Brass cleaning

saxplayer

Featured Posts

Is there an easy way? Looking for a simple paint on solution that removes the tarnish on neglected brass . Something similar to using oxalic acid to remove rust stains. Paint it on leave for a few mins then wash it off

Shaun

Try this one...http://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/cleaning-products/miracle-brass-brite/prod_11.html

• 2 years later...

Yes shiny sinks, obtainable from some supermarkets, gets really grotty brass shiny with little effort. Just needs a tart up with brasso afterwards.

Pursuant to your recommending this in another thread (which I can't find at the moment) I scoured (if you see what I mean) the very large branch of Morrison's at Banbury on Friday for this product, but alas they don't stock it. I could not find any in Tesco today either. I guess that as a Hudsonian you would not deign to patronise a lesser supermarket than Waitrose - is that where you bought it?

Edited by Athy

Pursuant to your recommending this in another thread (which I can't find at the moment) I scoured (if you see what I mean) the very large branch of Morrison's at Banbury on Friday for this product, but alas they don't stock it. I could not find any in Tesco today either. I guess that as a Hudsonian you would not deign to patronise a lesser supermarket than Waitrose - is that where you bought it?

Ask Nicks butler. Nick as a Hudson owner knows the high level but leaves the lower to tradesmen. :)

Edited by mark99

Shiny Sinks seems to have incurred the displeasure of the big supermarkets who no longer stock it.

Now it is normally found in "Village Saver" type shops.

George ex nb Alton retired

Life is to short to be spent polishing brass, So paint them and use the time to do something less boring instead.

Exactly. Either the same colour, or a contrast, to the roof, and get out cruising. And if you polish your tiller in full view of people, you WILL get some rude comments!

Amway Metal Cleaner (www.amway.co.uk/product/112160,l-o-c-metal-cleaner#.Us6O0PNFCUk) is the easiest I have found for use on the boat, but you can't beat a proper mop and polishing soap if the brass is not fitted.

Amway is good, as is getting it on a buffing mop if you can.

This is what you need, Ive used lots of this stuff, and very intresting to watch too....

http://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/cleaning-products/miracle-brass-brite/prod_11.html

Also their paste version.

https://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/brass-mate.html

Green scouring pads and brass also works, as long as it's a fairly fine and uniform pad else you can get scratches.

Also, paint plenty, lacquer odd bits, and allow much of it to got its natural shade.

Daniel

Polished brass was a measure of the pride taken by working boaters in their craft. I try to maintain those standards, despite not living aboard as they did, along with white rope work and a clear, uncluttered roof. Few modern boaters may understand,

Dave

Polished brass was a measure of the pride taken by working boaters in their craft. I try to maintain those standards, despite not living aboard as they did, along with white rope work and a clear, uncluttered roof. Few modern boaters may understand,

Dave

Similar to old school signalmen who polished the levers until they shone

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Dave

Absolutely. So often it's when you're doing the cleaning or other general husbandry that you notice the little things that need attention before they become bigger things. If you can't be bothered with the details, what else are you neglecting?

Shiny Sinks seems to have incurred the displeasure of the big supermarkets who no longer stock it.

Last place I bought any was Wilkinsons.

I've no idea if they still have it, though.

I often polish the tiller and slide runners whilst boating along on a straight bit of cut. Far easier polishing on a butty when on cross straps as generally not much steering required but only a chimney and chain to polish on the butty.

Similar to old school signalmen who polished the levers until they shone

I have even visited boxes where the signalman tied dusters around his shoes so he polished the floor as he walked.

Needless to say, if you needed to sign the book it was brought to the door for you, you certainly didn't get over the threshold with your dirty boots on!

George ex nb Alton retired

I think polished external brass on a narrowboat looks spiffingly good. It's like a ritual when we are out. Get up, whilst breakfast is cooking quick wipe over with brass cleaner if the weather is set fair.

Talking about signal boxes what were the cloths used for that dangle off the levers? Was that for polishing?

I think there was a cosmetic element to them, yes, but they were also there because some of the levers, if they operated signals a good distance away, were bloody hard to pull, so the cloths or dusters make them less harsh on the signalman's hands. At least, that's what I remember the signalman at Hertford North box telling me when I was allowed into the box circa 1970.

We have at least one professional signalman on CWF who will surely know.

Talking about signal boxes what were the cloths used for that dangle off the levers? Was that for polishing?

The moisture on your hands will cause the metal to tarnish if left. So now you've polished all your brightwork Mark.... get your mucky paws off it! :)

Oxalic acid works on brass as well as rusty steel. Barkeepers friend contains oxalic acid, or did. Nitric acid is good for getting off tarnish, but you really need to take the brass off the boat, and it's hard to get hold of.

Amway Metal Cleaner (www.amway.co.uk/product/112160,l-o-c-metal-cleaner#.Us6O0PNFCUk) is the easiest I have found for use on the boat, but you can't beat a proper mop and polishing soap if the brass is not fitted.

N

Oxalic acid is rather toxic and since a solution is colourless it might be mistaken for water. I suggest it is labelled as poisonous and kept away from children.

Oxalic acid is rather toxic and since a solution is colourless it might be mistaken for water. I suggest it is labelled as poisonous and kept away from children.

Lots of oxalic acid in rhubarb maybe we could use a stick to clean brass?

The leaves are actually a much richer source which is why they are so poisonous; since they are usually slung perhaps they could be scrunched up & used as a cleaner.

HH

Lots of oxalic acid in rhubarb maybe we could use a stick to clean brass?

The leaves are actually a much richer source which is why they are so poisonous; since they are usually slung perhaps they could be scrunched up & used as a cleaner.

HH

Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid, like toilet limescale remover. It removes the tarnish from copper coins, so perhaps Coke would be useful for cleaning mushrooms. I keep meaning to try. I suspect that limescale remover would be a bit too aggressive and it's another toxic chemical to keep away from kids.