Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
mango

Tupperware boats

Featured Posts

Early in my boating career I became familiar with the derogatory term 'tupperware' to describe glass fibre boats, especially by those with steel boats. That was probably because I on a Dawncraft at the time – in the early 80s.

I have just spotted this advert for a Tupperware toy boat: http://www.etsy.com/listing/98366176/tuppertoys-tuppercanoe-in-box-1985

Out of curiosity, I wonder whether the term 'Tupperware boat' was inspired by these toys or if it predates them.

Early in my boating career I became familiar with the derogatory term 'tupperware' to describe glass fibre boats, especially by those with steel boats. That was probably because I on a Dawncraft at the time – in the early 80s.

I have just spotted this advert for a Tupperware toy boat: http://www.etsy.com/listing/98366176/tuppertoys-tuppercanoe-in-box-1985

Out of curiosity, I wonder whether the term 'Tupperware boat' was inspired by these toys or if it predates them.

Was on a narrowboat in 1968...and the elderly barge captain that was with me...was using the term then.

I recall two 'bloody Tupperwares'...(his words)... overwidth..(fenders)...being stuck in the tunnel at Braunston

Edited by Bobbybass

Surely it's a reference to Tupperware as in the plastic sealable containers?

I think it came to the UK from the US in the sixties...

tupperware_party_729-420x0.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Surely it's a reference to Tupperware as in the plastic sealable containers?

I think it came to the UK from the US in the sixties...

These days "Tupperware boats" are often referred to as " Yoghourt Pots"

I wondered whether Tupperware is still made, under that name.

Apparently it is, so the interweb tells me, but has not been generally sold for some years in the UK.

Maybe that's why they're not 'tupperware boats' any longer.

I was certainly familiar with the term in the '60s, along with Noddy Boats.

Tim

File under "Sickeningly inane fake smiles".

is that a prototype Ford Mondeo on the table at front right?

If you look at the boat, Martin, it's really a slightly modified sealable plastic container!

Apparently it is, so the interweb tells me, but has not been generally sold for some years in the UK.

Tim

You're right...I'd forgotten the 'Noddy boat' expression.

The Tupperware term...was said with more 'venom' in the 1960's as there were many original barge folk about (as was our captain)..who had been freight carrying and saw tourists as unecessary...and rather silly.

As for Tupperware itself...do you not recall that it was sold at Tupperware 'parties'..?

I deal in antiques...and original Tupperware in good condition ..now fetches good money as a collectable...

Some rare items..(1940/1950)... will sell for hundreds.

tupperware_party_729-420x0.jpg

Great photo..undoubtably...a Tupperware party...

Edited by Bobbybass

As for Tupperware itself...do you not recall that it was sold at Tupperware 'parties'..?

Indeed, and it seems as though the UK 'housewife' got bored with that selling model which is why they stopped selling here. Maybe because there have been less & less 'housewives'?

Tim

Indeed, and it seems as though the UK 'housewife' got bored with that selling model which is why they stopped selling here. Maybe because there have been less & less 'housewives'?

Tim

They kept the selling model Tim they just moved too to selling Ann Summers (you may need to google that) and marital aids instead, so still household plastic itemslaugh.png

Personally though I think it would be better if all this yoghurt pot/sewer tube name calling was kicked into the long grass.

K

K

Tim

Interesting....I just found this article :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1419903/The-partys-over-for-Tupperware-after-40-years.html

They kept the selling model Tim they just moved too to selling Ann Summers (you may need to google that) and marital aids instead, so still household plastic itemslaugh.png

Hmm..now do I prefer a Tupperware advert...or Ann Summers..?

Tricky one that...

Was on a narrowboat in 1968...and the elderly barge captain that was with me...was using the term then.

I recall two 'bloody Tupperwares'...(his words)... overwidth..(fenders)...being stuck in the tunnel at Braunston

In that case, perhaps the toys were inspired by the larger versions.

I certainly do - I can recall my late mother hosting them and attending them too.

