BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Aw, c'mon people. Not quite vomiting on the CEOs shoes must beat 'not moving' - surely.

Yeah, but your dog wasn't a cat. Richard likes cats, so Amy wins the pet award as he is the Law. You can have a special category for dogs. Or for pets that move.

We did:

Wolverhampton top lock (Broad st)

Horseley Fields

Deepfields Junction

Bradley workshop and back

Horseley Fields

Birchills Junction

Walsall locks and town arm and back

Pelsall

Cannock Extension

Catshill Junction

Anglesey basin and back

Daw end to Manor Arms and stop overnight

Rushall

Tame Valley to Ocker Hill

Ryders Green

New Main Line to Bromford

Spon Locks

Old Main Line to Oldbury

Titford locks and to Navigation and back

Old Main Line to Brades

Brades locks and Gower

New Main Line to Dudley Port

Netherton

Dudley number 2 to Hawne Basin

Richard

I'm sure if you PM Sarah AVFC she will show you the picture of the map of their route. It's not a secret as I've seen it somewhere already. Facebook maybe.

Here's our route starting at the Birchills Junction, we did about 70 miles and 65 locks.

Screen%20shot%202014-05-26%20at%2018.11.

Yeah, but your dog wasn't a cat. Richard likes cats, so Amy wins the pet award as he is the Law. Or for pets that move.

Amy the cat has been bloody dead for four and a half years, that's your granny's fur knickers you are cruising around with.

My tribute to Rik Mayall, apologies to Amy.

We started at Salford junction, up Perry Barr, Rushall, Daw end, Anglesey basin, missed out Cannock as running behind, Walsall including town basin, Ryders Green, Spon Lane, Titford, got to Brades and as we slowed for the junction still not sure which way we were going to take decided to go down Brades, Netherton tunnel, Parkhead, up to Dudley tunnel portal (not as far off fitting as I thought we would be - possible future challenge route with extra ballast?) and straight back to Hawne basin.

I think at least 2 other boats took almost identical routes.

We did the same with Cannock extension as well.

Same as you for us, other than excluding up to Park Head

I didn't think Albion is much more than Chalice's 50 feet, is it, or am I wrong?

So your 355-ish points versus our 330 would seem to indicate adding Park Head was really worthwhile, (particularly as we should have had a small concession for just 3 crew).

In reality, we could probably have done Park Head in time, but I expected a lot more congestion impeding the final run in through the tunnel - we actually experienced none, and arrived far too early.

(Still not early enough to get any of that beer though!).

Same as you for us, other than excluding up to Park Head

I didn't think Albion is much more than Chalice's 50 feet, is it, or am I wrong?

So your 355-ish points versus our 330 would seem to indicate adding Park Head was really worthwhile, (particularly as we should have had a small concession for just 3 crew).

In reality, we could probably have done Park Head in time, but I expected a lot more congestion impeding the final run in through the tunnel - we actually experienced none, and arrived far too early.

(Still not early enough to get any of that beer though!).

We did exactly the same route as Tom & Bex on Deisel & Dust, but with Cannock Extension as well. The trip to Dudly Tunnel scored on the way there and the way back. So it is interesting to know that if we were 70ft we would have come about the same position as them (questions pending) as they also had 4 crew the same as us I think.

I don't have my score sheet any more but I'd be curious to know if we could have gained any places by having only 3 crew instead of 4.

Edited by junior

We did exactly the same route as Tom & Bex on Deisel & Dust, but with Cannock Extension as well. The trip to Dudly Tunnel scored on the way there and the way back. So it is interesting to know that if we were 70ft we would have come about the same position as them (questions pending) as they also had 4 crew the same as us I think.

I don't have my score sheet any more but I'd be curious to know if we could have gained any places by having only 3 crew instead of 4.

3 crew would have got you a extra point per 10 locks.

3 crew would have got you a extra point per 10 locks.

Which is bugger all, really, or so it seems to me. You have to be better off with 6 crew than 3!

We knew what the rules were when we entered, (particularly the fact that it would be nigh damn impossible for anything but a full, or maybe near full, length boat to win), so we are not complaining, but another year it would be nice to have a crack at it in a playing field that is considerably more level.

Perhaps we will have found the illusive 70 (plus) footer by next year, in which case I'll then be strongly supporting that they retain the current advantage for long boats!

We did exactly the same route as Tom & Bex on Deisel & Dust, but with Cannock Extension as well.

I think Indigo Dream did the same but we also managed to go up the Ashted flight and then down Aston as that gave us an extra 17 locks, some with nice bonus points, just enough to get a 0.14 point lead! It was early in day so the crew were rested, amazingly efficient, keen and eager and with no procession to follow I think we did that lot in about 1.5 hours but like you don't have our scoring sheet and did not think to get the camera out.

