BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Very interesting pic Ray. I've always disliked placing my stern line on the slide hatch or on the roof, this looks like a more convenient place to store it.

I doubt my modern line will form a nice loop like in your photo though. Far too floppy.. And it's black not white. Nor does the line in your photo appear to be the stern line...

(Should I give up now...?)

MtB

Very interesting pic Ray. I've always disliked placing my stern line on the slide hatch or on the roof, this looks like a more convenient place to store it.

I doubt my modern line will form a nice loop like in your photo though. Far too floppy.. And it's black not white. Nor does the line in your photo appear to be the stern line...

(Should I give up now...?)

MtB

Possibly a tow line from a horse?

I does look as though the boat is moving, a spare tow line perhaps?

Unless it is a "posed" photo, I doubt we will ever know.

Edited by Ray T

great bit of information Ray - love the photos, did you take the black and white ones? you will have the copyright brigade after you if not - lol - (Only joking guys) ;@P

I claim the 5th amendment of the American Constitution. judge.gif

"The Amendment also provides several trial protections, including the right against self-incrimination."

Edited by Ray T

If a picture is available on the Internet (public domain) it can be used as an illustration in a discussion, under the 'fair use' rules. As far as practicable , copy right or ownership should be acknowledged as a courtesy.

This is of course completely different from using such images and pretending they belong to you.

I didn't know that, thank you Ray

Anyone at Hawne Basin on Monday morning would have seen Andy on Dove demonstrating the use of the cabin rings as he turned out of his mooring.

Richard

Just make this clear (due to reading the above wrong the first time), I used the backend line to get out of the mooring. :)

Andrew

That was a most elegant departure, Andrea steering and Andy on rope .

Working boats do have a form of bow thruster, it's a great long pole . No electricity or hydraulics , usually powered by beer and meat pies.

I was most impressed by the teamwork , Boris would have argued about the best way to do it and then let go of the rope at the wrong time and probably fallen in just to put the icing on the cake.

Edit , Cobbett bow thruster is an excellent thing , in a crowded basin with a tricky wind blowing especially so.

Edited by madcat

Because Dove's bow would only be two inches in the water?

Richard

And therein lies the point. Making the very short couple between the prop and the dolley worked because there wasn't much drag from the un-ballasted bow. I doubt it would work so well on a leisure narrowboat.

Do you use the trick of reversing against a line from the stern bollard? It's a neat way of putting the bow out

Richard

No, the trouble with that against a concrete jetty is that it graunches our shiny tunnel band paint. Instead I used fwd with the offside dolly tied. There was certainly a turning couple, but I suspect if there had been any significant "onshore wind" it wouldn't have worked

The delay in obtaining the results is not good.

It is time to change the system so that the results are available quickly. Each boat should know its nominal placing to date within 30 mins of finishing, and the running placings should be available throughout the afternoon/ evening as the final boats come in.

That means each boat must do its own scoring and that means that they need to be given the answers to questions on arrival & be trusted not to phone them to not-yet-finishers. It also means the log needs to be redrafted to be much more user friendly.

A big increase in trust will be required.

It is a bit early to require all competitors to be online for the finish but that day will come and make it much easier to administrate.

Perhaps early finishers should be called upon to help? The present system may have served well in the past but it now needs improving.