BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

OK, so son asked a question. I'm sure it must be in the thread somewhere, but...

If you have anyone come along and assist your crew, even for a while, they are added into your crew count.

What happens if a boat doing the challenge are working up a flight of locks and assist the crew in front/behind. Does the assisted boat have to add the number of assistants to their crew count?

Officially, yes.

In practice, who is going to refuse a paddle being lifted...?

Depends how close rob finish is I suppose!

Could we go public with our start points? Or is it a big no-no and part of the fun/mystery to just see who else turns up?

At least if there is 20 of us who have chosen the same place we can sort out some sort of way of deciding who goes first.

Could we go public with our start points? Or is it a big no-no and part of the fun/mystery to just see who else turns up?

At least if there is 20 of us who have chosen the same place we can sort out some sort of way of deciding who goes first.

Good job I've not told you our latest starting point.

Officially, yes.

In practice, who is going to refuse a paddle being lifted...?

Depends how close rob finish is I suppose!

Curses, you've given away Team Tawny Owl's dirty trick. We mob hand every crew at locks to bring their crew up to ten

Again, it hasn't really mattered in the past. Being helped through locks by people who are clearly not your crew is just courtesy. Sending someone around the network to set flights for you would be unsporting

Richard

This is another new one. There haven't been many forum boats before, so the opportunity to share starts wasn't really there. And with only around twenty boats, having a lot of people starting in the same place hasn't arisen

Richard

I never do fisticuffs, I always settle for the more manly approach of "Feather dusters at 50 yards"

smile.png

Nonsense! I've seen Clarrie, you'd never get a 50 yard long duster on board

Richard

Surely its easily solved by being nearest the start, eg for most of them, mooring on the lock landing? Or moored nudged up against the gates in the mouth of the lock?

Or, possibly, who turned up at the lock landing first? Because otherwise I could wait just around the corner, and blithely sail past you at 8 am.

Am I in danger of taking this seriously?

I received this message from Brenda at the BCNS. Usual replacements in the email address so he doesn't get spammed. Posted in the crew swap section but Junior suggested I add it here too....

Bernard Hales bernard at enterpriseno1 dot co dot uk> wrote:

I am advised by friends that Geoff Bailey is looking for a replacement crew for 'Crane', setting off from Stockton shortly.

So a lot of winding to do before the start to warm up!

Anyone not already involved in crewing a boat but wants to take part, please contact me or Geoff direct.

Many thanks,

Bernard Hales.

Apologies, All.

I haven't got the hang of this yet! Especially not from an iPhone!

Very grateful to Bernard for helping me with my crewing shortages. But the Challenge itself isn't a problem. The Challenge is already covered (Gilly, Trev and Dave Moore.) It's moving Crane from Stockton to Birmingham that's the difficulty. My original crew have succumbed to a broken elbow and an obvious need to tend the invalid!

At the moment, I'm at The top of the Cape and looking forward to Hatton in the morning!

Can't guarantee to have constant web access but a message via Bernard is probably the best way.

Thanks a lot,

Geoff

On the subject of multiple boats starting near a lock at the same time, don't forget it doesn't matter too much when you start. You could for example take an hour's rest at the start, thus effectively starting at 9am. Ok you lose an hour's sleep over night but then if there is more than 1 of you, you can take shifts.

Should I be worried that we seem to be about a day behind all the boats heading into Birmingham from the south! Currently enjoying live music, beer and free Wi Fi at the Two Boats Inn, long Itchington. Planning on tackling Hatton first thing Thursday morning when Steve our official timekeeper arrives!

Tom and Bex

In 2011 we started at the same point as Capt Ahab so we put laxative in their coffee, let them go first and had a 10 minute rest break.

I must admit to not being on twitter or facebook but will ask Sue to use @bcnchallenge when she tweets. She will be trying to maintain a live blog at http://indigodream.wordpress.com

If anyone can spare a pound or two we are still fundraising at http://www.justgiving.com/indigodream or if you are clever there are QR codes to scan here:

sponsor-card-email.jpg

For those interesting the dog crew will be Herbie (No. 2 from the right), Archie (No. 4 from the right), Henry (No. 5 from the right) and Rosie (yet to figure in a group photo).

Many thanks!

I always let "The Cat that walks....." go first as he is so nice he helps Alison my wife through the locks.

smile.png

Nonsense! I've seen Clarrie, you'd never get a 50 yard long duster on board

Richard

Quite right there Richard. We stand 50 yards apart and throw the feather dusters at each other. It's the only sporting thing to do. By Jove it can get dangerous.

smile.png

Edited by Laurie.Booth

On the subject of multiple boats starting near a lock at the same time, don't forget it doesn't matter too much when you start. You could for example take an hour's rest at the start, thus effectively starting at 9am. Ok you lose an hour's sleep over night but then if there is more than 1 of you, you can take shifts.

Not a cat in hells chance anyone could sleep within 50m of my boat when the engine is running!

Or, possibly, who turned up at the lock landing first? Because otherwise I could wait just around the corner, and blithely sail past you at 8 am.

Are all the start points locks? I'm sure one of the designated bonus start points is a junction?

Apologies, All.

I haven't got the hang of this yet! Especially not from an iPhone!

Very grateful to Bernard for helping me with my crewing shortages. But the Challenge itself isn't a problem. The Challenge is already covered (Gilly, Trev and Dave Moore.) It's moving Crane from Stockton to Birmingham that's the difficulty. My original crew have succumbed to a broken elbow and an obvious need to tend the invalid!

At the moment, I'm at The top of the Cape and looking forward to Hatton in the morning!

Can't guarantee to have constant web access but a message via Bernard is probably the best way.

Thanks a lot,

Geoff

Is waiting till Thursday and coming up with Diesel and Dust an option, or will this mean you can't get to your desired starting point in time.

If not we can probably give you a hand, what time would you like to start.

We could probably help both up on Thursday morning if that works for you.

Sue

Not a cat in hells chance anyone could sleep within 50m of my boat when the engine is running!

Ah the joys of a smooth (aligned by my own fair hand) sweet jap engine purring restfully away... Zzzzz often puts me to sleep. And that's when I am supposed to be driving!

Are all the start points locks? I'm sure one of the designated bonus start points is a junction?

No, but a couple are. Wolverhampton top lock also is, but you are going to be travelling away from the locks. At Salford Jn you could set out one of 2 ways, though it has to be said that both of them have locks pretty close by. Edited by nicknorman

I dunno about that. We take it all very seriously on NB Cobbett. Well, that is when we're not giggling ourselves stupid, drowning in tea or have heads down the weedhatch. Honestly, you want to plan to be third through a lock or bridge because the first boat slowly stirs up the crud, the second picks it up and the third flies through smiling and waving. Hence, there's no real advantage in being first or second. Be last amongst equals, that's the Cobbett Philosophy ...