BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Ok, Gas Street was a bad choice, should have stayed where I was last night. I'm currently laying in bed listening to the worst of Birmingham's karaoke singers one after the other. I'm thinking back to all the threads I read about mooring in Birmingham that all stated to "avoid Gas Street Basin if you want a peaceful night" and wondering why I didn't stay on my peaceful mooring up by Sherborne Wharf. Bad drills.

I genuinely didn't hear a thing. I'm pretty sure I'm not deaf. Maybe I have a super sound insulated boat and never realised.

Maybe being between other boats makes a big difference?

Edited by Dave_P

Starry is trying to keep us all up to date on map Mr Fincher keeps breajing.............

oi!

I'm assured by Starry that she sent me a bum link, and for once, (just for once!), I'm innocent.

N0t sure where the Clover crew intend to start, but it's hard to sleep through a Bolinder stating up and moving off at 6:00 am - though no doubt some of your crew could|

oi!

I'm assured by Starry that she sent me a bum link, and for once, (just for once!), I'm innocent.

N0t sure where the Clover crew intend to start, but it's hard to sleep through a Bolinder stating up and moving off at 6:00 am - though no doubt some of your crew could|

All quiet at Holey Bush wharf, well except for the M6 toll which seemed to be busier than usual (M6 roadworks?). Clover man said they were starting at Gas St.

Ok, Gas Street was a bad choice, should have stayed where I was last night. I'm currently laying in bed listening to the worst of Birmingham's karaoke singers one after the other. I'm thinking back to all the threads I read about mooring in Birmingham that all stated to "avoid Gas Street Basin if you want a peaceful night" and wondering why I didn't stay on my peaceful mooring up by Sherborne Wharf. Bad drills.

If it's any consolation, we.were on the other side of canal from you and have been there several nights. Last night was much noisier, several groups of very lous, very drunk people, discussing jumping in from bridge over arm. No idea why. We usually reckon rainy nights are quieter and weekends the worst.

:smiley_offtopic:

Yes, I misguidedly bought a 4G dongle for internet access when out and about. What a waste of time! The only time I get 4G, I'm in a city, which means I'm usually in someone's house with free access to wifi. Out in the country anywhere it's needed, you're lucky to get G. They saw me coming.

4G at Curdworth -amazing! But still only 12Mb/sec which is achievable with 3G+ (HSDPA or whatever it's called).

Yes. But then you're not looking at a woman who is bothered about points. I'm looking forward to a paddle round my favourite bit of the BCN and a chat with my mates and anyone else who is friendly.

Who really cares if the starting point is miles away and we score very few points? Nobody remembers the points, just what a blast we had, mucking about on the water.

You've got the right idea Wrigglefingers!! Well done. The whole point of this Challenge is exactly that ...... to enjoy yourselves travelling around as much of the BCN as you can. I hope you have a great time and I wish you not much rubbish on your prop!!

• Greenie 1

4G at Curdworth -amazing! But still only 12Mb/sec which is achievable with 3G+ (HSDPA or whatever it's called).

Yes that is what I have in the city centre, and is to be expected really, Three 4G is only 14G max, and the 3G+ is 12G. What is much better on 4G is the ping time, so it feels a better experience.

Yes that is what I have in the city centre, and is to be expected really, Three 4G is only 14G max, and the 3G+ is 12G. What is much better on 4G is the ping time, so it feels a better experience.

Curdworth 4G 12.42 / 5.79 / 75 ms

Erdington 3G 5.56 / 2.21 / 69 ms

So interestingly, shorter ping on 3G though data rates much slower. Just 2 tests so not scientific of course.

Ed: is three 4g theoretical max speed slower than the others then?

Edited by nicknorman

Curdworth 4G 12.42 / 5.79 / 75 ms

Erdington 3G 5.56 / 2.21 / 69 ms

So interestingly, shorter ping on 3G though data rates much slower. Just 2 tests so not scientific of course.

Ed: is three 4g theoretical max speed slower than the others then?

Just shows how variable this all is. Usually I get around 70ms ping times on 3G, yesterday I was getting 30ms on 4G, but today it is up to 47ms on 4G.

I believe Three's 4G speed is max 14G, so yes significantly slower than others like EE which I believe is 40G or so. I assume Three will get faster, but will then charge for it, that is why you get 4G for no additional cost from them right now, as it not that much better than their 3G+, at least that is my take on it.

OK I take the max speed bit back, this is what I am getting now, and I repeated a few times.

3518222642.png

Edited by john6767

Carpe Vinum just arrived in Birmingham, moored at the side of Malt House Pub (by NIA) waiting for my deck hand to head out to our start point, saw Albion on the way in.

Who else is around?

I'm here (as usual). Met Junior/Albion earlier diligently polishing his brass. It's all getting quite exciting now!