropriate was posted and was quickly reported or spotted and removed by the mods.

Actually you're right. I saw a post by new user 'Phantasm' ten minutes ago, critical of PL.

Didn't seem to me any worse than a lot of other stuff in the thread though. Can't really see why it was pulled.

My best guess is that PL has been issuing threats and the mods have buckled.

MtB