CRT Press Release - Spreading the work about the demands of living afloat

Leo No2

Featured Posts

CANAL & RIVER TRUST SPREADING THE WORD ABOUT DEMANDS OF LIVING AFLOAT

The Canal & River Trust is reminding people taking up a new liveaboard lifestyle on its canals, but without a home mooring, to think carefully about the demands of living afloat through a series of awareness-raising measures.

In some popular areas, this style of living is on the increase and the Trust is concerned that the newcomers may not be aware of or fully understand the requirement for bona fide navigation and may believe it is sufficient simply to move around within a small area. Some therefore get a shock when they find that they are in breach of the rules, while the Trust is forced to embark on a time-consuming and costly enforcement process.

The Trust is working to raise awareness of these constraints amongst home-seekers and boat sales advertisers. It is also aiming to provide clearer information to the floating community so, from January 2014, will be contacting everyone newly registering as a continuous cruiser to ensure they fully understand the requirements. After three months, if there is concern about a boats limited movement, the charity will send a reminder and invitation to contact the local enforcement officer to discuss the cruising pattern. Ultimately if they cant meet the movement requirements they will need to get a home mooring before their licence can be renewed.

Sally Ash, head of boating at the Canal & River Trust, said: We want people thinking of living afloat to be fully aware of the challenges, as well as the benefits, before taking the leap. We hope that, by spreading the message widely, people wont end up making a costly mistake. Our new step of contacting every new continuous cruiser will help them in their new lifestyle, without falling foul of the enforcement procedures needed to manage the waterways fairly for everyone. We hope that, by keeping people informed, they will use the waterways responsibly, so they can be enjoyed by everybody.

As long as it remains objective yes it's a good idea.

Of course the problem will be that the very small minority of people who don't want to learn or understand the issues posed will chose not to attend. Most responsible people will/should do their research any way and this will be one part of it.

Sally Ash, head of boating at the Canal & River Trust, said: We want people thinking of living afloat to be fully aware of the challenges, as well as the benefits, before taking the leap. We hope that, by spreading the message widely, people wont end up making a costly mistake. Our new step of contacting every new continuous cruiser will help them in their new lifestyle, without falling foul of the enforcement procedures needed to manage the waterways fairly for everyone. We hope that, by keeping people informed, they will use the waterways responsibly, so they can be enjoyed by everybody.

I suppose that is a step in the right direction, but that kind of information needs to be available before anyone makes the decision to buy a boat for the purpose of living aboard.

But what Sally Ash said appears to address the issue after the horse has bolted through the stable door, rather than before it becomes an issue.

There must be a better way of publicising this.......... any suggestions?

I suppose that is a step in the right direction, but that kind of information needs to be available before anyone makes the decision to buy a boat for the purpose of living aboard.

But what Sally Ash said appears to address the issue after the horse has bolted through the stable door, rather than before it becomes an issue.

How does CRT know if someone is buying a boat to live on it?

They could try brokers, marina etc, but they're just interested in selling the boat and getting a commission. They're certainly not going to try to put people off.

Surely anyone even thinking about buying a boat to live on would do some research first. As all the rules and regulations and guidlines are in the public domain I think that the CaRT are being quite reasonable.

Dave

I think that taking a proactive approach, rather than assuming that someone has done their research is a much better way forward.

At the end of the day, they (CRT) will have a record of who has had the information and, when the CC'er 'bends' the rules, they can turn round and say "you had the information and have no excuse"

As Trento say's, "For some.... The noose tightens"

Surely anyone even thinking about buying a boat to live on would do some research first. As all the rules and regulations and guidlines are in the public domain I think that the CaRT are being quite reasonable.

Dave

You would hope so but there are many that do not or so it seems.

Anecdotal:

The lady who bought a boat and on first going on board said, " It rocks about, I cannot stay on it"

Supposedly she had only seen boats on hard standing at shows.

They could try brokers, marina etc, but they're just interested in selling the boat and getting a commission. They're certainly not going to try to put people off.

The statement says "from January 2014, will be contacting everyone newly registering as a continuous cruiser to ensure they fully understand the requirements."

As a few have said, seems like a sensible approach.

Dave

Don't get me wrong. I do think CaRT are being reasonable.

As to *anyone thinking etc*, a lot of the research seems to be along the lines of *what can I get away with*, rather than what must I do.

After three months, if there is concern about a boats limited movement, the charity will send a reminder and invitation to contact the local enforcement officer to discuss the cruising pattern

Maybe this initiative will lead to a clear definition of what is 'acceptable movement' so that everyone will know what is expected

• Greenie 1

You've only got to see some of the people who pop up on the forum ostensibly asking for advice who reply to any thing that they don't see as 100% positive by saying "Ah, all you have to do is... and it will be fine smile.png ".

