Morso Squirrel 1430 secondary ventilation

Featured Posts

This may well be covered elsewhere, in which case my apologies, but I've not found it yet.

We have just changed boats, and the new one has a Squirrel stove. Under the ash lip there is a lever for secondary ventilation. It appears to be stuck, as it moves perhaps 3mm left or right from a central position. Reading the Morso manual and going online to their site hasn't given any more insight into what is probably an embarrassingly simple thing to solve. Help please.

Edited by Stilllearning

This may well be covered elsewhere, in which case my apologies, but I've not found it yet.

We have just changed boats, and the new one has a Squirrel stove. Under the ash lip there is a lever for secondary ventilation. It appears to be stuck, as it moves perhaps 3mm left or right from a central position. Reading the Morso manual and going online to their site hasn't given any more insight into what is probably an embarrassingly simple thing to solve. Help please.

Try lifting it up.

It is "up", in as much as I can tell. It's almost touching the ash lip, feels as if its on a spring mount, and only moves fractionally to the side. It will move down, but as it seems to be sprung, moves straight back up by itself.

The secondary ventilation is the round knob on the front of the stove door I think.

The primary vent is the bottom one and they turn in or out

I think the lever you are talking about is just that. A lever. Maybe I have misunderstood your post.

The secondary ventilation is the round knob on the front of the stove door I think.

The primary vent is the bottom one and they turn in or out

I think the lever you are talking about is just that. A lever. Maybe I have misunderstood your post.

It is the lever I am talking about. Using the round control is fine, and easy, it's just that since there is the secondary system, I want to try using it.

Push to left is closed and right is open. If you look at the back of the stove on the top right corner you'll hopefully see the flap move (opposite direction to the lever from memory). Seems a stupid system to me and meant to give air wash to glass but can't tell any difference to the 1410 version.

Hope this helps.

Tom

You're right. The manual is not clear on how to operate the secondary air supply. Sounds like the mechanism, which apparently connects to a rear vent, may be seized. in which case you'll have to get down and dirty to have a look at how it connects to the rear vent. If it hasn't been moved for a while, it's probably stuck at the vent end of the lever mechanism. The only direction you don't mention having tried to move it is out - have you tried pulling it?

Edited to say that Tom posted just as I was. It certainly sounds as if the lever and flap system is stuck - not surprising, as it seems overly complicated. I believe it was designed like that to give a larger glass area.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Push to left is closed and right is open. If you look at the back of the stove on the top right corner you'll hopefully see the flap move (opposite direction to the lever from memory). Seems a stupid system to me and meant to give air wash to glass but can't tell any difference to the 1410 version.

Hope this helps.

Tom

It is the lever I am talking about. Using the round control is fine, and easy, it's just that since there is the secondary system, I want to try using it.

You're right. The manual is not clear on how to operate the secondary air supply. Sounds like the mechanism, which apparently connects to a rear vent, may be seized. in which case you'll have to get down and dirty to have a look at how it connects to the rear vent. If it hasn't been moved for a while, it's probably stuck at the vent end of the lever mechanism. The only direction you don't mention having tried to move it is out - have you tried pulling it?

Edited to say that Tom posted just as I was. It certainly sounds as if the lever and flap system is stuck - not surprising, as it seems overly complicated. I believe it was designed like that to give a larger glass area.

Excellent, yes it all makes sense now. As the fire is lit it will have to wait till it's cold enough to play around with. Thanks.

Thanks Mac, it was good to get confirmation!

I had wondered what the lever was for at the back.....

I have a Morso Squirrel with a black knob at the bottom which moves left to right and controls the secondary air from the small inlet at the back, top, right.

It may provide an airwash over the glass but after some experimentation I usually leave it in the middle setting.

At one time my house was heated by a Thermorossi multi-fuel boiler/cooker. This had a a secondary air control at the top of the firebox. There was no glass, the purpose was to obtain secondary combustion of fumes from coal.

IIRC, this was usually closed when burning seasoned wood. When burning coal the secondary draught was opened sufficiently to obtain a bright flame above the coals.

HTH, Alan

I have a Morso Squirrel with a black knob at the bottom which moves left to right and controls the secondary air from the small inlet at the back, top, right.

It may provide an airwash over the glass but after some experimentation I usually leave it in the middle setting.

At one time my house was heated by a Thermorossi multi-fuel boiler/cooker. This had a a secondary air control at the top of the firebox. There was no glass, the purpose was to obtain secondary combustion of fumes from coal.

IIRC, this was usually closed when burning seasoned wood. When burning coal the secondary draught was opened sufficiently to obtain a bright flame above the coals.

HTH, Alan

Thanks Alan, yes, all relevant information is useful!

How I use controls,

Ash pan door wheel always shut unless getting the fire going or for about one minute just after refuel.

Knob below ashtray, half open during day, quarter open at night.

Boat stays between 18° and 25° C depending on setting.

How I use controls,

Ash pan door wheel always shut unless getting the fire going or for about one minute just after refuel.

Knob below ashtray, half open during day, quarter open at night.

Boat stays between 18° and 25° C depending on setting.

The knob on our boat is stuck in the middle, under the centre of the ash lip, is that half open?

Edited by Stilllearning

I've got two squirrels at home, one of each type. The one with the slider control definitely keeps the glass cleaner (and the glass is about 1" taller) which I think is the main purpose as these stoves are sold as "self cleaning". The other reason for it is having the air intake at the back means the air drawn in is warmer than if the secondary intake is on the front, so it's supposed to be slightly more efficient.

If I was buying another though I would probably go for the simpler front control type as I think these things should really be as simple as possible.