BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

I've just looked into this David, and it does not allow manual updating, so this won't be a goer as not everyone has access to the right device to use the system.

The same could be said of the other map thing. Oh well. Possibly asking too much of technology.

Whilst we are on the subject of buses. ...do any of you locals have any idea how I get from Gas Street to Hockley Heath tomorrow for my car shuffle?

Train or bus.

Walk to snow hill station. Train to Dorridge Station. Walk to Hockley Heath.

The technology exists, it is Mapmytracks. It's $150.

Richard

150 people, £1 each :-)

or http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk

Bus is the route to Hockley Heath - its a long walk from Dorridge station!

If going by train I would have got the train from Snow Hill to Lapworth, that is closer then Dorridge but is it still a good walk up the locks and along to Hockley Heath, and you not have much choice of trains to Lapworth. The X20 bus is probably not a bad bet, never been on it but you see it on Stratford Road all the time. Not sure if Digbeth coach station is the best place to get it from, but it takes about 40 mins from there to Hockley Heath.

Iona's made her penultimate positioning move and is now moored behind Tawny Owl. It's great to get on line after two nights in internetless black holes known more commonly as Wheaton Aston and Brewood!

Time to catch up and play with my never used Twitter account :)

"Chalice" is now a bit South of Hartshill on the Coventry.

We have been deliberately wasting time today, as I thought we had too much time on our hands, (we have done most of the charity shops in Nuneaton - re we desperate or what?).

Now my motley crew tell me they probably want to start the Challenge somewhere completely different from anywhere I had anticipated as likely, and we probably now haven't got enough time to get there! :banghead:

The same could be said of the other map thing. Oh well. Possibly asking too much of technology.

I can't pick a miracle- or $150- out of thin air! I also can't make something suit everyone. We have what we have, a couple of people have run into issues with it so far that i hope will be ironed out, but others have got on ok with it both on Android and Apple technology.

No it won't do absolutely everything, like show route passed or update via GPS, but nothing else I (or anyone else found) ticked all of the boxes either.

I have started on the software I deemed the best compromise, took several hours to find and work it out, and I am not keen to swap it for something else that is just different rather than better.

If anyone finds something that does do it all though, let me know!

OK,

So if (say) a dozen boats all decide to start from the same location, and all head off in the same direction, what happens then?

Is there any kind of etiquette that says they will have formed an orderly queue, (perhaps ordered by when they first got there), or it it a complete free for all as everybody starts engines at 08:00, and tries to buffet each other out the way to get to the first obstruction before anybody else?

And what about if someone actually decides to motor in from somewhere else, and pass a start point where others have gatheredat 08:00. Are they likely to have to join the back of a queue, or do they just slot in where they can?

I received this message from Brenda at the BCNS. Usual replacements in the email address so he doesn't get spammed. Posted in the crew swap section but Junior suggested I add it here too....

Bernard Hales bernard at enterpriseno1 dot co dot uk> wrote:

I am advised by friends that Geoff Bailey is looking for a replacement crew for 'Crane', setting off from Stockton shortly.

So a lot of winding to do before the start to warm up!

Anyone not already involved in crewing a boat but wants to take part, please contact me or Geoff direct.

Many thanks,

Bernard Hales.

is it possible to park near Hawne Basin, i am sort of planning to park there and meet up with Reg in Gas Street, via taxi or bus, is this a workable plan?

Bus into Birmingham at the bottom of Hereward Rise on the main road. It's just a short walk from Hawne Basin. They may allow you parking inside the gates but if not there is a convenient place just outside.

OK,

So if (say) a dozen boats all decide to start from the same location, and all head off in the same direction, what happens then?

Is there any kind of etiquette that says they will have formed an orderly queue, (perhaps ordered by when they first got there), or it it a complete free for all as everybody starts engines at 08:00, and tries to buffet each other out the way to get to the first obstruction before anybody else?

And what about if someone actually decides to motor in from somewhere else, and pass a start point where others have gatheredat 08:00. Are they likely to have to join the back of a queue, or do they just slot in where they can?

Honestly Alan, it hasn't happened much before. We started behind another boat in 2009, muttered up most of the Perry Barr until they met an empty pound. At this point Team Tawny Owl laughed, filled the flight and then both boats locked up together, leaving as friends

You could try fisticuffs I suppose, Your height and reach should be an advantage

Richard

Edited by RLWP

OK, so son asked a question. I'm sure it must be in the thread somewhere, but...

If you have anyone come along and assist your crew, even for a while, they are added into your crew count.

What happens if a boat doing the challenge are working up a flight of locks and assist the crew in front/behind. Does the assisted boat have to add the number of assistants to their crew count?