Lots of people do their research by asking someone else. If the person they ask is sailing close to the wind, then that is the advice that they will get. However, you can't just get brokers to hand out information, as many boats change hands privately.

Forewarned is forearmed, it`s difficult not to infringe a few bye laws here and there but it`s good to know which ones. In the bad old days of BWB you just assumed that everything was an offence.

After three months, if there is concern about a boats limited movement, the charity will send a reminder and invitation to contact the local enforcement officer to discuss the cruising pattern

Maybe this initiative will lead to a clear definition of what is 'acceptable movement' so that everyone will know what is expected

But BW set out a fairly clear definition many years ago. Unfortunately, it has been watered down many times since - to the stage where bridge hopping every 14 days within a 5 mile radius seems to be completely acceptable!

And *after 3 months ......an invitation to contact* sounds to me like consideration on an individual basis rather than proper, and clearly defined, enforceable guidelines.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to charge everyone without a home mooring either a non-residential or a residential mooring fee?

Forewarned is forearmed, it`s difficult not to infringe a few bye laws here and there but it`s good to know which ones. In the bad old days of BWB you just assumed that everything was an offence.

I don't agree. I think people had a bit more respect for the rules then.

But BW set out a fairly clear definition many years ago. Unfortunately, it has been watered down many times since - to the stage where bridge hopping every 14 days within a 5 mile radius seems to be completely acceptable!

This was why I asked the question - I seem to remember towards the end of last year that a figure of 20km's (or maybe 20 miles) per year had been quoted by C&RT as a guideline for CC compliance.

Anecdotally, I think it is said that some brokers think that maybe 4 out of every 5 boats they are selling are to potential live-aboards, many of whom will not I think initially be planning to find a home mooring.

I can't see brokers wanting to "educate" people in the potential difficulties they might face, if that could put off anything up to 80% of those buying boats from them.

Licence numbers for boats declared as having no home moorings continue to grow, whereas those for boat that do are in slow decline.

This was why I asked the question - I seem to remember towards the end of last year that a figure of 20km's (or maybe 20 miles) per year had been quoted by C&RT as a guideline for CC compliance.

Yes, but isn't that daft? I'm sure the average leisure boater with a *paid for* home mooring will be travelling much further than that each year. The whole concept of Continuous Cruisers being on a continuous journey on the waterways network seems to have gone out of the window these days?

• Greenie 1

Wouldn't it be simpler just to charge everyone without a home mooring either a non-residential or a residential mooring fee?

It would be simpler but what does it actually achieve? Is it a payment for non-compliance? People would still need to obey the rules of the land, after all. And there would a large swell of "unfair" from many boaters, partially justified.

CRT have NEVER given distance figures, in determining compliance or not of the rules. In fact they have deliberately mentioned (in their latest guidelines) that giving a distance is inappropriate. They have published papers (basically, to show openness of the enforcement process) where they can quantify the worst of the piss-takers by determining they've moved little, or not at all, in a long period of time. If this is 20km/year then all it is is an arbitrary line, lower than which they'll focus their efforts more. After all, its possible to cruise 3000km/year and still be non-compliant, by stopping for 15 days in one place, if one follows the letter of the law.

CRT have NEVER given distance figures, in determining compliance or not of the rules. In fact they have deliberately mentioned (in their latest guidelines) that giving a distance is inappropriate. They have published papers (basically, to show openness of the enforcement process) where they can quantify the worst of the piss-takers by determining they've moved little, or not at all, in a long period of time. If this is 20km/year then all it is is an arbitrary line, lower than which they'll focus their efforts more. After all, its possible to cruise 3000km/year and still be non-compliant, by stopping for 15 days in one place, if one follows the letter of the law.

Going on an old thread where letters were sent out to boaters :

'jenlyn', Posted on 21 Nov 2012 - 11:11 AM, :

The only reference to a minimum 30km distance, comes from letters sent to boaters a few months back. Who were told they had not travelled more than 30km, which was unacceptable. I questioned Ivor Caplan on it and got this reply

"I am sure that you and all genuine CCers would agree that 30km is a reasonable minimum distance to progress in one year ".

I took this reply as an endorsement to the distance being used in the letters.

and then :

'jenlyn' Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

I will ask Sally ash at the meeting if 30km is indeed the goal. To be honest though, I don't think they will confirm it outright, i shouldn't imagine they would want anyone using it as a precedent.

I think it's a very reasonable distance myself and should be looked at as "the best your going to get", abide by it, or suffer a harder line.

Edited by Alan de Enfield