Who is Daniel Charles

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I once saw a US serviceman brief a British General and use most of the terms above and a few more. At the end of this piece of information there was a pause whereupon the General said:

"What does that actually mean?"

The American chap, somewhat forlornly, replied: "I don't know, Sir, I just read it out."

"I see," replied the General, "Don't bother coming again!"

Daniel Charles' current picnic based drivel surrounds what you would miss most about the canals... implying it will go if you don't cough-up. Seems to me that a good deal of maintenance could be paid for by not employing him!

Edited by davey b

I once saw a US serviceman brief a British General and use most of the terms above and a few more. At the end of this piece of information there was a pause whereupon the General said:

"What does that actually mean?"

The American chap, somewhat forlornly, replied: "I don't know, Sir, I just read it out."

"I see," replied the General, "Don't bother coming again!"

Daniel Charles' current picnic based drivel surrounds what you would miss most about the canals... implying it will go if you don't cough-up. Seems to me that a good deal of maintenance could be paid for by not employing him!

There are actually three of them.

Head of Fundraising is Ruth Ruderham, salary over £70,000 per year plus benefits. She poached Daniel Charles (Individual Giving Manager) from her old charity. She also has a Leadership Giving Manager whose name escapes me for a moment.

Her two direct reports are thought to be on over £50,000 plus benefits.

According to the annual report, in the first nine months of the Trust it lost £900,000 on voluntary income. I suspect the reason that Daniel Charles is active at the moment is that, following disappointing recruitment of 'friends' by chugging, they are putting more effort into recruiting via the CaRT website and email which is much cheaper.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

There are actually three of them.

Head of Fundraising is Ruth Ruderham, salary over £70,000 per year plus benefits. She poached Daniel Charles (Individual Giving Manager) from her old charity. She also has a Leadership Giving Manager whose name escapes me for a moment.

Her two direct reports are thought to be on over £50,000 plus benefits.

According to the annual report, in the first nine months of the Trust it lost £900,000 on voluntary income. I suspect the reason that Daniel Charles is active at the moment is that, following disappointing recruitment of 'friends' by chugging, they are putting more effort into recruiting via the CaRT website and email which is much cheaper.

One would like to think that people who work for a charity in a fundraising position are remunerated on a payment by results basis. Having worked for a national charity in the past, back then there was a clear need to justify one's existence. what chance that this will be in evidence with C&RT?

Access to a lot of NT properties is restricted and you have to pay (or be a member). If you're in to that sort of thing, being a member has advantages.

Not so with the canal system. Only us boaters pay (and a few smaller user groups)

Why would most of the population want to become a member of something that they can get for free anyway.

This has always been my problem with the concept of C&RT as a membership charity. It's a nice idea, but yet to be able to prove itself in the real world. Don't get me wrong either, I'm a supporter of the idea of a more mutual organisation, and approve of Richard Parry as the new boss.

One would like to think that people who work for a charity in a fundraising position are remunerated on a payment by results basis. Having worked for a national charity in the past, back then there was a clear need to justify one's existence. what chance that this will be in evidence with C&RT?

This has always been my problem with the concept of C&RT as a membership charity. It's a nice idea, but yet to be able to prove itself in the real world. Don't get me wrong either, I'm a supporter of the idea of a more mutual organisation, and approve of Richard Parry as the new boss.

Re-organise CRT along the lines of the Co-Op? If you buy a licence, or a mooring, you're automatically a member and get a vote at the AGM? I'd go for that. The details would need working on, of course, so that people with two or three boats didn't get more say than those of us with smaller ones, and so on, but it could work.

True. It's hard to leverage ambitions in smokestack situations

Richard

(Also said by a real human)

Given a bit of time I can normally work out these bullshit sayings, but what the hell does that one mean!

George ex nb Alton retired

"When you're up to the ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that the orignal objective was to drain the swamp"

(Which actually makes more sense icecream.gif )

Iain

All CaRT's directors and over 100 senior staff are bonus earning. I have no doubt the three mentioned plus director Simon Salem have been set targets regarding fundraising which have not been met. However, those targets are not published and CaRT will not say if bonuses (or PRP in corporate-speak) have been paid for last year (2012/13).

With regard to being a membership charity, I think Hales/Evans fought shy of this because it would be dominated by boaters or the network would be given to IWA (a membership charity already in existence).

I was a director of a large recruitment agency, ultimate owner in the US. Every year there was an independantly run employee and customer survey globally. We received feedback on how we were doing against other business units and against our peers. A reasonable % of my bonus was based on improved stats the following year. Would focuss CRTs directors minds perhaps if his as adopted.

• 1 month later...

Some years ago at an International Marketing Meeting for our 'group' the Marketing Director was explaining the various roles and where he 'fit in' using the analogy that "we were trudging thru the mountains and could only see to the next peak. whilst he was flying overhead and getting the 'helicopter view'.

He was not impressed when I asked if it was 'his helicopter' that had caused the avalanche that buried us all

He never used the 'helicopter view' again.

expectation management

who stole my cheese

capitalisation of resources

sacrifice personal ambition for team rewards

virtualisation of brand awareness

do what I do and not what I say

reposition your attitude to take advantage of local gateways

;-)

I used to wear a tie to work.

Then I resigned and became a gypsy.

Edited by DeanS

Ah yes, and the best one of all, 'thinking outside of the box'.

Who, in business, deliberately thinks 'inside the box', rejects 'outside the box' ideas and needs telling to change their habits?

Ok, most managers. I knew that!

MtB

"Individual Giving" is a standard term used by charities. It refers to one off or several major donations from individuals or little collections and payments such as when someone signs up to donate £4 a month to their chosen charity.

There's usually also a Community Fundraising role. That means the person who persuades you to run London Marathon and raise sponsorship for their charity. Or the person who encourages you to sit in a bath full of baked beans.

"Getting all your ducks in a row..."

I worked with someone who actually used to say that......

I also used to work for someone who said that!

i hate the term Blue Sky Thinking.

i hate the term Blue Sky Thinking.

I think it may have been referred to further up but the one that used to really grind my gears was...........

'Taking a helicopter view.....'

I can see that it might be a term used by charities but isn't it a fundemental requirement of organisations that they don't use internal jargon when dealing with their customers?

The last thing they want is to not have their customers onboard with the opportunities being presented to them. So it seems to me that the fundraising managers need to synch with their donator's ways of thinking, embrace their donator's common outlook, and thus bring themselves alongside their donators in such a way that they can maximise their donating effectiveness.

All without sending their donators off in a huff because they are pissed off with bullshit

There's usually also a Community Fundraising role. That means the person who persuades you to run London Marathon and raise sponsorship for their charity. Or the person who encourages you to sit in a bath full of baked beans.

I'm always curious to know what they do with the beans afterwards.

Hopefully they don't donate them to the local cafe. sick.gif

MTB