greenies for mods

davidc

Featured Posts

hope this is the correct place for this question

When a mod locks a thread why can we not show or support by be giving them a greenie?

I can understand mods not having greenies. You are showing your support now. I was toying with sending a PM until I saw this thread.

I can understand mods not having greenies. You are showing your support now. I was toying with sending a PM until I saw this thread.

I just thought as the mod's some time come in to some stick

I just want a way to say thanks you are doing a good job

• Greenie 1

I presume you are referring to the locking of the "So much for the boating community 2" thread.

I applaud the early locking of the thread but, when I saw it, I was a little worried by the "got it". Made the tone unnecessarily heavy handed, if not rude, in my opinion. It was like being shouted at by my mum

• Greenie 1

hope this is the correct place for this question

When a mod locks a thread why can we not show or support by be giving them a greenie?

None of the site crew/admin can either award or receive 'greenies'

seems a shame.

It's not the same on another forum I regularly visit.

There are two ways on there you can 'add to a post' without actually posting. One option is you like/unlike a post and the other is you can 'thank' for a post. You do this in a similar way to 'awarding a grennie' on here. All the Mods can do both and receive the same for posts they have made.

There must however be a reason for it not being possible on here and it's probably been explained before but I can't recall the explanation.

I presume you are referring to the locking of the "So much for the boating community 2" thread.

I applaud the early locking of the thread but, when I saw it, I was a little worried by the "got it". Made the tone unnecessarily heavy handed, if not rude, in my opinion. It was like being shouted at by my mum

Carefully considered prose is just not gonna happen when I get a reported post and have a minute to deal with it, just as I'm about to go out, so if I come across as rude now and again, then so be it.

Carefully considered prose is just not gonna happen when I get a reported post and have a minute to deal with it, just as I'm about to go out, so if I come across as rude now and again, then so be it.

Gosh!

You sound like my mum again. "That's the way it is, like it or lump it"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and protest.

Is it not incumbent on moderators to set the tone for the forum?

How can a moderator do what is required for the forum, including dealing with rudeness from posters, if they say that it is ok for them to be rude themselves?

Gosh!

You sound like my mum again. "That's the way it is, like it or lump it"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and protest.

Is it not incumbent on moderators to set the tone for the forum?

How can a moderator do what is required for the forum, including dealing with rudeness from posters, if they say that it is ok for them to be rude themselves?

Ahh, but is the rudeness in what the moderator said, or how you read it? Your reference to your Mum suggests a lot of transference there

Richard

Smart Aleck and of course I'm aware of the transference though the reference to my mum was mostly (though not entirely) tongue in cheek.

Of course, also, the perception of rudeness lies with the receiver to some extent.

However I do think think that Lady Muck, in her dealings with forum members, can be heavy handed in her tone. The fact that two people agreed with me enough to give me a greenie indicates that I'm not alone

I say again the mods get stick for some decisions but as been said as there no greenie there never know how much support is there,

I would say about 95 percent of the time there get it right because there are picked for the way there have behaved as a normal forum member.

It is the easiest thing in the world to criticize when you do not have to make the decision or take the heat.

We have all seen what has happened in other forums when mods have done nothing or support the bullies because there them selves are afraid.

Well carry on the good work our mods.

• Greenie 2

Smart Aleck and of course I'm aware of the transference though the reference to my mum was mostly (though not entirely) tongue in cheek.

Of course, also, the perception of rudeness lies with the receiver to some extent.

However I do think think that Lady Muck, in her dealings with forum members, can be heavy handed in her tone. The fact that two people agreed with me enough to give me a greenie indicates that I'm not alone

Barry I am happy to confirm I was one of the members who gave you a 'greenie' as I agree the mods. do and should help to set the tone of a forum.

I do also sympathise with the problem a mod. may have though particularly if they are hanging on the end of a flakey internet connection. I would describe LM's post as a bit abrupt rather than rude, its about the perception of the person on the receiving end though as you say.

Some may be surprised to know that I moderate on another (non boating) forum. I do however have a completely different 'persona' as a mod than I do as a lowly forum member. Being a member rather than a mod. means you can (if you want) push the boundaries a bit whereas being a mod. you perhaps cannot.

I also have the advantage that the section I mod is very low traffic with only about three or four posts a day, six Max. The members are also pretty well behaved compared o lots on of us on here.

On balance I think the all mods. on here do a brilliant job, sometimes we perhaps we need to cut 'em some slack if one of them appears a bit tetchy.

Besides...who wouldn't like to be ticked off by a stern lady pirate now and then..;)

My mum would have made a good mod, although I think she was really a rocker at heart as she liked motor bikes, pillion riding only though cos she never grasped the knack of balancing and riding any two wheeled machine. However whenever I visited them even at 50 odd years old she would as soon as I entered the door start on me by picking bits off my clothes, tucking my shirt in, pulling my pullover down and then out would come the dreaded comb. All this happened in the hallway en-route to the kitchen. She nagged my dad something terrible too but he said he enjoyed it, ''got it''. mellow.png

Kudos (that is the proper, cool expression no?) to all CWDF moderatorsclapping.gif.

I have been known to PM a thank you to a Mod. and I did so in response to a recent thread being locked. I insisted that they not spend their valuable time replying to me.

As Martin (TDH) says, ideally a moderator should have a separate identity so that they can post as an individual or as a moderator but this adds complications.

I have a role as a moderator for a very small group, a club with <100 members. I can warn members using various identities but they all know and trust me, Alan.

When the need arises I can alternatively identify myself as a Director, Moderator or Webmaster - if in doubt I will first hide the unacceptable post, then contact the owner, other moderators and Directors for their advice.

I propose a big vote of confidence and thanks to all CDF moderators. I hope Jon is pleased with what he started and that Dhutch is not regretting his ownership of the site. CWDF may claim to be the best UK canal forum but I think it is probably also the best boating forum.

Alan

• Greenie 1