Which is bugger all, really, or so it seems to me. You have to be better off with 6 crew than 3!

We knew what the rules were when we entered, (particularly the fact that it would be nigh damn impossible for anything but a full, or maybe near full, length boat to win), so we are not complaining, but another year it would be nice to have a crack at it in a playing field that is considerably more level.

Perhaps we will have found the illusive 70 (plus) footer by next year, in which case I'll then be strongly supporting that they retain the current advantage for long boats!

You could always hire a 70 footer.......

Hopefully the post-event analysis and various "what if" scenarios can be agglomerated into a slight modification of the points scoring for next year, for example the miles could be:

1 point per mile + 0.1 point for every foot over 57ft?

and the lock bonus could be

single handing -1.5 points per lock

2 crew - 1.25 points per lock

3 or more crew - 1 point per lock

Speaking as someone who did it with 2 crew, half the locks we were only a little slower than 3+ crew because of boats either coming the other direction, or large-crewed boats behind us, there to do some of the stuff. If we go up a flight on our own, there's the time penalty of the driver having to close gates (crew goes ahead). If we go down a flight, the driver goes ahead and has to set the next lock and open the gate, while the crew is behind the boat and closes up. Unless anyone does it a more efficient way (leaving all the gates and paddles open?)

I believe 3 crew could, if well organised, do locks only very marginally slower than 4+ crew so long as the driver also does his/her bit.

The main advantage to 4+ crew is that they can do 'shifts' through the night and get better rest in between their watches. We were REALLY hampered by only being able to take a 6 hour break and were completely knackered even with a 8.5 hour break, maybe partly due to the weather.

If a picture is available on the Internet (public domain) it can be used as an illustration in a discussion, under the 'fair use' rules. As far as practicable , copy right or ownership should be acknowledged as a courtesy.

This is of course completely different from using such images and pretending they belong to you.

Can you give me a reference please? I have been reading the fair use situation and it specifically mentions part of the work and says in the FAQs the more you use the less fair it is.

A photograph is a whole of the work so how is it within part or the more use use the less fair surely kicks in as you are using all of it.

I would agree from my reading what you say certainly applies to written work but I can't find anything which suggests it applies to images and I can't see how "using part" can possibly apply to a whole photo. Enlightenment by a reference would be very much appreciated.

Edit: Reading a little more I have found this statement. On a UK gov site 'Fair Dealing' does not cover images found through an image search engine.

Edited by Jerra

I can't find a reference, but my experience with scale model building, and the accompanying discussions about correctness of detail, and endless discussion of historical (military) subjects, used many images that would be found on the Internet, which would be credited to the owner/source, as appropriate. Items posted on the Internet, for all to see, are deemed free for use in discussions, as if one would post a link instead. This is different from (re)posting an image, and pretending it's yours. The point is, the image is freely available to view, and posting it in a discussion simply negates the need for people to link and leave the discussion.

But no, sorry, I don't have a reference to this to hand.

Hi all,

I'd just like to add our grateful thanks to the (tiny) BCNS organising team for this year's Challenge for a great event but also to all at Hawne Basin for their great reception and hospitality.

We started at Merry Hill and all went according to plan until we were half way up the Crow when the heavens really opened. Unfortunately, our waterproofs proved not to be up to the required task and we ended soaked to the skin! Consequently, having been pretty hard aground near the Navigation, and with a monumental blade full, enthusiasm began to wane somewhat and even the range was lit.

However, dry (and waterproof) clothing restored order but time was now passing and the original plans to head North via Ryders Green had to be abandoned. Instead, Trev and I continued via the Engine Arm, Spon Lane and Factory 3 to the Fountain at Tipton. An early start saw us up the Bradley Arm and then back via the Old Main line and the Gower - where Tawny appeared from the other direction.

Then a steady procession towards Gosty Hill. Plus a short(ish) precautionary stop to dismantle the deckboard prior to the tunnel.

The return trip to base was aided by some very good friends who really assisted greatly.

So, although we didn't achieve all that we'd hoped, it was a very enjoyable event, revisiting some canals which I haven't seen for almost 40 years, meeting new friends and enjoying good company. Also taking Crane on many waterways that must have been familiar territory to her in the past. (Plus, of course, mandatory visits to Ma Pardoes and the Bull & Bladder not to mention the Prince of Wales at Cambrian Wharf!)

We're looking forward to next year already!

Geoff

Spending the night in Wednesbury, I had a wander down the canal, and how can anybody not use a canal that good? Hard edges, wide canal, junctions... Only thing missing seems enough boats moored along.

Oh, I did see a fridge in the middle of the canal ;)

Just a thought......

We are all thanking the organising team and Hawne Basin on here, do any of them know about the tread or have the means with viewing it?

Yes. A contributor to this thread is a significant member of the BCNS

Richard