Stuff you need:

to Serve 4

An oven proof casserole

Sausages for 4 peeps

4 rashers streaky bacon; chopped

1 medium to large chopped onion

Garlic to taste, chopped fine

4 oz lentils - red, green, hulled Dals or mixed assortments of lentils all work

1 tin cheapo Tomatoes, sorted out to remove the extra skin etc that makes them cheapo, then chopped up a bit

1 tsp sugar

1 stock cube ( any variety seems to be OK but I usually use Knorr Chicken or Vegetable)

Salt and Pepper

Put the oven on at 150C;

Put the casserole in while the oven is warming up;

Simmer the lentils in a pan with the tomatoes, sugar, stock cube and 3/4 pt boiling water for 20 mins or until the lentils are softened. Red ones take about 15 mins, green ones about 30mins;

Brown the sausages, transfer to casserole;

lightly fry the bacon, onion and garlic, transfer to casserole;

Stir in the lentil mixture

Season with salt and pepper

Cover and put the casserole in the oven for 35-40 minutes. If it's too runny toward the end remove the lid for a bit.

Serve with rice, pasta or crusty bread ( Ciabatta works well for us). Oh, and lots of some red wine

N

Dave here,

I love the sound of this, but then I love anything in the stew\casserole\goulash\slow cook range. Bettie Boo on the other hand is Canadian, that means slabs of meat and minimal veggies. Her version of (Canadian) stew is an absolute abomination, put it this way, it featured, huge chunks of cabbage in a clear, thin, tasteless, liquid.

Stuff like swede or turnip is "Cow food" ( don't ask, it involves a traumatic childhood incident, when she lived on a dairy farm her father managed and found out what the cows were fed in winter).

As for treats such as dumplings (Yum!), she finds them appalling, though she does love Yorkshire pudding, (unheard of in Canada apparently).

I will now retreat and start licking wounds that will undoubtedly be inflicted once Bettie Boo finds this post.

It's fair to say that was when she first came over here, these days she's far more sensible, but anything involving wine, or any other alcohol, she'll reject outright, though she eats it just fine when I cook it and not mention the fact.

All good things, DaveGood

Edited by Bettie Boo

I cooked Yorkshire puddings for my now ex fiancee and his Mother while living in America. Once they got over their disappointment that they were a savoury dish and not a sweet, they couldn't get enough of them. They were equally enamored of impressing our other local friends with the fact that Yorkshire puddings are essentially made out of pancake batter, and yet end up totally different.

Dave here,

I love the sound of this, but then I love anything in the stew\casserole\goulash\slow cook range. Bettie Boo on the other hand is Canadian, that means slabs of meat and minimal veggies. Her version of (Canadian) stew is an absolute abomination, put it this way, it featured, huge chunks of cabbage in a clear, thin, tasteless, liquid.

Stuff like swede or turnip is "Cow food" ( don't ask, it involves a traumatic childhood incident, when she lived on a dairy farm her father managed and found out what the cows were fed in winter).

As for treats such as dumplings (Yum!), she finds them appalling, though she does love Yorkshire pudding, (unheard of in Canada apparently).

I will now retreat and start licking wounds that will undoubtedly be inflicted once Bettie Boo finds this post.

It's fair to say that was when she first came over here, these days she's far more sensible, but anything involving wine, or any other alcohol, she'll reject outright, though she eats it just fine when I cook it and not mention the fact.

It's really great to read your conjoined posts - taking care to see who is the author at the time!!

Dave, you have to realise that folks from across the pond (both North and South) are really deprived of the finer things in life - especially if they're west of Toronto and the 401. SO they have to be gently coaxed into the "proper way of living".

Remember always it's because of the flies that everything has to be pulled out of the freezer and instantly incinerated...

Dave here,

He he he ...... Oldgoat,

Bettie Boo was raised right out in the sticks, so much so that when a child, somtime she'd fall asleep in the winter, and awake to ice and frost inside the room. She's had over thirty years in the "hospitality" industry, in Canada and here. The lady helped run one of the toughest bars in the highest crime rate areas of a working class city out there, she's run some of the halls in the biggest conference\recreational centre in this country, and she got from there to here via a worldwide hotel chain. She knows how to cook, she knows all about fine dining and silver service and how Lobsters should be cooked and served.

She knows Bo**cks about about stews and casseroles but unlike me, she's not so stubborn she's unwilling to learn.

All the best

DaveGood

Edited by Bettie Boo

Dave here,

I love the sound of this, but then I love anything in the stew\casserole\goulash\slow cook range. Bettie Boo on the other hand is Canadian, that means slabs of meat and minimal veggies. Her version of (Canadian) stew is an absolute abomination,Dave's idea of stew is a thick tomato based casserole, hardly in the stew class put it this way, it featured, huge chunks of cabbage but of course it has cabbage, all stew has cabbage, winter dish would include a vegetable available in late fall early winter in a clear, thin, tasteless hmmmm...this from someone who has smoked for over 30 years....taste buds still working? I think not , liquid .

Stuff like swede or turnip is "Cow food" ( don't ask, it involves a traumatic childhood incident, when she lived on a dairy farm her father managed and found out what the cows were fed in winter). I'll give him that one, haven't eaten either turnip (referred to swede over here) or parsnips since watching Dad make silage as a young child....it is Cow food

As for treats such as dumplings (Yum!) tasteless, somewhat slimy, lumps of dough...Yuck , she finds them appalling, though she does love Yorkshire pudding these are Wonderful!! NO idea why they aren't a popular on the East Coast of Canada as they are here, (unheard of in Canada apparently).

I will now retreat and start licking wounds that will undoubtedly be inflicted once Bettie Boo finds this post. Too Late - it's been found and you'll be living on gruel for the next couple of weeks!! angry.png

It's fair to say that was when she first came over here, these days she's far more sensible, but anything involving wine, or any other alcohol, she'll reject outright, (just to clarify, I love a glass or two of wine, or Baileys, or Cdn Rye Whiskery - I just don't have a taste for red wine sauce or beer in pie) though she eats it just fine when I cook it and not mention the fact.

Bettie here.....LOL

BEngo - your casserole sounds lovely clapping.gif

Edited by Bettie Boo