CRT evictions of disabled boaters

Rambling

Featured Posts

However, if he wants to maximise his audience then he needs to reduce any kind of additional work for the reader. It may seem trivial, but any change of colour, background, font, pointsize, etc. etc. is more work. That tiny increase in work will often make someone go elsewhere, although the reader is probably unaware of what is happening.

Perhaps maximisation of audience isn't important. I cant speak for Nigel but i certainly dont care how many people read my posts

Also, If a tiny increase of 'work' due to font size puts someone off reading his posts then they probably dont have the intelligence to understand them anyway as they sometimes do require a bit of effort or more than one read through to grasp the point

I dont really understand why he gets a hard time on here

The font size problem comes about because Nigel composes his posts in 'Word' and then 'pastes' it into the forum rather than use 'paste as plain text'.

Thus you get the same formatting as was used in the program it was originally created in. Using 'paste as plain text' loses the original formatting and the post adopts the default forum font and size.

I have told him before how to avoid doing it (and potentially get up people's noses or cause irritation/turn people off) but he seems to have forgotten again

You have indeed told me how to do this, for which I was grateful, but the option you describe doesn’t happen for me – I get no “paste as plain text” option at all, it’s “paste” or nothing. Then again, the way the end result shows up on my screen bears no relation to what I have done, for example my text looks smaller than everyone else’s on my screen – not larger.

It can’t just be me – I notice that where MtB quotes part of my post, it looks smaller type than his own also, yet where The Dog House does the same , it does come out larger. That is just weird.

I’ve tried altering the text from the site’s toolbar, but that just makes everything bizarre. I didn't seem to have this problem when using my default Font, but I changed that to Ariel for posting here, because people complained Times New Roman was too difficult to read!

I’m trying this typing from how the standard site text copies into Word, and see how it goes – but you’ll need to tell me, because as I say, what I see on my screen is obviously at variance with that of others.

It works this way for me. In word I have the font size at 14 it looks a bit big but the transfers OK on to the post.

The other way is to change it one it is on your post before posing by going into "size" in the tool bar like I have just done now.This was size 24! And even smaller

You have indeed told me how to do this, for which I was grateful, but the option you describe doesn’t happen for me – I get no “paste as plain text” option at all, it’s “paste” or nothing. Then again, the way the end result shows up on my screen bears no relation to what I have done, for example my text looks smaller than everyone else’s on my screen – not larger.

It can’t just be me – I notice that where MtB quotes part of my post, it looks smaller type than his own also, yet where The Dog House does the same , it does come out larger. That is just weird.

I’ve tried altering the text from the site’s toolbar, but that just makes everything bizarre. I didn't seem to have this problem when using my default Font, but I changed that to Ariel for posting here, because people complained Times New Roman was too difficult to read!

I’m trying this typing from how the standard site text copies into Word, and see how it goes – but you’ll need to tell me, because as I say, what I see on my screen is obviously at variance with that of others.

Now ALL this is weird...!

The text of yours I quoted appears on my screen as enormous, about twice the size of 'normal' text as posted by others and myself, and in bold format. Both your original post and the quoted part included in my own post commenting on your text size.

There are three surefire methods of getting rid of unwanted formatting when posting:

1) Compose your posts directly in the 'Reply' box at the bottom of each screen, same as I'm doing now.

2) Compose your posts in a simple text editor such as Notepad, then copy and paste into CWF

3) Compose in Word as normal, then paste into Notepad. This strips out ALL formatting, then copy from Notepad and paste into CWF

Option 1) seems the simplest to me.

MtB

Why not just type your replies in here then? Your browser will spot any spelling errors assuming it has a spell check add on enabled.

What I can't work out though is that some your posts subsequent to my explanation were formatted normally.

Ed. A couple of others have beaten me to it.

Edited by The Dog House

Also, If a tiny increase of 'work' due to font size puts someone off reading his posts then they probably dont have the intelligence to understand them anyway as they sometimes do require a bit of effort or more than one read through to grasp the point

I don't think its anything to do with lack of intelligence, more a lack of determination

And to be honest with you, I resent the implication

Edited by Bazza2

Perhaps maximisation of audience isn't important. I cant speak for Nigel but i certainly dont care how many people read my posts

I dont really understand why he gets a hard time on here

How patronising is that?

It's nothing to with a lack of intelligence, though maybe we should have a section of the forum where only members with a certain IQ are able to post...would that help? do you think?

Now ALL this is weird...!

The text of yours I quoted appears on my screen as enormous, about twice the size of 'normal' text as posted by others and myself, and in bold format. Both your original post and the quoted part included in my own post commenting on your text size.

There are three surefire methods of getting rid of unwanted formatting when posting:

1) Compose your posts directly in the 'Reply' box at the bottom of each screen, same as I'm doing now.

2) Compose your posts in a simple text editor such as Notepad, then copy and paste into CWF

3) Compose in Word as normal, then paste into Notepad. This strips out ALL formatting, then copy from Notepad and paste into CWF

Option 1) seems the simplest to me.

MtB

Option 1 requires me to sit at the laptop non-stop from start to finish rather than take my time over a post in-between doing other things from time to time. Doing it in Word allows more freedom and accuracy and almost more importantly, enforces a calming distance between postings, which might otherwise veer to the more colourful and unhelpfully personal at times.

