Spicy Potato Cakes

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Mix some mashed potato with a spoon of flour, egg, fried onions and chilli.

Form into balls and squash flat. Fry over a high heat until browned

5876_686237388095572_2019648420_n.jpg

Seen served here with some lemon and black pepper dusted basa fillets and a selection of vegetables but can be served with a variety of other meals.

Our fish monger introduced us to Basa (or River Cobbler as it is often called) a few years back. We love it as an alternative to more common white fish such as haddock, cod, whiting, etc.

We get a big bag of Basa fillets (usually about 10 or so decent fillets) for about £6 so its less than a £1 fish laugh.png

Seen here with a light dusting of lemon and pepper flour. YUMMY!

Our fish monger introduced us to Basa (or River Cobbler as it is often called) a few years back. We love it as an alternative to more common white fish such as haddock, cod, whiting, etc.

We get a big bag of Basa fillets (usually about 10 or so decent fillets) for about £6 so its less than a £1 fish laugh.png

Seen here with a light dusting of lemon and pepper flour. YUMMY!

I like fish but never heard of it but will try to get some from a fish monger any other tips on cooking it

basa is a lovely fish and easy to cook.very flavorful for a white fish.i think its the same as what the Americans call catfish but comes from Vietnam. paul

I suppose that is one way to conserve North Sea fish stocks ship fish over to Lincolnshire from Vietnam . Not sure it does much for the Grimsby fishermens jobs though .

basa is a lovely fish and easy to cook.very flavorful for a white fish.i think its the same as what the Americans call catfish but comes from Vietnam. paul

It is farm-bred in sewage and tastes of nothing at all in my experience. I prefer proper fish, like COD!

MtB

They were a tad on the spicy side, bit too heavy handed with the chilli this time but they were wolfed down non the less.

You know, I would never put you down as a "Domestic goddess". But my view has changed!

Cheap fish fingers as can be had for about 60p for a packet of 10 at supermarkets are made with Alaskan Pollock, so the packet says, I soak em for a bit in a sweet'n'sour mixture before grilling, they're really nice.

I expect you believed the tesco beefburgers were made with beef too, own up!!

detective.gif

MtB

I expect you believed the tesco beefburgers were made with beef too, own up!!

detective.gif

MtB

Well I've dissected a couple minutely to check, picked and poked em about and I'd say they're constructed of fish all right, the fish fingers that is not the beef burgers which I never buy, it only takes a minute or two to make your own, and much tastier too.

Basa fillets? What's a basa fish?

Looks YUMMY!

MtB

make up your mind.

The spud recipe looks yummy, not the £1 fsh.

I tried the spud idea tonight. FANTASTIC! (I left out the egg and flour though.)

But the wind was incredible. It finally forced me to get up. This is why I'm posting at stupid o'clock this morning... ;)

MtB