BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

ALBION now moored in Gas Street Basin awaiting arrival of crew tomorrow.

20140522_123343_zpslik66rwc.jpg

20140522_123531_zpsuegfgnn0.jpg

We was there last night.

Perry Barr Locks sorted ..... now OPEN!!

HUZZAH!

boat.gifbiggrin.pngboat.gif

Was the other third booted out?

Ship's cat arriving tomorrow.

Then onward to our super secret starting place.

Anyone else going to Ocker Hill?

Oops, what a giveaway!

Edited by Victor Vectis

Walk to bus stop BR1 Brindley place, get bus 126 towards Digbeth.

Get off at Selfridges Digbeth (stop PA3) and pick up bus X20 towards Stratford.

Get off at the wharf, Hockley Heath.

The first bus goes very regularly, the second about every 50 mins.

Spot on precise instructions, thanks!

Second push at a last min callout, does anybody need a house trained crew member who knows how to make good tea, will more than likely not require too much sleep and knows the bcn pretty damn well as well as one end of a windlass from another? If you have, could you contact me direct on 07855877668, many thanks in advance, here's keeping fingers crossed! :-D.

Second push at a last min callout, does anybody need a house trained crew member who knows how to make good tea, will more than likely not require too much sleep and knows the bcn pretty damn well as well as one end of a windlass from another? If you have, could you contact me direct on 07855877668, many thanks in advance, here's keeping fingers crossed! :-D.

Sadly we are full to bursting (I'm sleeping on the roof, but I have put a shout out for you on the BCN Challenge Twitter feed for you and a few people have re-Tweeted it. Fingers crossed for you.

• Greenie 1

Turn up at some locks on a bicycle and armed with a windlass at 8am Saturday, and I bet by 9am you will have blagged your way into crewing on a boat.

:)

MtB

Oh dear all in position ready to start & turned boat upside down & cant find that darned sealed secret envelope! Anyone know if I can get contents emailed to me & if so by whom? Been so excited about this don't want to be disqualified before the start gate!!!!

Clover ("historic narrowboat", apparently) came up behind me today just past Dogging Doublet (Curdworth flight). The youngish lock wheeling chappie and I engaged in conversation and exchanged views on the nature of Hudson owners vs the nature of "historic boat" owners. In the end we agreed that we were both jolly nice chaps. However, I was mortally insulted when he said "you are the most down to earth and normal Hudson owner I have ever come across". I suppose it was just bad luck that moments earlier I had put away the champagne and finished the smoked salmon/caviar canapés. I was so stunned that I suggested they go ahead of me whilst I recovered my composure and self esteem by means of shouting at the butler.

Interestingly nb Cobbett was moored close but just out of sight of the Dogging Doublet, but the occupants were nowhere to be seen. I wonder what they were up to?

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

Clover ("historic narrowboat", apparently) came up behind me today just past Dogging Doublet (Curdworth flight). The youngish lock wheeling chappie and I engaged in conversation and exchanged views on the nature of Hudson owners vs the nature of "historic boat" owners. In the end we agreed that we were both jolly nice chaps. However, I was mortally insulted when he said "you are the most down to earth and normal Hudson owner I have ever come across". I suppose it was just bad luck that moments earlier I had put away the champagne and finished the smoked salmon/caviar canapés. I was so stunned that I suggested they go ahead of me whilst I recovered my composure and self esteem by means of shouting at the butler.

I don't think the crew of "Clover" can afford to be too fussy about Hudsons.

Like several of that "fleet" they regularly travel around with a modern R W Davies boat as a support vessel, and indeed that is how we saw them heading to their stop at Alvecote last night, "Clover" (Historic "Josher") leading with "Alder" (Modern "Northwich Trader") in pursuit.

However I think "Clover" is now travelling alone - its moored immediately behind us at the moment, in fact.

Edited by alan_fincher

I don't think the crew of "Clover" can afford to be too fussy about Hudsons.Like several of that "fleet" they regularly travel around with a modern R W Davies boat as a support vessel, and indeed that is how we saw them heading to their stop at Alvecote last night, "Clover" (Historic "Josher") leading with "Alder" (Modern "Northwich Trader") in pursuit.However I think "Clover" is now travelling alone - its moored immediately behind us at the moment, in fact.

Are you at Curdworth then?

Ed: confusing - the map now shows your peg at Alvecote, your location is Curdworth, with a line joining the two. What's going on?

Edited by nicknorman

Are you at Curdworth then?

Ed: confusing - the map now shows your peg at Alvecote, your location is Curdworth, with a line joining the two. What's going on?

