Inverter to run a washing machine

Theo

Featured Posts

It quotes a peak wattage facility of 4kw. The heater isn't on very long, but yes, it would be an expensive thing if I make it go pop.. I figured it was all a bit marginal, thus haven't used it since, but thought I'd ask, as it might have been that it wasn't marginal at all, and people do this all the time. Thanks for second opinion :)

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-prodshow/VP3000.html?gclid=CKX5092Ro7wCFVDLtAodzTIA5A

Dear Nicholas,

Yes these units are CE approved.

Regards

Andrew Black

Sunshine Solar Ltd

Should that allay my fears? Having watch Daniel's video I might just open it up on arrival and check its build quality. If, that is, I decided to take the risk.

Nick

Thanks to this thread and also to Theo for answering my pm, we have just bought and fitted a 3000w PSW inverter from Sunshine Solar.

So far we are very pleased with it, it runs quieter and cooler than our old 1500w quasi unit and doesn't protest so readily.

Happily, whilst it is physically bigger it uses the same footprint as the old unit, so no problems fitting it.

I didn't use the 4x6mm cables it came with (despite the warnings about warranty at £490 I'm not bothered) but kept our 50mm original connection cables to the batteries as it makes sense to me.

Unplugging our land line and testing it out so far; we have done several washes (boy does it kill the batteries) with the engine running (70 amp alternator) the charger has to work hard to keep up but it does. I have plans to upgrade both Battery bank and alternator, after we return from touring this summer

With the engine off, it runs everything else the old unit wouldn't, like the piezo ignition on the hob and oven, the Breville One Touch tea maker thingy, and importantly, the Yamaha Clavinova.

Rather than having to shut half the units off like we did on the old unit, we can now have everything on (with the exception of the washing machine as that needs the engine for the batts) all the time.

Today I'm also going to fit 495w of isofoton panels from Bimble Solar, which I also found through threads on this forum

I'm a happy Bunny, thanks to this Forum and its members

:-)

Jim

Edited by jim and pat dalton

No we didn't. what thread are you referring too? I would be interested to see it

Our boat Bayleys Meadow came equipped with lots of 50mm cable for the power system like this http://www.furneauxriddall.com/acatalog/Battery_Cable.html and then 6mm from the power to the units

Alarms and Cameras,on General Boating,Page 8, Post 147 Gives a summary, But to get a feel

for it you could read the whole Thread,,if you really haven't got anything to do !.

Nothing exciting ime afraid.

• 4 months later...

After a few months I can now report that the inverter is working satisfactorily except for the nowise that it makes. I think that there is a problem with the fancy cooling fan circuitry. If is is cool it's fine but it lives in a place which gets warmed by a few heating pipes when the engine is running.

The sound that it makes is regular 0.6Hz or thereabouts buzz. There are no other problems, though and I have learned to live with the buzz.

N

After a few months I can now report that the inverter is working satisfactorily except for the nowise that it makes. I think that there is a problem with the fancy cooling fan circuitry. If is is cool it's fine but it lives in a place which gets warmed by a few heating pipes when the engine is running.

The sound that it makes is regular 0.6Hz or thereabouts buzz. There are no other problems, though and I have learned to live with the buzz.

N

You can hear it above the engine? Or do you mean after switching off, but before everything has cooled down?

Can I add that we bought ours in April and have had no problems whatsoever with it. Occasionally the fan kicks in with a whirr. but most of the time its silent. It lives in the Engine room but it never gets too hot and you cannot hear the whirr above the bmc engine or indeed any whirr in the cabins, including the bedroom next door to it.

During our summer tour it was on 24hrs a day for three months as the Fridge was running all the time. When we used the washing machine, "whilst travelling" (which is why we bought it), it performed well with the fan kicking in quite early. We also had the engine running as it (the washing machine heater) was killing the batteries

We are now back at base and have a new 12v fridge installed so we only switch it on now when 240v are needed ie: microwave, charging laptop/phone batts, piano etc. (washing machine? now we are not travelling, we switch to land power to be kind to batteries)

very happy with purchase so far, a useful piece of kit to have when living off line

Reviewing my earlier post; The solar panels are also doing a fabulous job (even today on a low light miserable bank holiday) Although we didn't do it for money, our last leccy bill from the marina was £1.68.

