Barrus Shire Engines?

DaveGood

Featured Posts

Thanks Syeve. You haven't been on for a while hope you didn't mind me inviting you into the conversation.

Is the water cooled exhaust manifold the large cast (black) thing that runs along the top of the engine. I'm not very good at explaining items. I was told it was a 50 bhp when I bought the boat.

Martyn.

Yes that's it. On the Shire 50 the cooling system is arranged to use heat from the exhaust to shorten warm up time.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have had a lot to do with Yanmar engines fitted in their own brand mini excavators, they are excellent engines with no apparent weaknesses. Serviced correctly, they will run for many thousands of hours.

If my memory serves me correctly, Barrus give a very good warranty on their products. Yanmar spare parts are not cheap but again major components are not often required.

• 6 years later...

It is a base Yanmar engine and that is the Yanmar engine plate.

Barrus just add the marinisation 'bits' and give it a Barrus 'part number', so you will not find that number in the Barrus engine number list.

Barrus may refer to the 'base engine' in some literature and manuals.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

38 having displacement of 2190 cc 

Are you sure? a BMC 1.5 was rated at around 35bhp so if the Barrus 38 refers to the BHP 1331 CC seems more likely to be correct than 2190 CC. Note plenty of scope to publish a different BHP from the same engine so just generalisations.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you sure? a BMC 1.5 was rated at around 35bhp so if the Barrus 38 refers to the BHP 1331 CC seems more likely to be correct than 2190 CC. Note plenty of scope to publish a different BHP from the same engine so just generalisations.

The Yanmar plate says that it is 30hp & 1331cc