I was sent the wrong link for updating the map, it seems.

Yes, I think we are ahead of you, being the Birmingham side of the tunnel.

Surprised we have Internet, but it's not working too bad.

Interestingly nb Cobbett was moored close but just out of sight of the Dogging Doublet, but the occupants were nowhere to be seen. I wonder what they were up to?

I am at Tawny Towers trying to wrinkle out details of their starting position, Starry is trying to keep us all up to date on map Mr Fincher keeps breaking and Katie is asleep in a foreign country. We'll all be in the Dog for tea at 7.30pm tomorrow night when we'll reveal our starting position. Probably where we fall in t'cut after Katie road tests English beer as opposed to Welsh and needs several more to confirm her suspicions.

I am at Tawny Towers trying to wrinkle out details of their starting position, Starry is trying to keep us all up to date on map Mr Fincher keeps breaking and Katie is asleep in a foreign country. We'll all be in the Dog for tea at 7.30pm tomorrow night when we'll reveal our starting position. Probably where we fall in t'cut after Katie road tests English beer as opposed to Welsh and needs several more to confirm her suspicions.

Blimey, you do know it starts at 08:00 sat morning and the closest starting point is 10 locks and 8 miles away? But then again, maybe you are going to get started at 4am Sat morning. Mmm, then again maybe not!

Falling in the cut is a realistic fear when you see how much wine I have...

Anyway, about these competitors' plaques... Is it one per competing boat, or one per crew member?

Sorry, but I like the shiny. smile.png

I can honestly say that this BCN Challenge has eaten my week, and I have done many awesome things that I loved since I got my boat, but nothing until now has had me this excited or lost me so much sleep!

Which is ironic, as I know that given the Saturday morning start, I will conk out and be asleep en route by Saturday lunchtime. closedeyes.gif

Edited by Starcoaster

Yes, I think we are ahead of you, being the Birmingham side of the tunnel.

Surprised we have Internet, but it's not working too bad.

We don't like the Curdworth "official" visitor moorings. Too gloomy, and no satellite. We always stop at the first little bridge after the top lock, good satellite (through the gap in the hedge) and 3 bars of 3G. Still easily walkable to the pubs if necessary. How did you find the tunnel*? - it gets a bit squeaky for handrails near the Brum end especially when the water level is well up.

*Silly answers not required!

We don't like the Curdworth "official" visitor moorings. Too gloomy, and no satellite. We always stop at the first little bridge after the top lock, good satellite (through the gap in the hedge) and 3 bars of 3G. Still easily walkable to the pubs if necessary. How did you find the tunnel*? - it gets a bit squeaky for handrails near the Brum end especially when the water level is well up.

*Silly answers not required!

I have only previously I think ever gone through the tunnel in the opposite direction with this boat.

Had I realised that, I would have taken the stove chimney off before trying to enter it! (It's fine if it is on the tow-path side - which it wasn't this time).

Satellite is a non issue for us - we decided nobody cared about having a TV on board many years ago now, and have a bit more space as a result!

(Now the problem is simply too many wi-fi enabled devices apparently chasing not enough IP addresses on the on-board network!).

I agree where you have stopped is far nicer, and our usual preference. But today we said "it's not raining yet - lets carry on to the top!". Big mistake - a very long while since I have got so wet boating!

Blimey, you do know it starts at 08:00 sat morning and the closest starting point is 10 locks and 8 miles away? But then again, maybe you are going to get started at 4am Sat morning. Mmm, then again maybe not!

Yes. But then you're not looking at a woman who is bothered about points. I'm looking forward to a paddle round my favourite bit of the BCN and a chat with my mates and anyone else who is friendly.

Who really cares if the starting point is miles away and we score very few points? Nobody remembers the points, just what a blast we had, mucking about on the water.

• Greenie 3

Ok, Gas Street was a bad choice, should have stayed where I was last night. I'm currently laying in bed listening to the worst of Birmingham's karaoke singers one after the other. I'm thinking back to all the threads I read about mooring in Birmingham that all stated to "avoid Gas Street Basin if you want a peaceful night" and wondering why I didn't stay on my peaceful mooring up by Sherborne Wharf. Bad drills.

Yes. But then you're not looking at a woman who is bothered about points. I'm looking forward to a paddle round my favourite bit of the BCN and a chat with my mates and anyone else who is friendly.

Who really cares if the starting point is miles away and we score very few points? Nobody remembers the points, just what a blast we had, mucking about on the water.

I like sleeping, drinking, and smoking. There will be some of that, right?

Mainly the sleeping part...