Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
MJG

Dennis

Featured Posts

It it with some considerable sadness that I am typing something that I never thought I would have to for another 5-10 years but it has come as a great shock to us that we have had to have our lovely little Jack Russell Dennis put to sleep this afternoon. Dennis was only 5 last November so should have had a long and happy life ahead of him

He became unwell on Sunday with vomiting which we initially put down to a tummy bug as he has had them before.

By Tuesday he was no better and was starting to become very lethargic and seemed in pain so a trip to the Vet was sorted. Initially thoughts were pancreatitis which can be self limiting or very serious. By Wednesday he was still unwell so a return trip was arranged for some analgesia and a re-assessment. By Thursday he was still not eating still not well at all so he was admitted to the vets for bloods and re-hydration.

The bloods however came back indicating not pancreatitis but rather acute and very severe renal failure from which he wasn't going to recover. One possible cause is that he has ingested something he should not have done but he is with us 24/7 and is not allowed things like chocolate so if he has it is a complete mystery to us how it has happened if this was the cause. The Vet called us this afternoon with the devastating news so I went down to be with him while he was put to sleep. Jan just couldn't face it.

I realise that there are much worse things that happen in life and this may not mean much to people who don't have pets or have bigger things going on but we are simply devastated and dreading the first trip to the boat without him - we never ever had a trip on the boat with out him and he had even started to come on our summer holidays to France with us.

We will miss him greatly.

Rest in peace little fella.

VDVZ5lf.png

Edited by The Dog House

Martin - I am with you 100%. It has brought back memories of having to have my 20 year old cat put down. It's never easy, you probably won't forget it but just take the thought that Denis is now running free in that great field in the sky where no harm can come to him, he will be free of pain and please treasure the memories you have of him - those memories no one can take from you and Jan.

Thinking of you.

Edited by Leo No2

Bloody hell, Martin, what a terrible thing to happen.

Having had to have our "Charlie" put to sleep at 3 years when we also assumed he had a long life still ahead of him, this is a situation I can really identify with. As you say a non dog owner quite possibly will not.

Nothing I can say really.

We thought we would be dog-less for quite a while, and wouldn't rush into another one in any great hurry. In practice none of the family could stand it very long, and in less than 4 months we were arranging for "Odin" to be the new boat dog.

I'm sure you'll fairly quickly know what you want to do, but you an Jan must be quite devastated now, and will be for quite a while, I'm sure.

Sorry to hear this - we all get very attached to our pets, and its always a shock when that time comes.

From previous posts, it sounds like he had a great life.

Very sad to hear , especially in a dog so young. There is nothing I can say really to help. .I hope in time you consider getting yourselves another pal, you obviously have so much care and love to give.

So sorry, I always wanted to meet Denis, he looked such a character. It's never an easy thing to have to do but he had a good life with you and you were with him at the end.

We still miss cats that died over 10 years ago so love and condolences to you both,

Libby and Stuart

Flippin eck! Martin, how very very sad. I know just how you feel having lost ours a couple years ago.

He seemed a really cheeky chap and your stories of him have been amusing.

Be strong for each other.

Martyn

Oh Martin sorry to hear your sad news, I sadly know just how you feel as over the years we too have lost much loved crew members. My thoughts are with you and Jan.

I always like to think there is a pet afterlife and think of mine having free range to be as naughty as they were in life

Phil

Oh no! I never met Dennis, yet he always made me smile

A small dog with a big character

Martin, that's very sad

Richard

Martin,

Sincere thoughts for you both.

Dennis was a wonderful character, and was an enthusiastic little hound!

He undoubtedly contributed a great deal to your lives, and you his.

Pets are the very greatest of friends, their loyalty is total - as is our loyalty to pets

These relationships, although all too brief, make our lives special.

sorry to hear of his untimely, it is never easy to lose those we love be they human or animal

Such a shame Martin both Lynn and myself being pet owners realise how sad this must be, lovely looking dog too, that undoubtedly gave lots of fun and happiness to all.

His photo on your avatar always makes us smile.

Very sorry to hear that Martin. Although I am not a pet owner and never really "get" it, I do know that others become very attached to their pets and so it must be very upsetting to lose one, especially before his time.

So sorry we have two elderly dogs and I dread the day it happens to mine as one has a grade 5 heart murmur my thoughts are with you Alice No1

Hi,

Sorry to hear your news, had to have my cat put down a couple of years ago while I held him, a tough job.

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Martin, that is such sad news.

Being one of those who has had what might be described as bigger things happening fairly recently all I can say is, believe me they're not. Different, but not necessarily bigger. A characterful pet is part of what is right with life when everything else goes wrong, and that is a big deal indeed.

Dogs, eh, they love you and then break your heart. Grieve for him and then remember him with love.

Patrick

Terrible news,our Jasper [avatar]has been gone for nearly two years now,he was in his 19th year.Have more than a reasonable idea of how you both must be feeling.I'll bet he was a lovely little bloke.

Sad news Martin, I always said to myself after having my beloved Boxer dog Sasha from a pup till when I had to have her put down some 12 years later (her back legs went and she soiled herself) I would never have another animal, but at present I'm out of the house most of the day so I decided it wouldn't be fair to take on another dog, but somehow ended up taking in one stray kitten, and then another who's owner had died.

Not that this helps in anyway as our pets no matter what they are become part of the family it's heart wrenching when we have to say goodbye - just think of the happy memories you both had with Dennis and what a lovely and spoilt life you gave him

I'm really sorry to read that. I know how you must feel.

To have a loved pet put to sleep is terrible.

I always insist on being with them then bringing them home afterwards.

In my garden I've got a cat under a flowering cherry and a dog with his own flower bed and garden gnome for company.

Martin and Jan, so sorry to hear your news. Millie our JRT is a similar age to Dennis. I can only guess at the sorrow you are now both facing.

I do know how much these little furry beings can infultrate into your hearts.

I do not have any words on this occassion which may bring comfort.

His life was short but boy was he loved.

Edited by Ray T

Martin, such very sad news.

I know of no words to share, which will lighten your grieve, but I truly do understand what you must be feeling at this time. Remember Denise well and all the great times you shared with each other.

Sign in to follow this