Winkle fricassee.

bizzard

Featured Posts

Nip down to the sea shore and gather about 5lb's of winkles. Take em home and boil em up for about 5mins, then after knocking first on their little shell homes to warn them wheedle out the winkles with a pin or needle which involves a knack, a nifty little twirling motion to avoid busting the little chaps in half. Its very difficult to resist eating the little blighters as you wheedle them out though. Having coaxed the winkles out and left enough to make the fricassee remove their little front doors, (the little black caps struck to their heads).

In a Wok or deep frying pan heat a little oil, bung in a little chopped onion or garlic, cook for a bit stirring then bung in whatever chopped root veg you fancy, mushrooms, celery and pasta, rice or spuds ect seasoning to taste and top up a bit with water, pour in some red wine, bung the lid on and simmer for 5mins, bung in the winkles and simmer with the lid off stirring frequently until the veg, rice or pasta is done and the juices mingled with the wine has reduced into a wholesome sauce.

Serve hot with the sauce and a hunk of seeded crusty bread accompanied by a big glass of green ginger wine.

Now that sounds like a proper tasty feed. I remember seeing Ray Mears pulling a load of limpets from some rocks along the coast he then proceeded to cook them by bunging them into some hot embers from his usual camp fire and after he eat them he told the crew to stop filming because he had to go and get more as they were so tasty. Might be something to have in the wok along with the winkles.

Now that sounds like a proper tasty feed. I remember seeing Ray Mears pulling a load of limpets from some rocks along the coast he then proceeded to cook them by bunging them into some hot embers from his usual camp fire and after he eat them he told the crew to stop filming because he had to go and get more as they were so tasty. Might be something to have in the wok along with the winkles.

At low tide you can surprise limpets by kicking them off of the rocks - touch them and they grip on tight like, erm, limpets.

I thought you were about to say that Ray Mears had to go for a #2 - a possible hazard if shellfish are gleaned from some harbours.

At low tide you can surprise limpets by kicking them off of the rocks - touch them and they grip on tight like, erm, limpets.

I've found this to be true, too. You have to really sneak up on them though. The slightest vibration as you approach and they lock themselves on. You can see a little water expelled from the perimeter of their shells as they tighten down and lock on. Once this happens there is no chance of knocking them off.

Never occurred to me to cook and eat them...

MtB