The ‘Notepad’ suggestion sounds good, but I don’t appear to have that on my newly streamlined laptop either . . . no, I've found it, so will give Option 3 a try next time.

How’s this lot working out?

Option 1 requires me to sit at the laptop non-stop from start to finish rather than take my time over a post in-between doing other things from time to time. Doing it in Word allows more freedom and accuracy and almost more importantly, enforces a calming distance between postings, which might otherwise veer to the more colourful and unhelpfully personal at times.

The ‘Notepad’ suggestion sounds good, but I don’t appear to have that on my newly streamlined laptop either . . . no, I've found it, so will give Option 3 a try next time.

But you can do all of that using the editor on here.

Open a tab in your browser to respond in thread and just leave it open for as long as you like alter what it contains as much as you like and when satisfied use the preview option and when 100% happy press post.

What I can't work out though is that some your posts subsequent to my explanation were formatted normally.

As I say, it is eerily inconsistent; I’ve been doing the same thing each time following your first advice.

This posting is following MtB's Option 3. But it starts from how the site Font translates into Word when copied and pasted anyway.

As I say, it is eerily inconsistent; I’ve been doing the same thing each time following your first advice.

This posting is following MtB's Option 3. But it starts from how the site Font translates into Word when copied and pasted anyway.

Which browser and which version are you using?

Your posts all look perfect and normal using Option 3).

I've even read them all!

:D

MtB

P.S. As TDH says, you can keep a separate tab open in most browsers in which to compose a post over any amount of time you wish. Days if necessary.

P.P.S. It even appears to auto-save so if you shut down the PC then later come back to the thread, your half composed post will still be there. Never dared try this though myself!

Which browser and which version are you using?

Internet Explorer, an earlier version than the current one I think.

Your posts all look perfect and normal using Option 3).

I've even read them all!

Wow. That was going above and beyond!

Advice from all much appreciated.

Let's see whether it works consistently from now on.

Internet Explorer, an earlier version than the current one I think.

Fairy nuff - version 11 can be problematic with the forum, it was a bit of a shot in the dark TBH.

I see nothing in Jenlyn's post that supports that assertion.

Reverting to topic . . .

There wasn’t anything in Jenlyn’s post supporting the assertion that the authority advertises s.8 powers in a way that is “blatantly aggressive and threatening”; I was not relying on the CaRT rejoinder he posted, but on my own past and present experience.

For some years the waterways in London were blanketed with variations of the poster below –

s8posterthreat.jpg

I personally found and find these to be unpleasantly on a par with the notorious TV Licence ads. I pay my various licences, and I expect others should also, but I find the naked aggression of these approaches to persuasion highly objectionable. If anything, the confrontational nature of them tempts me to defiance.

...and now?

I am aware the same phrase still appears on CRT licence renewal paperwork but surely it's just a statement of fact.

Edited by The Dog House

I don't think its anything to do with lack of intelligence, more a lack of determination

And to be honest with you, I resent the implication

It was an opinion, not an inference; to rephrase.

if an increase in font size puts someone off reading a post (which may take a bit of work to grasp anyway) from someone with a lot of knowledge and experience in the area being discussed, which is presumably of interest to them, then that person is letting their reluctance to do a tiny bit of 'work' prevent them from informing themselves on the subject they are discussing. I would say that correlates with intelligence.

Not sure why you resent it. Did you miss the 'probably'?

is it your own inference you resent?

That's better!!

Edited by Graham Davis

I'm not going to play amateur psychology with you Lonewolf

I reckon you know perfectly well what you were inferring

I would agree and the reply etc passes by the fact that not everyone reads as easily as some. The size and shape of print can be a very real barrier for some. To tar everyone who can't/won't read as probably/possibly lacking intelligence is in my opinion plain wrong.

Just my opinion of course.

Plus surely it requires a degree of intelligence to be able to discern which which posts are relevant and meaningful.

Just filling a post with a load of legal jargon in a big font does not mean it constitutes fact.

Plus surely it requires a degree of intelligence to be able to discern which which posts are relevant and meaningful.

Just filling a post with a load of legal jargon in a big font does not mean it constitutes fact.

True but filling a post in normal font does sometimes mean its just waffle

Coat

True but filling a post in normal font does sometimes mean its just waffle

Coat

True and it requires a degree of intelligence to be able to tell the difference.

Reverting to topic . . .

There wasnt anything in Jenlyns post supporting the assertion that the authority advertises s.8 powers in a way that is blatantly aggressive and threatening; I was not relying on the CaRT rejoinder he posted, but on my own past and present experience.

For some years the waterways in London were blanketed with variations of the poster below

I personally found and find these to be unpleasantly on a par with the notorious TV Licence ads. I pay my various licences, and I expect others should also, but I find the naked aggression of these approaches to persuasion highly objectionable. If anything, the confrontational nature of them tempts me to defiance.

I personally don't find such advertisements unpleasant or aggressive. They are certainly on a par with campaigns to get people to pay their tv licence, road tax, car insurance, to not drink and drive and even (a few years ago) to not get AIDS. With any such campaign, it is to be expected that they don't apply to most people, and are aimed at those not doing the right thing. Surely it does not take too much intelligence to realise this?

How should a publicity campaign aimed at increasing licence uptake run, so as to be effective without offending you?

Edited by nicknorman