BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Ok. biggrin.png This map game is proving really hit and miss (mostly miss.) I have to start inputting data in various maps to see what they will do or not do, in order to narrow down possibles.

It seems to be literally impossible to find free software that lets lots of different people map their full trip including points they have been through as well as their current location, so I am giving up on that part of it.

Now I am looking for software that will show current location for multiple entities, and let other people change their own location themselves.

So, if anyone who wishes to can post their boat location for me, I can work out inputting them and then allowing you to later edit it yourself.

**EDIT: I have a winner for the map.

Please lemme know your boat names and locations to be added, and I will pm you how to alter your own entry.

Edited by Starcoaster

Happy to bung in for the phone etc - at Hawne Basin or if we pass you

I hope people will buy you much beer and grub at the end for Services to BCN Journalism. Having threads on the forum means we and others can see em again in future as well as now. Good work -thank you.

Thanks all. If anyone wants to be added to the map, please pm me your boat name, and current location. Or in reality, you can give me any location you like just for me to set you up, then I can give you the edit link to alter your own pin yourself.

The map works with postcodes, addresses, and some place names- you can also click on the map to pick a spot.

Remember to update, or tell me you want me to do it and then stay in touch! :D

I will publish the map on the forum in a new thread in a day or so when it is all running smoothly.

Just to say the link you sent on Twitter @NBdieselanddust hasn't worked. Maybe try pm on here instead.

Also wanted to say a huge thanks for the time you're putting in to this and will definitely put some money in towards the phone and buy you a drink at the end.

Tom and Bex

Thanks all. If anyone wants to be added to the map, please pm me your boat name, and current location. Or in reality, you can give me any location you like just for me to set you up, then I can give you the edit link to alter your own pin yourself.

The map works with postcodes, addresses, and some place names- you can also click on the map to pick a spot.

Remember to update, or tell me you want me to do it and then stay in touch! biggrin.png

I will publish the map on the forum in a new thread in a day or so when it is all running smoothly.

A big thanks to Starry for finding a mapping solution and setting it up. I have set mine up now with pic and video etc, but on the setting the location, I can't see how you can do it by picking on the map, which is clearly the easier way to get a canal location. Any ideas how? I also note that you can only do the editing on a PC, it does not work on my phone, but viewing that map on a phone is fine.

Ok. biggrin.png This map game is proving really hit and miss (mostly miss.) I have to start inputting data in various maps to see what they will do or not do, in order to narrow down possibles.

It seems to be literally impossible to find free software that lets lots of different people map their full trip including points they have been through as well as their current location, so I am giving up on that part of it.

Now I am looking for software that will show current location for multiple entities, and let other people change their own location themselves.

So, if anyone who wishes to can post their boat location for me, I can work out inputting them and then allowing you to later edit it yourself.

**EDIT: I have a winner for the map.

Please lemme know your boat names and locations to be added, and I will pm you how to alter your own entry.

Hopefully you are sorted now, but it looks like www.followmee.com might do the business. You can download a free app for iphone, windows, windows phone, android, blackberry or kindle fire and it will upload your location to a google map. The map can be configured to display multiple users. The free version of the app only lasts for 15 days, and can only update its location every 30 minutes, but that should be OK for a one off event.

That said, I have tried to set up a map to show the location of my blackberry, but I cannot get the d*** thing to communicate with their servers. The FAQ does suggest this can be more of a problem for blackberry than other phones, so it might yet work for most folk.

Thanks for that. It would be a bit of a pain to change maps now, but I will look at it later and if it is better, see what we can do!

A big thanks to Starry for finding a mapping solution and setting it up. I have set mine up now with pic and video etc, but on the setting the location, I can't see how you can do it by picking on the map, which is clearly the easier way to get a canal location. Any ideas how? I also note that you can only do the editing on a PC, it does not work on my phone, but viewing that map on a phone is fine.

Ah, ok. you might have to do it by postcode or place name and moving it like that... It seems you cannot directly move the pin on the map without full admin power.

is it possible to park near Hawne Basin, i am sort of planning to park there and meet up with Reg in Gas Street, via taxi or bus, is this a workable plan?[/quote

Yes, as RLWP says, I'm sure they will let you park at Hawne Basin if you ask nicely. Then if you cross the canal, walk up the hill you will come out at a huge B&Q. Its then a long pretty straight road right into Broad Street. Don't have iinfo on buses I'm afraid but pretty sure itwould only be one bus ride given as its a major road straight into the city. Hope that helps

It's a straight ride from the bus stop there to broad street. From memory the number is 184? It tells you at the stop anyway.

Route 141 is what I should have said

Followmee looks great. We create one username and password, then we all log into it. Seems too simple to be true.

Walk to bus stop BR1 Brindley place, get bus 126 towards Digbeth.

Get off at Selfridges Digbeth (stop PA3) and pick up bus X20 towards Stratford.

Get off at the wharf, Hockley Heath.

The first bus goes very regularly, the second about every 50 mins.

Edited by Starcoaster

Walk to bus stop BR1 Brindley place, get bus 126 towards Digbeth.

Get off at Selfridges Digbeth (stop PA3) and pick up bus X20 towards Stratford.

Get off at the wharf, Hockley Heath.

The first bus goes very regularly, the second about every 50 mins.

Wow, that was quick! Thanks very much!

Whilst we are on the subject of buses. ...do any of you locals have any idea how I get from Gas Street to Hockley Heath tomorrow for my car shuffle?

Train or bus.

Not a great help Junior but the bus might take you an age due to the route out of the city centre so I would suggest the train personally unless the local locals know any different

Not a great help Junior but the bus might take you an age due to the route out of the city centre so I would suggest the train personally unless the local locals know any different

There you go, forget what I've just said :-)

Hopefully you are sorted now, but it looks like www.followmee.com might do the business. You can download a free app for iphone, windows, windows phone, android, blackberry or kindle fire and it will upload your location to a google map. The map can be configured to display multiple users. The free version of the app only lasts for 15 days, and can only update its location every 30 minutes, but that should be OK for a one off event.

I've just looked into this David, and it does not allow manual updating, so this won't be a goer as not everyone has access to the right device to use the system.

I have planned my route as a path in google adding waypoints and markers to the map.

I then switch off all the normal google earth tags and you can do a flyby of the route. I got bored then as it was taking too long to fly by the route but I am also now realising I can turn the whole thing into a bit of a story on the challenge by taking piccies on a gps enabled device along the way, then after the challenge removing the files and placing them on the map according to the co-ordinates thus creating a bit of a mini preview of our chosen route.

I have decided to take a break as a bit of excitement wee came out, finish work go home and I have more work to do unfortunately. Before I can get back to planning.....