Instrumental in this is the fact that we have overspecced the solar installation (495w rather than 200w) and the addition the 12v fridge along with the 12v freezer, vacuum cleaner, TV, LED lighting etc. We haven't had to run the engine or switch to land power (except for washing machine) for ages

Jim

Edited by jim and pat dalton

Hi ya,

From memory, (??) 900w on low and 1500 on high ish.

It has Two settings High & Low, I always keep it

on low, it has a manual timer up to 120 minutes, and find this dry s a load straight out my

Washing machine just fine..

I also think Argos rings a bell.page 786 in catalogue item no 480/2084 £125 ish.

Hope that helps.

We have a very similar Indesit, suspect they are all the same, just re-badged and does the 2 of us very nicely,

(Hi Paul)

Phil

You can hear it above the engine? Or do you mean after switching off, but before everything has cooled down?

Can't hear it above the engine but on warm evenings we often get the noise as we go to bed at about 2230. This when we have been stopped since1700.

Now that the weather is cooler the noise has gone away.

N

Are you sure it's not some Low Battery Alarm.

Quite sure.

It changes to a continuous and nothing like as irritating sound when I add a bit of load. The batteries are usually in the high 90% on the SmartGuage at that time of night.

N

• 1 month later...

Anyone planning (and maybe worrying about) installing a washing machine may find the following notes of use. This was the first time I switched the machine on.

Boat electrics

70 amp 12v DC alternator.
Engine running throughout wash programme
4 x 110 Ah batteries
2000 watt 12v to 240v AC pure sine wave inverter (Sunshine Solar)

Washing Machine

Candy Aquamatic 100f (compact) max 1000 spin, 1300 watt max
Cold feed only, but water fed in via mixer valve at 30 degrees C.
(I might throttle this back to 25 degrees, as the washing did seem a bit warm when I got it out)

Notes

My water (flow meter) reading before the start was 7550 litres
10:45 start, Filling and slow drum movement between 10 and 80 watts
10:56 Heating Cycle. (THIUS IS THE BIT THAT HURTS)

1162 watts with the element only on, and 1271 watts with element and drum movement
11:03 Heating went off after 7 minutes.

Note that the 7 minutes to heat the water is consistent with theory, as if the element is 1100 watts, the raising 9.5 litres of water by 10 degrees C, should take just 6 minutes)

Drum movement continues at 10-100 watts until ..
12:02 The draining and rinsing cycle begins. There are 3 cold water rinses with the machine taking in the fabric conditioner on the last rinse at 12:26, The power rarely exceeds 100 watts.
12:33 The final drain
12:37 The spinning cycle starts. Maximum power 200 – 300 watts
Programme ends at 12:46 (2 hours)

Water reading at end was 7592 litres. So water used was 42 litres. 9.5 litres for the wash and 11.5 litres for each of the 3 rinses.

This is the hottest and longest programme I am likely to use.

I measured the (settled) battery voltage before I started, and did intend to do the same a day later, but clearly the net result of this power usage is not going to be adverse, so in the end, I didn’t bother.

So, all in all, not as scary as I originally feared.

• Greenie 1

Fair point about the 'Nasties' that could incubate in the Machine though, I hadn't give that any thought. I put Vinigar in my Dishwasher, Wipe my Microwave around with the same, But didn't think about the Washing machine, (BTW I think it's the same model as mine, so very useful for me). OMG what about the Tumble Dryer !,

I wouldn't say I've got OCD regarding cleaning, but Living in a small place, every little helps, The Dog licks the Floor clean Daily so that's fine, & I find a Bottle brush & Detol just the job for my Urethra, and it washes my hands at the same time !.

(Hi ya Sir Phil,Fancy a Trip !, I will msg you)