BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Ok so I'm on my way into Birmingham but I reckon it is going to be early evening at the earliest. At that time of the evening I won't want to be cruising around on a recce of nice/safe mooring spots.

So bearing in mind I don't know Birmingham at all, where is the best place for me to head straight for that has minimal risk of untying? That is my only concern really, I'm not worried about noise as I've been awake for almost 2 days so will sleep like a log no matter what.

I know I'm likely to get 10 different answers and it is possible to be unlucky anywhere, but if there is one recognised place that is better than everywhere else I'll head for there. Likewise I don't want to make the schoolboy error of stopping at the first bollards I see only to find out tomorrow that everyone knows not to moor there.

The only knowledge of Birmingham I have is from my Nicholsons and it looks like once I get into the city centre the first thing I'll come across is Gas St Basin?

Give us some clues please. Where are you, where do you think you will be, where do you want to be?

Richard

Apologies.

I am just past Lady Lane moorings. I want to moor right in the centre of Brum. Tomorrow I'll be moving for Water and Elsan but I'm not fussed about that tonight.

Ok so I'm on my way into Birmingham but I reckon it is going to be early evening at the earliest. At that time of the evening I won't want to be cruising around on a recce of nice/safe mooring spots.

So bearing in mind I don't know Birmingham at all, where is the best place for me to head straight for that has minimal risk of untying? That is my only concern really, I'm not worried about noise as I've been awake for almost 2 days so will sleep like a log no matter what.

I know I'm likely to get 10 different answers and it is possible to be unlucky anywhere, but if there is one recognised place that is better than everywhere else I'll head for there. Likewise I don't want to make the schoolboy error of stopping at the first bollards I see only to find out tomorrow that everyone knows not to moor there.

The only knowledge of Birmingham I have is from my Nicholsons and it looks like once I get into the city centre the first thing I'll come across is Gas St Basin?

The first recognised mooring spot you'll come to is holiday wharf, opposite the cube. There's an elsan and water tap there and ain't too bad a place to moor. If you turn the corner just beyond you can also moor there, opposide the premier inn (but it can be busy and noisy there), then there's Gas Street Basin, which is nice. Then you go go under the Broad Street tunnel and on to old turn junction. Take a sharp left here for moorings at the in the oozells street loop, take a shallow left and moor on the mainline by the nia, turn right and head to cambrian wharf and moor opposite the Flapper and Firkin. It's all good!

Head for old Turn Junction (by the Sea Life Centre), and then stop as soon as you can on either side of the Main Line.

Before you get to Gas Street Basin, whilst still on the Worcester & Birmingham there are bollards all the way on the left, that part has the most footfall, and personally I would go past those and head to the Main Line after Old Turn. There are also 2 visitor moorings at "the back" of Gas Street Basin on the BCN side of Worcestor bar (the stop lock) by the (closed) James Brindley Pub. I have never used them, but I would think they would be relativity quiet.

The first recognised mooring spot you'll come to is holiday wharf, opposite the cube. There's an elsan and water tap there and ain't too bad a place to moor. If you turn the corner just beyond you can also moor there, opposide the premier inn (but it can be busy and noisy there), then there's Gas Street Basin, which is nice. Then you go go under the Broad Street tunnel and on to old turn junction. Take a sharp left here for moorings at the in the oozells street loop, take a shallow left and moor on the mainline by the nia, turn right and head to cambrian wharf and moor opposite the Flapper and Firkin. It's all good!

My advice - if there's space, moor by holiday wharf.

Apologies.

I am just past Lady Lane moorings. I want to moor right in the centre of Brum. Tomorrow I'll be moving for Water and Elsan but I'm not fussed about that tonight.

OK, you'l easily make the centre today. I would aim for outside the NIA, or in the end of the Sherbourne loop. If you are there around five, you'll easily make the Black Country Museum while it is still light

Richard

My advice - if there's space, moor by holiday wharf.

But it is so dull!

Richard

Apologies.

You are about 4 hours 30 mins from Old Turn then, you should be there 6'ish. You will be about 300 yds from me shortly, but we can't see the canal from our house!

You are about 4 hours 30 mins from Old Turn then, you should be there 6'ish. You will be about 300 yds from me shortly, but we can't see the canal from our house!

Just passed you. Planning to stop at Lyons for fuel as per advice earlier in the thread.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. If I do make it there for tea time as has been suggested, it sounds like I'll have time to moor up and go forward on a foot recce.

Having read so much bad stuff about mooring in Birmingham I'll probably find out it's all bollocks and I'm being overly cautious.

Another vote for outside the National Indoor Arena. Quite a lot of footfall from those unfortunates who work, so quite busy first thing, then around five in the evening, but otherwise fine. Also shops not far away to the south east of that spot.

Ok I'm not even in Birmingham yet and I've had 2 different people shout "come on the baggies" at me. I hope this is not going to go on all weekend!

Another vote for outside the National Indoor Arena. Quite a lot of footfall from those unfortunates who work, so quite busy first thing, then around five in the evening, but otherwise fine. Also shops not far away to the south east of that spot.

Ok so I'm looking on my Nicholsons, where is the NIA?

Ok I'm not even in Birmingham yet and I've had 2 different people shout "come on the baggies" at me. I hope this is not going to go on all weekend!

Its at Old Turn opposite the Sea Life Centre.

Hmmm. It may be wise not to include Horseley Fields or the 21 in your itinerary... wink.png

Indeed, the whole of Wolverhampton may be a problem icecream.gif

Better change the boat name to France, then everyone will hate it

About mooring, I forgot to include the visitor moorings at Hockley Port on the Soho loop. I'm sure the locals will make you very welcome

Richard

Perhaps a very quick paint job name to change to Blues or Villa. Oh, hang on, didn't really think that through......

Manchester United, um

Chelsea - er

Look, just paint Millwall on the side and be done with it

Richard

clapping.gif I was assuming you were all going to be friendly on this challenge. It looks likethe dirty tactics have started already icecream.gif

Could we go public with our start points? Or is it a big no-no and part of the fun/mystery to just see who else turns up?

At least if there is 20 of us who have chosen the same place we can sort out some sort of way of deciding who goes first.

Well I'll tell you mine if you'll tell me yours.

ohmy.png

Damn! was a small chance of doing the challange on Crane, but it looks like she has a full crew. So, an at the last min callout, does anybody need a house trained crew member who knows how to make good tea, will more than likely not require too much sleep and knows the bcn pretty damn well as well as one end of a windlass from another? If you have, could you contact me direct on 07855877668, manty thanks in advance, heres keeping fingers crossed! :-D