BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Ok, REGINALD came up Farmer's Bridge on Saturday and is now holed up at Gas St fully fueled and ready for the start. Amazing trip, FAR more interesting than the pretty but boring Stratford canal. Didn't get pelted with stones either, as happened last time on the Stratford route!

MtB

P.S. Richard, can you bring that thermostat for the Gleniffer with you please? Many thanks...

Ok, REGINALD came up Farmer's Bridge on Saturday and is now holed up at Gas St fully fueled and ready for the start. Amazing trip, FAR more interesting than the pretty but boring Stratford canal. Didn't get pelted with stones either, as happened last time on the Stratford route!

MtB

P.S. Richard, can you bring that thermostat for the Gleniffer with you please? Many thanks...

Prince of Wales then?? Edited by cotswoldsman

We're experimenting with Twitter @NBdieselanddust (I think!) So will have to see how we go. Definitely think we need someone to collect all the info and post it here as well if possible.

Currently going down Watford locks after a slow trip along the Leicester line summit. I'm sure it's not normally this shallow but every other boat we passed put us aground - still good practice for the BCN!

Ok.

I have to do some paid work now, but I will be back properly later.

I will set up an "updates" thread here on the forum for the BCN later in the week.

I will maintain the Twitter account.

I will look at possibly setting up a BCN FB page if peole are interested?

All updates/goss that comes to me will all be posted on the forum BCN thread, not just Twitter/social media.

I have emailed the guy who runs the Water Explorer website to ask if there is any way we can use his software (or that he can recommend an alternative) to allow us to input/track the challenge's progress without seeing boats mapped that are not part of it. Investigations into other software to do this has come up not suitable so far.

I will acquire a new sim card I can use in an old phone, to be the "Challenge phone" for people to text/call with updates, gossip etc., that I can disseminate. I will post the number here publicly when this is done.

If anyone wants to contribute a quid or two to my buying a tenner of credit for this phone so that I can set up the sim and respond to messages, this would be welcome!

Anything else?

Edited by Starcoaster

That's bloody good going Starry! I'll offer a quid towards the phone if needed but it will have to be on the day.

IMO a Facebook page would be one thing too many. How many people are on FB but not on here or Twitter? If they are that interested they can join one or the other surely?

I'm also interested in looking at other participants progress during the challenge, and having to look in 3 different places just to make sure something is not missed is a PITA.

I will make sure that the forum is used as the core location, and anything will be duplicated rather than having different info in different places.

I am hoping some mapping software becomes apparent- this might also prove handy in terms of putting pepole in touch with others via the central phone if someone is having a problem- but that has yet to be seen!

For people that don't use twitter, you can still do searches on twitter, for example this is a search the will show the tweets with the hash tag #bcnchallege

Twitter Search for #bcnchallehge

I guess that is not really what, but it is seems simple and is no effort for anyone. You can obviously play with the url and do different queries.

You can also use a twitter widget and embed a search in to a web site, for example like this. To do that on here would need the admins to do it though.

Ok.

I have to do some paid work now, but I will be back properly later.

I will set up an "updates" thread here on the forum for the BCN later in the week.

I will maintain the Twitter account.

I will look at possibly setting up a BCN FB page if peole are interested?

All updates/goss that comes to me will all be posted on the forum BCN thread, not just Twitter/social media.

I have emailed the guy who runs the Water Explorer website to ask if there is any way we can use his software (or that he can recommend an alternative) to allow us to input/track the challenge's progress without seeing boats mapped that are not part of it. Investigations into other software to do this has come up not suitable so far.

I will acquire a new sim card I can use in an old phone, to be the "Challenge phone" for people to text/call with updates, gossip etc., that I can disseminate. I will post the number here publicly when this is done.

If anyone wants to contribute a quid or two to my buying a tenner of credit for this phone so that I can set up the sim and respond to messages, this would be welcome!

Anything else?

I will drop a few quid towards the phone, how do you want to be paid? Cash on the day or I can Paypal if needed?

Also what are peoples thoughts on average lock times?

I will drop a few quid towards the phone, how do you want to be paid? Cash on the day or I can Paypal if needed?

Also what are peoples thoughts on average lock times?

Awesome. A quid is appreciated, as I only want to put a tenner on the sim and lots of people will hopefully use it to check in!

Please pm me for paypal details.

• Greenie 1

What! You don't believe we are starting in Venice? I'm deeply wounded...

It's all part of the 'fun'

We will Twitter (when I remember), and I'm going to dig out stuff about active mapping

Richard

If you use,Facebook and use That hashing, it will recognise it - if that helps?

(I am as excited as all of you taking part), I will be following the hashing #bcnchallenge

Edited by StarUKKiwi

Right, I MAY be onto a winner with some mapping software. I have found a site that I hope will do it all, and set myself up as a "teacher" which allows me to add accounts for my "students," who can all then add data to the map.

If it works.

To find out if it does work, can anyone who wants to get in on the map lemme know, and lemme know what username you want- boat names will be best, I suppose.

Until I do this and add some people and see what they can do, I am not sure if this will be a goer, but I am getting there!

Right, I MAY be onto a winner with some mapping software. I have found a site that I hope will do it all, and set myself up as a "teacher" which allows me to add accounts for my "students," who can all then add data to the map.

If it works.

To find out if it does work, can anyone who wants to get in on the map lemme know, and lemme know what username you want- boat names will be best, I suppose.

Until I do this and add some people and see what they can do, I am not sure if this will be a goer, but I am getting there!

Im up for it boat name best I think,Carpe Vinum

I work here.

Was it still on all 4 wheels when you saw it?

No wheels that I saw it was however floating happily hundred yards or so from the Wharf a Hockley, we actually stopped for a few bevvies then headed back to Lady Lane (my home moorings)

Sounds like it's all coming together. One question though - do we use #bcnchallenge or @BCNchallenge when using Twitter?

Also feel free to use us (Diesel & Dust) to test the mapping software as well if you want as we're slowly making our way into Birmingham from Braunston.

Can't wait till the weekend now. First of our crew Steve (our official timekeeper) is joining us on Wednesday to help us up Hatton and the rest of the way to our start point so expect some last minute planning to be done. We have got it right that we can do the BCN locks in 3 minutes each haven't we :) if not our first draft route might have been a bit ambitious!

Tom and Bex

Edited by Tom and Bex