Must have been mid to late sixties which is why I recalled them as being the potential source of the reference.

I think the demise has been in part due to the demise of the 'housewife' as suggested (gawd help anyone who marketed stuff in that way in this day and age!) and the fact that supermarkets have long since sold similar (and arguably better quality) sealable containers for a lot less money.

I remember the ice lolly makers very well but you can even get these in the likes of ASDA/Tesco/Wilkos now too.

As an aside does anyone know what the percentage of boats in the UK are that are GRP/Tupperware/ yoghurt pots, etc?

Not just inland but across the UK as a whole.

I think betterware killed the tupperware brand off, now betterware is in demise!

I think it is Lakeland who do those kind of goods nowadays.

I should imagine Tupperware parties seem a wee tad tame after an Anne Summers party!

Edited by mattlad

Personally though I think it would be better if all this yoghurt pot/sewer tube name calling was kicked into the long grass.

Not for me, it makes me chuckle, and I am not afraid to laugh at myself for owning a sewer tube, with even worse, a *gasp* semi-trad arse. I find it a bit condescending that people would think I couldn't take a harmless aspersion in my stride and laugh it off. These days, we're being told to be offended by an increasing number of things that people in the past didn't give two hoots about. Is this creating a "safer environment", or is it just making us all hyper-sensitive to the faintest of slights?

In answer to Naughty Cal's question, I'd imagine splitters outnumber us greatly, especially if you're talking leisure boats. I hope to graduate to one someday.

In answer to Naughty Cal's question, I'd imagine splitters outnumber us greatly, especially if you're talking leisure boats. I hope to graduate to one someday.

I think I would agree though to try and put any sort of precise number on it would be impossible.

Given the vast numbers of GRP coastal boats there must be - particularly on the South coast added to the likes of the broads and GRP boats that frequent other mainland waterways there must be significantly more, perhaps twice as many?? especially if we are including GRP sailing boats.

Tim

Yes,

My memory is that "Noddy Boat" was more common than "Tupperware" in the late 60s / early 70s, although both were freely used.

What is probably not appreciated these days is that as well as the vast majority of pleasure boats on the cut at that time probably being "Noddy Boats", in fact an awful lot of them (maybe about a half of them), were of plywood (or sometimes solid wood) rather than GRP construction, so although all were "Noddy Boats" only a subset were actually "Tupperware".

"Yogurt Pots" I think comes a lot later, whereas "Splitters" is a modern invention.

I think I would agree though to try and put any sort of precise number on it would be impossible.

Given the vast numbers of GRP coastal boats there must be - particularly on the South coast added to the likes of the broads and GRP boats that frequent other mainland waterways there must be significantly more, perhaps twice as many?? especially if we are including GRP sailing boats.

Again, it's only anecdotal evidence, but I toddle down to Southampton for a bit of wishful thinking every September, and there's not a steel hulled boat in sight. Except for the behemoth Caribbean cruise ship moored next door.

the fact that supermarkets have long since sold similar (and arguably better quality) sealable containers for a lot less money.

I remember the ice lolly makers very well but you can even get these in the likes of ASDA/Tesco/Wilkos now too.

True...but (as I said)..I sometimes pick them up as 1950/1960 antiques..

They still work and seal as they did 50 years ago !!

Maybe...they were too good...

You're right...I'd forgotten the 'Noddy boat' expression.

The Tupperware term...was said with more 'venom' in the 1960's as there were many original barge folk about (as was our captain)..who had been freight carrying and saw tourists as unecessary...and rather silly.

I deal in antiques...and original Tupperware in good condition ..now fetches good money as a collectable...

Some rare items..(1940/1950)... will sell for hundreds.

Great photo..undoubtably...a Tupperware party...

I thought a Tupperware party was a type of boat rally.

As an aside does anyone know what the percentage of boats in the UK are that are GRP/Tupperware/ yoghurt pots, etc?

Not just inland but across the UK as a whole.

I think Jim Sheads site holds the data of if a boats steel, plastic, etc.

Sign in to follow this