Dispute at Pillings

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

a comment on several useful posts leading up to it, people hanging around waiting for things to happen. Some fall on stoney ground.....

Yay I got a mention.

1 thing I'd like to know, why is Narrowboatworld helping to mislead the moorers at Pillings Lock? Why doesnt Allen Richards say something about this? From what I've read he is against CaRT, & it would seem so is Narrowboatworld.

Yet it seems they are happy to spout PLs stuff about a new NAA going to be in place, but apparently dont want to publish CaRT's opposite view about the matter.

What have the moorers at Pillings Lock done to upset them to such an extent that they dont want to let the moorers know this?

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Notice Alert

River Soar

Starts At: Lock 52 - Pillings Lock

Ends At: Lock 52 - Pillings Lock

Monday 7 April 2014 06:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Information

Original message:

Please be advised that works will be taking place around the entrance to Pillings Marina.

During these works you may experience delays for a short period of time. Please bear with us we will try and keep disruption to a minimum.

You can view this notice and its map online here:

http://canalrivertru...f-loughborough-

You can find all notices at the url below:

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Apparently this is routine maintenance work on a culvert?

Notice Alert

River Soar

Starts At: Lock 52 - Pillings Lock

Ends At: Lock 52 - Pillings Lock

Monday 7 April 2014 06:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Information

Original message:

Please be advised that works will be taking place around the entrance to Pillings Marina.

During these works you may experience delays for a short period of time. Please bear with us we will try and keep disruption to a minimum.

You can view this notice and its map online here:

http://canalrivertru...f-loughborough-

You can find all notices at the url below:

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Apparently this is routine maintenance work on a culvert?

And apparently timed to cause maximum consternation to concerned moorers!

Some time back in this thread, I think it might have been PL put a statement on here that there would be work done on a culvert near the marina and moorers shouldn't be worried if they see work boats near the marina entrance. Having said that, good timing by CRT to have some equipment handy for other work if needed.

I seem to recall, way back when this thread started, there was something mentioned that CRT had some maintenance work scheduled there at Pillings for early Spring. I don't remember what the work was. It was reported on this thread a couple of weeks ago that some private contractor had been out and did some kind of light work for a couple of days. What exactly they were doing there, whether they performed the entire scope of the planned maintenance, or were just a reconnaissance mission, I don't think was ever mentioned here.

If I were in charge of scheduling for CRT, I'd certainly try to have the maintenance work and the closure scheduled for the same time. Moving equipment can be costly. On the other hand, it's interesting that this navigation alert is in effect "until further notice". That sounds rather open-ended, and not at all like a planned bit of maintenance.

Perhaps this is CRT's way of saying, "Yoo-hoo. Reality check time!" to not only the obfuscators in charge of PLM but also the moorers there who may have their heads in the sand and/or believe the song and dance coming from PLM management. I would imagine that the outrage is going to reach crescendo levels as soon as the work boats show up.

there is a culvert that diverts governor's brook under the canal to the river. Originally it went right round the site and crossed what is now the marina entrance.

maybe they will block off the entrance and empty the marina via the brook.

I seem to recall, way back when this thread started, there was something mentioned that CRT had some maintenance work scheduled there at Pillings for early Spring. I don't remember what the work was. It was reported on this thread a couple of weeks ago that some private contractor had been out and did some kind of light work for a couple of days. What exactly they were doing there, whether they performed the entire scope of the planned maintenance, or were just a reconnaissance mission, I don't think was ever mentioned here.

If I were in charge of scheduling for CRT, I'd certainly try to have the maintenance work and the closure scheduled for the same time. Moving equipment can be costly. On the other hand, it's interesting that this navigation alert is in effect "until further notice". That sounds rather open-ended, and not at all like a planned bit of maintenance.

Perhaps this is CRT's way of saying, "Yoo-hoo. Reality check time!" to not only the obfuscators in charge of PLM but also the moorers there who may have their heads in the sand and/or believe the song and dance coming from PLM management. I would imagine that the outrage is going to reach crescendo levels as soon as the work boats show up.

The email says "During these works you may experience delays for a short period of time. Please bear with us we will try and keep disruption to a minimum." Which rather counters open ended?

The email says "During these works you may experience delays for a short period of time. Please bear with us we will try and keep disruption to a minimum." Which rather counters open ended?

Not so.

This is a restriction to the navigation rather than a closure of the navigation.

The restriction is open ended, but will not disrupt navigation all the time.

stickleback, on 02 Apr 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

You will have a short delay on your journey (ie until we move the boat out of the way) not - the work will be undertaken for a short period of time.