Swing and lift bridges

cereal tiller

Featured Posts

Hi all

Will be taking a cruise on the Southern Oxford this year

Our 70 foot narrowboat is licenced for and cruises on the upper Thames.

Have not been on the Oxford for over 10 years and seem to have forgotten the correct procedure for operating swing and lift bridges.

Am sure the forum is overflowing with expertise regarding this subject.

so.how do we "do"movable bridges?

C.T.help.gif

Edited by cereal tiller

What is it about them that you can't understand?

Surely with the Oxford ones it's as simple as pull down on one end and the bridge bit goes up.

Or am I missing something?

Some time ago i recall reading that there was a proper way to operate them,just wondered that i may have not understood the method of doing so?

Cant think of any swing bridges, the lift bridges are all different so its a case of make it up as you go along. Most are left in the raised position so are no problem though a bit tight. If you're a traddy 70 footer then the back cabin chimney might have to come off for a couple of them.

As long as you are not single handed then its just a case of raising the bridge for the boat to go through.

If you come up Sheepwash (which is now a real bugger in a 70 footer in any flow due to the new pontoon and maybe even a moored boat) then the first few bridges need a BW key. You put your knee and a bit of weight on the pedestal above the lock otherwise the key wont turn. Key goes up with bridge. Sit on the balance beam to keep the bridge up.

Bridge at Thrupp is electric/hydraulic so easy, getting round the corner is harder.

There is a funny aluminium jobby a bit further on that looks like it was built by a crazed aeronautic engineer. Need a good pull on the chain and a bit of strength to raise it, and again sit on the beam to keep it up.

..........Dave

Edited by dmr

Cant think of any swing bridges, the lift bridges are all different so its a case of make it up as you go along. Most are left in the raised position so are no problem though a bit tight. If you're a traddy 70 footer then the back cabin chimney might have to come off for a couple of them.

As long as you are not single handed then its just a case of raising the bridge for the boat to go through.

If you come up Sheepwash (which is now a real bugger in a 70 footer in any flow due to the new pontoon and maybe even a moored boat) then the first few bridges need a BW key. You put your knee and a bit of weight on the pedestal above the lock otherwise the key wont turn. Key goes up with bridge. Sit on the balance beam to keep the bridge up.

Bridge at Thrupp is electric/hydraulic so easy, getting round the corner is harder.

There is a funny aluminium jobby a bit further on that looks like it was built by a crazed aeronautic engineer. Need a good pull on the chain and a bit of strength to raise it, and again sit on the beam to keep it up.

..........Dave

Thanks for the info.

i was thinking of the K and A when i included swing bridges!silly me

Last time we were on the oxford the bridge at Thrupp was manually operated,i understand that it is now a powered one these days.

should another boat be coming from the opposite direction,which one would have priority?

CT

should another boat be coming from the opposite direction,which one would have priority?

CT

Surely the boat that is moored up first lifts/swings the bridge and lets the other boat pass first if it is close enough, and then you pass your own boat and close the bridge. If it's further away and you have time to pass your own boat do that first but remain until the other boat passes and then close the bridge.

That's how we do it any way (not on the South Oxford but with the swing and lift bridges up here)

ed for clarity.

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks for the info.

i was thinking of the K and A when i included swing bridges!silly me

Last time we were on the oxford the bridge at Thrupp was manually operated,i understand that it is now a powered one these days.

CT

Priority is an interesting one for us 70 footers. The rule is that whoever is closest has priority but this can be very hard to judge from a distance and you need to stop well in advance to leave space for the oncoming boat to get through. I reckon if there is any doubt then you should give way. This is because....

1 A lot of boaters are just useless at using reverse to slow down and will just go diagonal and get in your way.

2 A lot of boaters will stop about 65 foot from the bridge so you won't be able to get round them.

3 A fair few will slow down but not stop and hope that they can somehow nip around behind you. A look of horror will appear upon them when your first 57 foot is through the bridge and much more is still coming and they realise they have misjudged it. They will get angry at their own error and feel that it is somehow your fault.

Many boaters, despite many years of experience (which they will tell you about) do not understand that a boat can be longer than 70 foot, and that thisr boat can not steer out of their way whilst its stern is held snugly in a bridge 'ole (or lock).

............Dave

(or just close your eyes and hope!)

I was thinking about an open bridge in the post above, if the bridge needs opening then you help each other and share the job, though if the other boat is single handed (or if you are feeling generous) then you do all the work and wave them through, but remember that many hire boaters will want to do the bridge themselves as its all part of the holiday.

.........Dave

Some time ago i recall reading that there was a proper way to operate them,just wondered that i may have not understood the method of doing so?

Some of them are now locked in the down position and you need a BWB key to unlock them. The best way to unlock them is to sit on the locking mechanism, reach between your legs and turn the key.(your weight takes the weight of the locking bolt) You cant get the key out until you lock the bridge again so don't have it attached to your belt. Once unlocked you walk across the bridge and pull the chain to raise the bridge. The one in Thrupp is now hydraulic with a control box on each side of the canal near the bridge, again requires the BWB key and push button operation

The one in Banbury by the shopping center next to Tooley's is also hydraulic but you use your windlass to operate the manual hydraulic pump at the end of the bridge..

Some of them are now locked in the down position and you need a BWB key to unlock them. The best way to unlock them is to sit on the locking mechanism, reach between your legs and turn the key.(your weight takes the weight of the locking bolt) You cant get the key out until you lock the bridge again so don't have it attached to your belt. Once unlocked you walk across the bridge and pull the chain to raise the bridge.

I'll avoid repeating my recent comments on these lift bridges but one thing I didn't mention before is that when the experts say "turn the key" please be aware that those who are still at the reading the instructions stage, the embossed instructions on at least three locked-down lift bridges on the South Oxford, (difficult when astride and reaching between the legs to insert the key) actually say to turn the key in the wrong direction. Although on one of them some enterprising sole has used a centre punch to spell out the correct way to turn the key.

Edited by canalchef

With respect of the Thrupp bridge I would suggest you give way to any boat waiting for the bridge traveling south, otherwise it could well be sitting right where you want to put your bum to get round the 90° left hand bend on the north side of it.

With respect of the Thrupp bridge I would suggest you give way to any boat waiting for the bridge traveling south, otherwise it could well be sitting right where you want to put your bum to get round the 90° left hand bend on the north side of it.

Thank you

I do remember that is was fiddly enough getting round that tight turn to port,much worse with a boat(or two)parked in the corner!

CT

What is it about them that you can't understand?

Surely with the Oxford ones it's as simple as pull down on one end and the bridge bit goes up.

Or am I missing something?

Yes.

While I am sitting on the balance beam holding the lift bridge open, who steers the boat through?

Phylis? Anyone?

MtB